Welp...they didnt listen to us

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jay Smeezy, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awsome Well-Known Player

Step one and two are great and a must. Step 3 is a horrible idea (and this coming from someone who wouldn't be horribly affected, since I have only about 250M). Only people who should be confiscated from are the actual exploiters. THAT IS IT.

Money confiscation is never the way to go. They just need a better way to take money out the the game, especially from the "whales" through money sinks. I've proposed a few in the past (like make the Mainframe batteries cost a percentage how much money you have, or increase the amount it costs to post to the broker on everything over a certain million, or charge a luxury tax on purchases made over a certain amount of money, etc.)

Getting rid of the glitch, confiscate and punish exploiters are important first steps, but we really need to get some serious cash out of this game for the sake of the future health of its economy.
    • Like x 1
  2. Red Five Developer

Thanks for all of your feedback. We are taking a step back to re-examine the system and see what changes, if any, we can make.
    • Like x 18
  3. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

There is no need to overthink things. We liked the catalysts in JLD not because of some bizarre catalyst fetish, but simply because they actually dropped for everyone. All you need to do is up the drop rates. I’m sure I speak for everybody when I say I don’t care if it’s catalysts or collections, I only care about actually being able to get them.
    • Like x 24
  4. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

thanks for actually replying to this! At least if for a brief instance...it’s on you guys’ minds! Resetting money was not the point of this post..i dont see how that works, but the OP route to completion needs work if only upping drop rates or back to JLD way!
    • Like x 1
  5. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...however, it felt more like a journey to slay (pardon me, "K.O.") some demons first, then running the Content wich was necessary to drop the ongoing Catalysts.

I might be a bit alone with that part now, but limiting the last Catalyst/s for Elite (even if it was just for a week or so) was also nice. I understood the frustration emitting from non elite Players tho, but limiting the availiability to People that challenge themselves seem to be fair - at least for 1 or 2 Weeks :D
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Op items should never locked behind elite, the op item isn't an exclusive elite chase item, you have elite gear for that and that's coming from a player with full elite btw.
    • Like x 8
  7. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thats why i said "for 1 or 2 weeks" so that Players actually challenge themselves again and not spam the open world Bounty 40x for the best item in game - its just my view tho and im sure im i the minority here hence my wording in the Prior comment ;)
    • Like x 2
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Fair enough, i understand your point.
  9. The Goat Level 30

I realize it's probably something that cant realistically be stopped completely but one of the biggest problems with the economy is that a ridiculous number of players are buying money from gold seller sites. It's completely out of control and has been for a long time.
  10. Controller Devoted Player

Thanks for replies, Rainnifer, Reinheld and Khalon. I'm also thankful for Red's reply to the thread.

I just wish there was another way to earn money (legally) in the game...some way........

No - farming collections is not the way. There USED to be a time where you could farm the kryptonite fragments in Metropolis....farm the collections on Arkham Island....heck there WAS a time where Mister Freeze's backpiece (from Arkham Asylum) and that item from Strykers Island (can't remember it atm) - would bring you a pretty penny.

Now? Not so much.....trust me on this I TRIED it...these items and collections do NOT bring in that much money anymore.

I truly miss being able to queue into the older raids...Nexus of Reality...Paradox Wave, etc, etc - these raids would offer furniture and other items you could SELL - in addition to the marks and gear...

I make my money legally, thankfully - but it's harder than before.

Legally making money in this game IS a GAME within itself, lol........not complaining AT ALL...I love DCUO. But it shouldn't be this hard.
    • Like x 1
  11. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

Hey, just wanted to say, I loved what you guys did in the vendor this time around for getting the op piece again. I wish you could somehow intergrate that into the op system JLD had with all the catalysts instead of collections. Maybe many catalysts can reward major catalysts to lvl up each rank of the op piece. Then the major catalysts/op start item can be bought from the vendor for 10 marks each, after players lvl up the op item fully at least once. Just a suggestion of mine, I know its easier said than done. Thanks for your work.
    • Like x 1
  12. Red Five Developer

Oh yeah, just to be clear I was talking about re-evaluating how you get the OP item. This isn't the end of Fight Club or anything :D
    • Like x 6
  13. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

Will you guys decide anything before this weekend?
    • Like x 1
  14. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Look, it's really simple: Drop rates NEED to be adjusted in the Players' favor, the way Gearbox has been doing with the Borderlands series for a decade. Sometimes that means giving Legendary items a Guaranteed Drop Rate, such as 1 or 2 guaranteed per boss fight. Sometimes that means giving players an equippable item or a skill that makes the rarest items ACTUALLY more likely to drop, tilting the odds in the Players' favor that way.

In DCUO, it will mean moving more things into in-game vendors. And you can start with all of the OP items such as the Frank Quitely-designed Owlman Helm (the collection items for that NEVER drop for me in Earth-3 content, even WITH Syndicate Sense on that character) and ALL of the collection items from the Time Capsules. Not just the end reward item, but also the individual collection pieces themselves. Start with the ones for the Runic Hand Auras Box, because it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that the only person that had the stupidly rare A Chip of Philosopher's Stone wanted $650,420,420 for it yesterday! (And yeah, dude, whoever you are, FRAK YOU, YOU FRAKKIN' GREEDY MOTHER FRAKKER!!!) :mad::mad::mad:

Another thing it will mean is totally reprogramming the game to remove items out of the Loot Pool that a character has already received multiple times, thus increasing the odds of them getting something they actually NEED!

