Why can't we counter bosses?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Larfleeze, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Larfleeze New Player

They can counter us and stun/knock lock us. They can block break us. They can lunge on us.
    But we can't do any of that to them. Is there any reason why we can't counter their weapon attacks like we can with every single other mob in the game? Doesn't make sense to me that we can't.
  2. RiskVsReward New Player

Because they're bosses, your counters mean nothing to them
    • Like x 2
  3. Tvuski Well-Known Player

Sure we can! I counter Avatar of Sin in Trigon's prison all the time. Now, if the boss you're fighting doesn't have a humanoid appearance, you won't be able to counter it at all.
    • Like x 4
  4. Volkenraider Loyal Player

I'm pretty sure you can.. Last I checked Lex/Bats, Sinestro can get counterd

Some cant... Tbh its not that bad lol
    • Like x 2
  5. SKAVANGER408 New Player

Of course you can but they don't register sometimes.
  6. Larfleeze New Player

I know for a fact that this is incorrect as I just finished Trigons Prison literally 5 minutes before I posted this, and that place was the reason I posted it. Can't block break him, can't block 3 attacks to knock him down, and he doesn't use a ranged attack so you can't lunge him.

:rolleyes:
    • Like x 2
  7. Eranthis New Player

[IMG]

Of course you can. Lets say you're in a raid and sinestro blocks like at least 4 or 5 people need to do block breaker on him in order for him to fall back on the floor. ;)
    • Like x 1
  8. Tvuski Well-Known Player

No, really! You can toootallyy counter him. Just make sure he isn't flashing blue.
    • Like x 2
  9. PurpCity New Player

Anyone remember those Prime days when entire raids would go in with Orbital strikes and perma-stun the crap out of all of the Avatars AND Brainiac so they couldn't fight back :D.

Was it fair? Probably not. It was just too darn hilarious to turn big ole Brainiac into a tiny ghosts and watch him run around lol.
    • Like x 3
  10. Lucaefor New Player

The devs looked at the situation of a raid team spamming blockbreakers on bosses and decided to put code in to give them a measure of immunity to counter mechanics. As a tank though I will verify that block countering is still fairly effective, it's the block breakers that rarely register.

Big problem there is with the amount that Bosses block these days and it can seriously ruin the enjoyment. Shade of Martha Wayne in Trigons is just the worst, you tap melee on her once and she turtles then trying to get a block break to counter her is nigh impossible. Really hate that room actually.
    • Like x 4
  11. Larfleeze New Player

I really hate the entire Trigons Prison.
    The Shades will constantly block you, the Sons of Trigon will constantly block and lunge you, and the Avatar will constantly block you.
  12. Lucaefor New Player

Trigon doesn't block! Yeah it's a real PITA. Future Lex and Superman (who should be evil Superman as it's alternate Metropolis) in BIA is another blocking hotspot, those two are ridiculous as well.
  13. BumblingB I got better.

The 3 tap rule doesn't apply to NPCs.
    The blue immunity makes them invulnerable to counters. If they keep countering you or a teammate, they are basically counter godmode.
    The blue immunity has to go from bosses. It's just stupid and further allows the game to cheat as you don't get the same luxury.
    • Like x 4
  14. Tvuski Well-Known Player

We get a reduction to incoming damage, however. Bosses don't when they counter.
  15. Lucaefor New Player

Unsure. Problem with countering bosses is giving immunity to the tank and I can kinda see why the devs would have a problem with that. Though nobody likes the setup at the moment (for me as a tank it's a real nightmare sometimes) I feel the better solution would be to script bosses not to block and lunge so much, meaning they expose themselves less often to the counter system. It would achieve the same desired effect as counter immunity without having any negative impact on gameplay.

Dunno why bosses bother to block anyway. If they need more mitigation it would be easier to bump their stats and just give them more defense rather than attempt to take the piss out of everyone all the time.
    • Like x 1
  16. Maxx_Watt Loyal Player

Yeah that has to be one of the more annoying spots it the game, personally I think they went way over board with the block/knockdown/stun thing in this game. So much so there are more instances I won't do than I will do mainly because it's frustrating to constantly watch my toon getting up, PvP is just a joke as well when your getting knocked down while your already knocked down.
    • Like x 2
  17. Green Lantern New Player

I don't know what they were thinking with the Avatar of Sin battle. He's this giant hulking demon and all he does is cower in block 95% of the time.
    • Like x 1
  18. BumblingB I got better.

They also have way more health and defense than any player has. It is designed to have 1-8 players fighting. It's not the same. They said they have the blue immunity so it doesn't trivialize the boss fight, but the tank CAN keep a boss countered if the boss doesn't farm immunity from teammates. It's annoying to have him get those farmed counters. Plus, it also makes it where you just want to stay range and leave it for the tank. What happened to melee? We can't fight the boss, we either get countered or oneshot or both. Ugh.

I'm asking for the immunity to go away from bosses, not counters. (Though I would love to have them go too. I hate them so much. The game cheats worse than a hacking player.) We were doing fine w/o bosses having the immunity. Before GU32, you got immunity if you countered, but it was rare for a boss to get countered. No trivialized fight. It worked. The tank can work fine too. After GU32, the bosses blocked, lunge, and BB almost after every power. They tend to farm the blue immunity off the tank or teammate to the extent that they are flashing blue almost nonstop. Which trivializes the counter system and just leaves the boss/npc in God mode. The tank can't farm any of the immunities and the boss is still wailing on the tank. I don't see your reasoning working, when it's basically just a cheat.

When I run trigon's prison, which is the instance mentioned by the OP, the avatar of sin can't be tanked very well. He is scripted to jump around. In other words, he farms that immunity great. In PvP, I can farm immunity easier when it is more than one player on me. Because I can just lunge or block one player as they always do different things.

Match NPCs block only for the sheer reason to just lower the incoming damage and lengthen the fight. Some NPCs can block for 1 damage. I block the same NPC and I get up to 1000 a tick. That isn't fair one bit.

The counter system in PvE is flawed. I HATE IT. If they went back to the way it was before GU32, I could tolerate it. If they removed it altogether, I would jump for joy. Match NPCs have had an unfair advantage since they were first introduced in GU17/18. Now they essentially have God mode counters and stay flashing blue. It's stupid.

Edit: Bosses aside, the Match NPCs also make controllers useless as they breakout AND give CC immunity upon breakout to an NPC. So in the end, the tank can't even pull them and they can't stay stunned.
    • Like x 1
  19. Errorcode1058 New Player

I just want the bosses to start debuffing us. Please???
    This would raise the prestige/need for tanks with their cleanse moves.
    • Like x 3
  20. Lucaefor New Player

Quite a lot to cover. The only real sticking point is that the devs have got to try and make a game out of it somehow but I agree there must be better ways of doing things. Mainly I guess you are suffering from being a longtime player that was around before the PVP mechanics were introduced to PVE as most people around now don't know any different.

Your last point however is something that badly needs attention. I've been banned in fact for ridiculing developers about Dominance. Really wish they would sort the whole CC mess out but it probably won't happen for a long time I suspect.
    • Like x 2