What did the devs do for 5 months?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Robotsidekick, Apr 28, 2021.

1. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I guess certain people missed the announcement they are going to have a native PS5 client.

Which could possibly hint at a render engine/graphics update.
    • Like x 2
  2. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Well i suppose to answer you the answer is yes prob so........
    If by 1 raid and 1 alert you mean 2 raids, 1 alert, 1 duo (all w/elite versions), bounty, open world missions an whatever im neglecting to mention

Unless you were NOT referring to the content we just got since you said 1 raid and 1 alert?
    Just wanna be clear in the criticism.

As far as better execution, i could be wrong but the execution has been an issue since day 1 as far as i remember. This is due to a test server for PC but not for PS. Meaning we are the test server meaning it will take time to expose, then diagnose, then fix issues as they present and some wont be the priority of other issues that arise so will take longer and by extension, soem things will never get fixed due to prioritization of resources.

All that said, i am personally NOT a player that needs to have it all day 1. I dont need a new raid every month, i dont need a new DLC every few months.
    The model i would like is really a DLC per year, i’d like to have planty of time to enjoy the spoils before chasing the next tier. If we could get a huge open world area w/10-12 missions, a couple dif bounties, 2-3 solo’s, 2-3 duo’s, 3-4 alerts, an like 6 raids. I like the model of elite versions of everything an like the model of various difficulty options for elite as well.

I know not all or maybe even most will agree with me on this but personally i hate new DLC because i feel like i just got geared up an was a le to start relaxing an feat hunting an a new DLC drops an all my elite gear an OP pieces r obsolete an process repeats.
    • Like x 3
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Most other MMOs release sporadic expansion packs with extensive time between them and certainly not in the 3-6 month turn around times that you're getting in DCUO.

If the community wants content that's less recycled then perhaps its the community itself that should adjust its expectations and stop demanding new content every day, allow the devs more time to create significant expansions.

Not to mention the spamming that goes on upon release (it's rather absurd) thisresults in players undermining their own long term enjoyment and then blaming the devs.

The DLC's in what it's second, third week coming up. The only reason you'd honestly be tired of the content is if you've been spamming the holy living hell out of it with replays since day 1 and you've done months worth of content in 2 weeks.

The players keep doing this and then acting all entitled like somehow the devs short changed them when they've actually done it to themselves.
    • Like x 8
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

That's an unfair comparison, because we get so much more than just 1 raid and 1 alert per episode compared to what we were getting during monthly content.
    • Like x 5
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Monthly content was ghastly.
    • Like x 5
  6. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Sigh...

Same old tired thread.

I've never played a game that honestly has dropped content as consistently as this game has over the past 10 years and to some it'll never be enough.

Blow through months worth of content in a week with replays. Gets bored. Complains not enough content.

*Surprised pikachu face*
    • Like x 6
  7. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Eh. Id temper your expectations. You might get some higher rez textures and some better shading and lighting but the graphics will look pretty similar given the engine and how its built.

Unless I'm wrong.

Which i hope i am.

In which case I'll be happy either way.

That said. Im willing to bet 90 percent of people playing dcuo can't even get their hands on a PS5 so the enthusiasm is mixed.
    • Like x 3
  8. Proxystar #Perception

What's a PS5? Isn't that a type of mystical unicorn?
    • Like x 2
  9. Rejchadar Inquisitor

This is the thing that a year later will be accused of keeping us from new graphic updates :D :D :D
    • Like x 4
  10. Proxystar #Perception

I'm telling you, its the memory constraints!
    • Like x 3
  11. PTFreeze Well-Known Player

well about this engine and graphic updated thing is this graphc updated only for the ps5 or do the pc get some too?
  12. Great Architect Loyal Player

Just to point out... the "reskin" of South Gotham without bottles is anything but. The original textures weren't made underneath and then had bottles added. They were textured with the bottles from the start.

I'm absolutely sure that this is a complete retexturing of the entire area, which was required to be at least consistent with the bottled version views. The art team pulled out all the stops here to give us something we always wanted - an unbottled South Gotham. Going forward, it may now be possible to have that in the open world.
    • Like x 4
  13. August Moon Well-Known Player

yes thats exactly what the community is saying. noone wants to replace a whole set of gear every month especially after farming an elite over and over. leave it as is , sprinkle decent events like the recent anniversary event and take my damn money
    • Like x 2
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

The maps have always looked good but theres something about this dlc where I think they look amazing. Theres a level of detail thats just a step above what weve seen the past few years.

As much time as I spend reading the forums I don't get in too deep so I never really know whats going on, whos responsible for what and whos who.

What I'm curious about is with the departure of several devs are they being replaced? Do we have a new creative director?

I don't hate this dlc. Seems a little fast and light but I like the content. Love the characters were focusing on. Despite there being a transition in staff things seem to be moving forward well enough. When Spytle and a few other devs left a few years back you could feel it. the game came to a screeching halt for several months. If this dlc is the start of what we can expect to see we might be in store for some good things.

but then ive also learned not to expect too much.

The game has been amazing with its inclusion of dc characters. We need to get some new characters in. We need some new dlc ideas. The Doom Patrol, a dlc focusing on the charlton characters, bring in some new villains and heroes, a dlc that has content inspired by the silver and bronze age with a few classic slimline styles. I know this stuff is work for the dev team but its what we need to generate some excitement...

anyway.
  15. Apollonia Dedicated Player

This is correct. Oceans / environment team rebuilt Gotham without the bottles from the ground up practically. It's not a simple reskin, although it's understandable that some people might see it that way.

There's a good chance this is part of an openworld revamp that has the unbottled versions of Gotham and Metro be the primary versions of those areas in the game going forward. I said this somewhere else, but if they're doing a Flashpoint story, it would naturally lead to a world reboot of some kind (since it rebooted continuity in the comics). Might be the same for DCUO. Maybe I'm overthinking and getting too ahead of myself but it would make a lot of sense. We won't know until the next DLC is announced probably. I'm hoping they do a Flashpoint proper DLC next that focuses on the main events of the story instead of these side stories and characters. And also surprise us all with a refreshed open world and leveling/progression to go with it (or following it).

SJ was not replaced internally and [going by their jobs site], it's not being filled externally either.
    • Like x 2
  16. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I like it this way. Not getting into difficulty level talk but I like this format. I actually have free time that I'm not like ghuhhh should do some bounties. Weather is getting nice around here so between that and stuff finally opening back up, I'm happy that 2hrs a day and a little extra on the weekends is enough time for 3 toons
    • Like x 1
  17. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

The PS4 client didn't change a lot, so I'm not really that excited for it. We'll probably see better textures for the HQs and iconic locations, but I don't expect many changes to the game unless they update most of the power animations, characters and places created for the PS3.
    • Like x 1
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Monthly content was literally:
    Month1: 1 raid & 1 duo
    Month2: 1 alert & 1 solo
    Month3: 1 raid & 1 duo

They trickled out gear release throughout the entire 3 months. Best gear was in the elite content, that was in Month 1 and Month 2 alert and raid.

What we got in the current DLC is:
    2 raids
    1 duo
    1 alert
    Open World content (4 daily, 2 weekly)
    Complete best gear in vendor.

So yes, I think the community would. Especially since they couldn't keep up with their own development for monthly. Monthly content was riddled with bugs, extremely rehashed content, and made it where players had really nothing to do while they waited for the next month, since there was only one piece of new daily content. It also was very difficult for the average player, due to how CR Differential worked. So... Yes, we would rather wait 3-4 months to get more over a trickled release.