When Random Isn't Random

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Rockhound665, Mar 16, 2015.

1. BumblingB I got better.

• Like x 2
  2. just an honest dps New Player

that's not a pattern. a pattern would be if that was the same for everyone in the entire game and it's reproducable yet we see varying levels of "luck" for different players. just because some loots are rarer than others does not mean the drops are not random.

if you have a normal coin, no tricks, and flip it a million times and it's always on heads that is still random outcome.
  3. Gwynbleidd New Player

So basically you're saying the weapon type my character uses is considered a rare loot o_O
    (That's what I meant with the negative weighting)

[quote="if you have a normal coin, no tricks, and flip it a million times and it's always on heads that is still random outcome.[/quote]

That's where the loot system should counter-balance the negative sides of randomness to avoid weird outcomes.
  4. just an honest dps New Player

No, that's not what I'm saying...I'm just saying that even with rarities in place the drops you get are still based on randomness. You don't know what you're going to get.

If you guys had read the announcements, you'd know the devs are trying to do this.
  5. Gwynbleidd New Player

That's right, i read those announcements. The devs stated they are not going to change the weighting or how this system works in general. Additionally the changes apply only to "rare loot" and/or the upcoming DLCs, sorry "episodes".

For the rest, I don't need to know what I will get. I'm fine with randomness, as long as it is a controlled randomness. Meaning, the chances to get something useful (especially in the case of weapons) always should be slightly higher not lower. The weighting is the problem, not the actual randomness.
  6. just an honest dps New Player

yeah if you want the probabilities to be adjusted that's fine. just don't go saying things like the op is saying.. (i.e. "random isn't random", "the loot isn't random")
  7. Gwynbleidd New Player

Never said something like that.
    The choice of the title might be a little unlucky ;), agreed - in the end it really is about probabilities being low.
  8. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Ran another alert. 1H, 2H, MA "randomly" dropped. Still no HB has dropped on this character. Has to be random. :rolleyes:
  9. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I dare you to talk trash to my face.
  10. Sore Steadfast Player

11. Dene Devoted Player

Your example of collections is illogical.. they are weighted.. certain are marked as rare.. this is across the board for us all, not based on whether we have it or not or anything else.. a rare collection is a rare collection.. what you are saying is you believe that because you have HB equipped the game "knows"this and is changing the weighting or chance % of you getting hb.. these are two seperate things
  12. Dene Devoted Player

noone has denied the game has "weighting"in it.. the chances of certain things dropping are most certainly rare than others in a fair few cases in this game, collections .. rare iconic items and omnipotent stuff are just 3 obvious examples.. - what i find very hard to believe is that the game is so intelligent that it knows you want hb and is working against you to so you do not get them..
  13. just an honest dps New Player

what trash? i'm just telling you that you have the wrong idea of what random is. i would have no problems telling you that to your face. it's really not that big a deal.
  14. impulse1 Well-Known Player

I ran the Catwoman solo recently with an alt I am bringing up and got FIVE 52CR BACK pieces!!!

FIVE???

Somewhat annoyed, I spent my 12 replay badges, ran it again and got 2 BACKS, 1 WAIST, 1 LEGS and 1 HANDS.

Is random random?

Got me...
  15. SYNDICOR2525 Dedicated Player

My love for random is random
  16. Gwynbleidd New Player

Well, that is not a matter of intelligence but programming. If you create a character using a certain weapon type, that info is saved in/by the game - so of course it does "know". Question is, if the chance for a weapon you are specced in to drop is lowered (weighting)...
  17. Stamen Dedicated Player

Either way, it's getting fixed I think.

Random is difficult to understand in a group setting especially. It's like the famous birthday paradox -- with 365 possible birthdays, how is it in a room of 30 people you often find someone with the same birthday as yours?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

So you're running Thrones and three people get ring drops. Or Halls and three people get blue hands. There are a lot less than 30 in a raid group, but a lot less than 365 potential loot drops too. So it becomes actually less likely at a certain point that you won't have duplicate drops, than you will.

It's a bit difficult for the human brain to figure out how seemingly crazy things actually are (not only possible), but statistically probable. It's why so many people struggle with the concept of evolution. Something "seems off."

I confess to not "feeling" like the drops are random - especially when you run a Thrones and three people get blue hands. Just because we did, doesn't mean there is something wrong with the math. It just means that the math doesn't FEEL very good.

Either way, thankfully.... a fix is coming. Hopefully soon!
  18. Gwynbleidd New Player

Randomness can indeed cause crazy things to happen, but the chances are usually low, as long as the probabilities for different pieces to drop are equal. When people experience such strange drop-incidents of 5 belts, 3 boots etc. the reason is, that drop probabilities are not equal (i.e. belts much less rare than chest).

While this is still less of an issue with armor (though you can go nuts when trying to complete sets), it is much worse for weapons, as you can only have one equipped - an all-or-nothing situation.
    Unfortunately the devs seem not to improve weapon drops in the near future.
  19. Menelaos Dedicated Player

Hurry up and get to a lCR in which you can purchase a weapon so this isn't an issue.
  20. Xanoth Dedicated Player

Yes because not liking the RNG means I don't want to play online with others?

I'm used to illogical nonsense being spouted on the internet, but normally there is at least a tenuous link to reason...
    • Like x 2