What scares you?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Wallachia, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Wallachia Devoted Player

Hello, how are you?

Well, this is a more 'serious' thread of mine. Consider it, erm, work research. I'm writing a very short script for an international festival and I'm supposed to make a very very very scary plot. So, the scenario is: a guy is stuck in his messy bedroom, alone, trying to write a story. Yes, the 'inception' of a writer writing about a writer is on purpose. Now, I have 3 minutes to make his experience look very traumatic and very scary. Or, if you wish to go thematic: how would Scarecrow torture this guy?

I am not asking you to do my work for me, I'm asking you to tell me what you're afraid of so I can know which direction to go. After all, as a screenwriter I am supposed to create scripts that would appeal to potential viewers, no?

Shoot ideas away. Thank you in advance.
    • Like x 1
  2. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I think for myself and possibly others, there is a fear of failure or disappointing/upsetting/letting down others.
    • Like x 1
  3. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

Heiny's bareness
    Queen CC's wrath
    Zod's creepy bobble head
    Deathmike's awesomeness
    Bern's unit
    • Like x 3
  4. Mangy780 Well-Known Player

Being buried alive.
    Alone floating in space.

Or my actual phobia....escalators. No joke.
  5. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

[IMG]
  6. Malachyte Devoted Player

Besides something happening to one of my kids....

this is what scares me the most !!!!

[IMG]
  7. Bhanqwa Well-Known Player

Any scenario where death/severe mutilation is imminent, and a cure/escape is unlikely. Possibly worse if you're stuck having to choose between two such scenarios (like someone holding you at gunpoint making you choose).
    • Like x 1
  8. dngnb8 Devoted Player

This years current candidates for the Presidential Election
    • Like x 9
  9. Andromalius New Player

Micro-Transactions.

And...

A room with a MOOSE!!
  10. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Well, a scary thing that once happened to me. I was on a tournament and received a nasty kick to the head (Which probably explains a lot of things doesnt it? :D ) , the sneaky kind of kick that goes through your defense and you only realize it's there until it hits.
    Anyway, I woke up and for some seconds (that felt like really long seconds) I wasn't sure of who i was, i mean, i recalled the tournament and all, but it was like, i wasn't sure exactly "who" i was in that scenario, not sure if i'm explaining myself, like, at the same time, i "knew" i was my teacher, and the ref, and a friend attending, and both participants, etc. but i was also aware that i wasn sure which one of them i was.

Scariest thing i've ever experienced, i dont scare easy, but idk, kind of ...the knowing you dont know your identity, or something.

But i digress, my contribution was that the writer could (somehow) realize that he is not the writer even if he is sure he is? or something like that xP i'm no good writer hope something in this shapeless rambling helps
    • Like x 2
  11. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

o_O

This type of question sounds suspiciously like something a sneaky ne'er-do-well would ask in order to determine one's weakness.

I'm onto you're nefarious plans!
  12. Ichiro Loyal Player

depends on the hook you are going for.

realistic fears like death and taxes

supernatural or unexplained fears like ghosts or poltergeists

shock fear like loud noises, falling, or explosions

Fear is a reaction s to the suspense that is built up with a lasting effect. The better the build up of the suspense creates a larger reactions which leads to longer lasting effects. Since your character is a writer maybe he is doing research on his topic and finds out that he is some how connected to it. maybe doing research to write about a serial killer which the mess in his room could be the research. then when he gets to the end he finds all of the murder photos spell his name and then the killer gets him.
  13. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

Religious people frighten me to no end.
  14. The 14th Doctor Dedicated Player

I'm being chased by the Navy. It's not particularly scary to me, but I imagine someone might be scared, especially given the circumstance.
    They tried to recruit me after I did a thing.
    I said no.
    They tried tricking me into signing a paper in which I enlist
    I said no
    They said they would be in my general area on Thursday so that we can talk (sent via text)
    Now I'm running from the Navy.
    Scary.
  15. Bhanqwa Well-Known Player

[IMG]
  16. Echo Blue Committed Player

Hello everyone,

My closest scares me. I think a ghost uses it. I hear movement in there every so often. I find the closet door left open at times and would just shut it closed, to come back later and find it open. It freaked me out so I took all my stuff out of the closet and just laid it on my dresser. Someone or something hung them all back up. It freaked me out so bad I moved my dresser in front of the door so it wouldn't open. But I could hear something moving in the closet and rubbing against the door. I finally just moved the dresser and let what happens happen. Something always opens the closet door and I close it. I don't wear the clothes from the closet anymore. I've never seen the door open...and I don't want to! I just do my thing and my ghost room/closet mate does his/hers thing.
  17. killercomic Dedicated Player

