What’s up with low CR players in high cr content?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DCUO SmackThem, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Seriously? First off, everything is not completable without any tutorial IF someone tells you what to do and IF the group is strong enough to carry the run without you doing your job. Even stuff like the OW bounties, most fails I see are where there are a ton of DPSs but no roles or people in role but not doing their jobs. A well instructed small group can take Hydra or Validus down fairly easy where a group 2-3 times the size can still fail....and that's OW bounties, not a full raid. But since you asked....

Ok, so similar to the Artifacts mission, with a couple of segments separated by portals...door...hallway, whatever. Ideally it would be your mentor guiding you, but as some of the voice actors for those are pricey or out of reach for DBG, it could be something like Phantom Stranger or Dr Fate...Eclipso or Faust for the Villains. For the purposes of the tutorial you are hugely nerfed and set to 'transformed' so you can't pop and armory mid run...you go in as troll...you stay troll. You will deal almost no damage even if you switch to dps...registering 1s or "immune' when you hit the boss. This is a troll tutorial, not dps. The NPCs accompanying you will deal the damage. The boss will also barely agro on you, unless the other NPCs are dead, so you are left to really only do 'troll' things.

1st room NPC Iconic tells you that the boss in this room can heal, so you need to throw a controller debuff to remove his healing ability while some other NPC adds go to work on him. Iconic tells you, before you enter the room, that you need to put your XYZ power (again, powerset agnostic), but the power description is "Controller Debuff" and contains "In Controller role - Reduces your target's ability to heal". You go in and debuff, and the NPCs can kill him...don't throw debfuff...no amount of NPC hitting will kill him. If the process is taking too long, or the debuff falls off, Iconic can tell you that the debuff has to be re-applied occasionally. If it falls off long enough the Boss heals back up...Ideally it should be enough of a duration that you would have to re-apply it 2 or 3 times at least.

2nd room NPC Iconic tells you that the boss high defenses. You'll need to throw a Defense debuff...same thing, look in your powers and load the one that says "Controller Debuff" and "In Controller roll - Reduces your target's defense"...same thing, boss is unkillable unless debuffed...ideally enough time should pass that you have to throw the debuff a few times.

3rd room NPC tells you that boss has a high attack power. Again, you need to equip your damage debuff. No debuff, the NPCs get knocked out after a few hits. Debuff on, they keep whittling away at him, and defeat him without dying. Again, ideally a long enough burn that you need to re-up the debuff a few times.

4th room (this one is a bit tougher to design) a power sucking add like Parasite where you'd need to do power recharge to maintain a power level so the other NPCs can use powers to beat him. If they remain at 20% or less power, they can't cast powers to defeat him.
    I'd guess someone more creative could come up with a more colorful scenario, but this is a basic outline.

Final boss fight. Final boss would get a bit of the combo of the previous rooms and have high defense, heals and a big attack. To get him down you'd need to use all 3 debuffs and throw power on occasion....POT will not be enough. Beating the boss fight will give you a title and maybe a spiffy Troll trinket or emblem...whatever, or better yet, like with the Arti mission and Constantine...where you can't buy cats from him without running it first...maybe if you have not run the tutorial, you cannot queue up as a troll into content.

You could cover stuns, shields, SC and weapon debuffs as well, but lets face it, with every power re upping POT, 1 of the basic troll jobs is a no brainer, I'd consider debuffs the other big job. It would be nice if there was also a mention of how you need to keep a particular member powered up, like a healer...otherwise they can't do their job and heal. Obviously adding more to it takes more design and development

Will this make a great troll? No. But will it A) make them look at their powerset and SEE that there are different jobs for different powers and B) at least have heard of power dumps and debuffs? Yes...yes it would. Many now are not aware of such things, even if they are not skippers, if they are new to trolling.

Hey, I'm no game designer....maybe this simple outline is years of work. I'd guess not, but sure...maybe. I'd say you don't even really need one for DPS, just the 3 roles...with Tank and Heal being similar except Tank would obviously have more to do with holding agro or pulling adds in, and heal would have to exercise HOT, dump heals and shields. To me troll is the most needed as its the most likely to slip under someone's nose when they do it wrong. If you tank and don't know how to tank, you die a lot and leave or get kicked...if you heal and don't know how to heal, everyone else dies and leaves or kicks you....if you are just a bad troll, likely things will get finished just way slower...way more difficult.

PS...this still has nothing to do with Low crs in high content...although a lot of the people who would need a tutorial are some of those same people likely.
    • Like x 5
  2. Rejchadar Inquisitor

This is the main problem. In the previous answer, you noticed that the WV solo only covers the basic mechanics and DPS (personally, it seems to me that this is just more important than very minimal knowledge of how the troll role works, since several times more people play for DPS than for all roles together), and no tooltips (which is a lot extra work). Multiply this work by 4, remember the developer's post that solo, alert or raid take the same time. And we will get (4 long full-length solos, but with an additional hint system) the development time of a whole new DLC.
    Look how much screaming was due to the fact that in the last DLC there is no solo and only one raid (even I, who loves bosses in the open world, resented the lack of solo)? How many people do you think will leave the game if a new DLC is postponed for 4 months for this tutorial? Or will all three DLCs be with reduced content for a whole year?
  3. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Ok, now explain to me who is going to use your tutorial and really understand what it is you think they should learn, when they don't get why they are doing it or what the game is actually saying what is going on.