It's time to STOP the out of control money grab and give back to the players who are getting tired of farming something for days of play on end and spending sometimes many hundreds of dollars of real world money a year trying to obtain what they want or need to complete their characters, only to come up empty! :mad:

And with that said, I'm off to play Borderlands 3, where I actually SEE real, usable REWARDS for the time I put into the game, WITHOUT a micro-transaction money grab! There's a powerful lesson to be learned there, Devs, if one but opens their eyes and mind and allows oneself to SEE! ;)
  15. Rainnifer Committed Player

While I understand where you are coming from, it's not safe to compare a game like Borderlands 3 with a game like DCUO. Borderlands 3 doesn't have big servers that need to be kept up 23/7 and payed for. Or a big brand shadowing over it.
    • Like x 1
  16. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

The major difference is that in the Borderlands franchise, online play is OPTIONAL, not mandatory. But online play IS available in the games, so there ARE servers that have to be maintained, and given that there are vastly more players active in those games than in DCUO these days, those server farms are presumably quite a bit larger.

But Gearbox has chosen NOT to sell RNG Loot Boxes as a money-making tactic, preferring instead to do what they've always done for the last 10 years (or more) which is selling actual Downloadable, Playable Content Modules (the same way DCUO does for Free To Play and Premium Members) either a la carte or in Season Passes, and a small quantity of totally OPTIONAL character customization skin packs.

Imagine, if you will, what it would be like if DCUO made all its money ONLY from Subscription Fees (i.e. Season Passes,) sales of the individual Episodes to players that aren't ready to subscribe, and the OPTIONAL items that can be purchased in the Marketplace, and that was IT. No Time Capsules and Stabilizers, no Boo$ster Bundle$, no Limited Time Only Iconic Styles, no Promethium Keys for non-subscribers, just stuff that was always there that you could buy if you wanted, or skip if you didn't! What a wonderful world that would be! ;)

But, you know, it is what it is, and what it is, is very frustrating for many of us. So, I need a short break from it!

But as always, this is just my 2 cents, For Whatever It's Worth, and Your Mileage May Vary. ;)
  17. Rainnifer Committed Player

? That online play is not dedicated servers, they are based on the player's connection. You wont see hundreds of vault hunters running around in the same world, it is only up to 4 players in one instance all based around whoever Hosted that instance (meaning each player is connected to player 1 which could be you or me, if player 1 has internet problems then everyone will disconnect). Gearbox does not have to continuously pay and upkeep those "servers." Which is why such games have a high base price or one-time purchase DLCs so the company can make a profit from the cost it took to Make the game, after that they don't have to worry about it.
    MMOs are very different and that's why they have Subscription based fees so the money can continue to come. Sometimes the subscription alone may not be enough to suffice, but none of us are knowledgeable on how much Daybreak needs to cover costs for this game and what not. I do agree that there is something wrong about their methods though with bringing in booster bundles and time capsules and the like.
    • Like x 1
  18. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Yes, they're 2 quite different genres of gameplay, but numerous other shooters have monetized the game with micro-transactions, just like DCUO has done with this MMORPG. And they've been quite deservedly criticized for it, as well. While that may make sense for a Free To Play game like Fortnite (whose micro-transaction scheme is more similar to the Borderlands games, comprised of cosmetic items to customize your character's appearance,) it's quite thoroughly upsetting on a game where one also had to BUY the game at retail pricing (such as was the case with Battleborn. But Gearbox and 2K Games learned their lesson there, and seem to have learned it well.)

The argument could be made, I suppose, that DCUO has micro-transactions because of the Free To Play and Premium crowd. But then longtime subscribers like myself will say that we shouldn't be saddled with all that stuff since we DO pay yearly. In fact, I paid quite a bit more than normal for my subscription this year to get an exclusive Material for one (and only one) of my characters. :(
  19. MrMigraine Devoted Player

For future episodes, I think it might help if the dev team leveled with the community about just what they want out of the OP item experience.

For instance, did the decision to connect the acquisition of OP items to Collections come from a desire to make it rarer and therefore more special? I mean, there are other games out there that have those 0.0001% items ... but that hasn't really been the trend in DCUO over the last few years. In my experience, there are a LOT fewer OP items competed from Metal Part 1 compared to JLD or Atlantis. Is that the intent?

(For the record, my favorite OP item experience was during the Starro Event, where we built the OP items from easily obtainable materials, but perhaps that made them too common...)

I mean, we know that there's a financial angle to all this - more resets means more chances at those Collections - but I think the current state of our Whale-Driven Economy might be turning off more players than you realize, as evidenced by the numerous Broken Broker threads on the front page.

Then again, you do have the numbers at your fingertips ... was the Metal Pt 1 OP experience more or less profitable for the company compared to other Episodes, or is it all a wash?
  20. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Th problem is that while people's voices voted against the current OP system, their wallets voted for it. I can only imagine the stark difference in revenue from the sale of replay badges in Metal I vs JLD.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.