Egg Salad. Eggs and Mayonnaise together! I can't think of a more Addams Family combination than that.
  18. Bhanqwa Well-Known Player

I don't mind that, it's mayo with bread that I do dread.
  19. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

The writer is suffering from writer's block. Despite the mess, the room is set up exactly how the writer likes it. Every time the writer looks down to begin typing the writer looks up to notice something in the room has been moved or has changed like mundane items like figurines and pictures facing the wrong directions. Eventually rather then continually getting up to put things back in it's place or to investigate, the writer just begins to frantically take notes on the changes observed in the room, looking down and up from their work to the room until...

The writer realizes they just basically ripped off Lights Out...:D

• Like x 1
  20. Yaoi Pope Dedicated Player

I used to listen to a lot of videos on youtube where people read scary stories. The ones that always had of way of really freaking me out, are the ones where...well nothing really happened to them. So you are just left with thinking about all of the things that COULD have happened.

Like I remember one where a teenage girl was babysitting. After she put the kids to bed she went in the living room to watch tv and do her homework. She started hearing things down stairs but thought it was the pipes. She ignored it for a little while, but when she kept hearing it, to be on the safe side she called 911. She was told an officer was already close by and would be there soon. A few minutes later when she hears a knock on the door she opens it up thinking it would be just 1 or 2 cops, but instead it's an entire swat team. After the girl hung up the phone, the operator was still on the line for a moment, and she heard a 2nd phone line hang up. So knowing someone was in the house listening to the call she went ahead and called in for a swat. - They found a man in the basement.

Another young girl story that haunted me, was a she was riding the bus home from work late at night. She had ipod and was listening to music. When she turned it off to switch some songs around, she could hear the 3 men in the back of the bus speaking to one another in spanish. She took spanish in school and tho she could not make out every word, she knew they were talking about her and saying where she gets off the bus it's really dark, and there are no houses close by it the stop. So pretends that she is still listening to music, and she sends her mother a text message saying she is in danger and that she needs to meet her at the bus stop before the bus gets there. When her mom dose not respond and calls the house phone. Her mom was asleep, and so not to tip the men off, she asked her mom if she saw the text yet. When her mom said no, she told her to go look at it. That it was a pair of jeans she was thinking about buying online, and the sale was about to end soon, so she needed to look at it right now. - When they get to the bus stop, her mom is there waiting for her.

Another was a bartender went home one night and did not see his 2 cats waiting in the window like he always dose when he pulls up to the house. He started to shrug it off, but paused when he noticed the kitchen light on in the house. While trying to remember if left it on or not, he saw what looked to be a shadow of someone walking past the window. He called the police, and they told him to wait outside in his van with the doors locked. The cops parked on the street and walked to the house to not alarm anyone inside. He passed them the house keys through the car window, and the later came out with a women in handcuffs. He did not know her name, but knew who she was. He had kicked her out of the bar the night before, after she got drunk and was harassing the other customers. Police said they found her hiding in the bed room closet, with one of his kitchen knives, rope and duct tape.

So like I said, nothing bad happened in any of those stories. But they are the ones that freaked me out, and so even tho I don't remember a lot of the other stories I listened to, I remember those. - The mind just races with all the things that could have happened...

*EDIT*
    Only getting 3 minutes is what makes it kind of tricky. - What if the story was from a robbers point of view? He breaks into the house and then hides in a closet or under the bed when he hears someone come home. The man comes in and sits down at the computer, and and intruder is just thinking to himself of what he should do. If he gets caught he knows that they will be able to tie a lot of other robberies he committed recently to him. So he is going to get locked up for a long time. He is not sure if he can survive in prison....maybe he should kill him? He had a boxcutter on him, that he uses to help him break in. Or perhaps strangling him would be better? Less messy so maybe a less chance of leaving behind his own DNA. While he is deciding how to do it, someone calls the man from downstairs to come look at something. Or he gets a phone call, and leaves to answer it and so the guy comes out of his hiding spot and quickly crawls out the bedroom window. Maybe he did not sit down and was just walking around the room looking for something the whole time. Then he gets a phone call and he says he just found his wallet or keys or something and is now on his way. Then leaves the house not knowing he was almost murdered.
    • Like x 1