Seriously, all they have to do is read the power, yet it is more than just putting in powers, you have to learn how to use them for each situation.

It was a waste of time to write what you did in response is also a point that I would like to convey, if I didn't already know how to use my controller, I would read what you are saying, try to do what you have written already, then go back to what works for me, because I would be all over the place and wasteful with how I use the power and possibly kicked for trying.

What may seem very logical to you may not be so logical to others, like what I am saying right now.
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not sure how it was a waste of time when you asked how I would see it being done. I had already dropped it and had conceded that I was done...you asked...I answered. The fact that you do not agree with me is moot, I answered the question you asked.

Ok...and as I said before, I'm dropping it. I responded to Lord because he asked a specific question. Please, keep continuing the off thread topic though. I know how to do my job, many others do as well. For the ones that don't...I guess they will have to rely on the handful of people who will help to avoid the mountains of people who complain about them when they try. Join the Pew-pew-pew gang or ****, right?

So...people with low CRs in high content....wow, yeah, that's some crazy stuff huh? Wonder how that happens?
    • Like x 2
  5. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Why offtopic? After rereading the first post in this thread, you will see that the theme creator asks a couple of questions and asks others to share their experiences and opinions on a very vague range of topics ...
    As for your other reproaches, they are not at the right address, firstly DPS is the role that I least like and I have all 4 roles on "high end", secondly, you whine about CR skippers and inept players, I put up with this for a long time (although I mostly play in pugs), thirdly, we just have a different view of the reason for this lack of skill, I personally see it in the mentality of current players and not in the fact that the DCUO does not provide sufficient tools for learning basic game skills.
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ok then...let's continue.

I'm actually one of the ones who doesn't whine about CR skippers, I'm pretty much fine with them (moreso if they stay dps for a while)...but I do realize they are at a huge disadvantage not due to the lack of SP or Artis as much as knowledge. And the pew-pew part was more of a general DCUO-DPS mentality...which you seemed to be agreeing with as you said "since several times more people play for DPS than for all roles together", whether you prefer DPS or not makes no difference...you acknowledge the issue is real (the game is DPS heavy).

Personally I'd find it nice to be able to put a group together from LFG without having to either A) cover at least 1 of the roles myself or B) shout for 30 min looking for troll/tank/heal we can't find. I also keep 4 end game dual role toons on my main acct and have 4 on other accounts as well. While I enjoy dpsing as it is 'easier' most times (see thing...kill thing...block on thing's skull occasionally), I can cover all the roles too and have done so since hitting level 30 or so. For me it makes it much easier to get things done as there is always a shout for 'need troll...need heal...need tank' for something, so I can go to a different toon and get things done.

Where my only real issue comes in with skippers(but non skippers do this too) is only on queue up groups....many don't even know that selecting that 2nd role when queuing is basically locking out someone else from being queued in. Assuming they can't actually do that role, selecting to do it is pretty much dumping the run unless everyone is OP enough to pew-pew through. Admittedly, heal is the most critical of these, but on most raids all 3 roles are needed to an extent...the lacking of one is a hassle, if not raid breaking. This is where some basic knowledge would come in handy...knowledge we do not have built into the game right now. Tutorial...video...PDF...whatever, there needs to be something, somewhere that could be pointed to in game or in a help screen or tooltip or whatever. So yeah, maybe a tutorial mission is too much, but something can be added.

As far as why the game is so DPS heavy? Well it's the 'glory' spot, and again, many newer players don't even realize there is another option until they've already poured money and effort into the DPS path. Not sure that equals 'choosing' dps or a mentality as much as you think.
    • Like x 2
  7. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Disagree?

I only see that a tutorial will be a waste of time because only those who would like for others to use it will only benefit from it themselves because they will be the only ones who who see it for what it is, while the people who could benefit from it would see it as a waste of time.

People already explain mechanics and other things to help groups beat content, there is all kinds of things available to help people out with mechanics yet here we are talking about another form of helping people who clearly just want to play and only what they want to play at that.

Everything is completable or there wouldn't be anyone completing it, the fact that everyone advances should also be an indication, because there really is no wall and everyone advances to the next tier completing what they can, whether carried or running with leagues or for brand new players using CR skips and running event content.

To say that content is not completable is totally misleading because it obviously is.

Using a failed run or multiple failed attempts on something that really is not going to keep someone from advancing when I am quite sure there is other things they can run to advance is only going to stop them from a feat or feats completing a single piece of the content.

I understand the need to defend a newer player but it does come with a cost with how it effects others and it appears to me it is to heavy on newer players side and leaves a gaping whole for those who have invested a lot of time in developing their hero/villain with little to low feeling of accomplishment and feeling a bit cheated, hence the complaint about a bounty that should encourage people to try again when they can get better or with a more balanced group, yet complain about having to beat the bounty x amount of times.
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I was referring to the fact you asked WHY I had taken the time to write up what I thought a tutorial would look like....Feel free to disagree with me all you want, if you ask me to explain something, don't then ask me why I explained it. Read your previous post to me.
    As far as your follow up question....

9. SekretVillain Loyal Player

See nothing has changed here, keep it classy yall lmao