The Civil War Begins – 1st Trailer for Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War”

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Yaoi Pope Dedicated Player

I laughed and agreed with most of their points. Other than the one about them not understand why he walked away from being Batman for 6 Years. Between the 2nd and 3rd movie because Rachel died. They mention how the death of his parents it was fueled him to become Batman. But I don't know. I think what the writers were go for was, was the Bruce was going through this stage of "All the work if done. All the training. All the money. All the time that I put in to being "Batman" and still can not protect the people that I love most." They looked over that detail in the podcast when they were raging about not understanding why he took 6 years off. (or was it 8?)

Another thing I wished they would have pointed out. When they ranted about how they were upset at the end of Rises, how it was revealed that Gordon honestly had no idea Batman was Bruce Wayne, they talked about how only someone with Wayne money could afford all that stuff. but I wanted them to mention how even if he suspect for a time but brushed it off for lack of evidence - When Batman goes away from those 6 years after the 2nd movie, is the same time Bruce Wayen stops leaving his house and not seen by the public for those 6 years either. Red flag?
    • Like x 1
  2. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

What I got from the movie was that although Batman had won, Bruce did not have a normal life to go back to. It's something Rachel warned him against that apparently fell on deaf ears.;)

Gordon may be a good person, but not a very good detective.
  3. Johnny0276 Dedicated Player

When it comes to Marvel, I liked the first Avengers movie. But didn't even see Age of Ultron in theaters, neither did I feel the urge to go get it when it was released on dvd / bluray. Rental maybe I don't know. I am liking grittiness of Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix. The other Marvel movies kind of pale in comparison in my opinion.

DC, Man of Steel personally elicited an emotional response for me the first time seeing trailers and watching the movie. But 2nd and 3rd time watching it, the emotional impact just wasn't there for me. I'm hoping Batman v Superman isn't going to be more of the same.
  4. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

LOL, like I said before, it's Snyder's taste in the color palette and the studio, in this case WB agreed on. However, if you alter the color a bit, you might....
    • Like x 1
  5. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Or in Bats v Supes
  6. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Maybe they will release a technicolor version on blue-ray.;)
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Funny, the brighter colors never seemed to hurt this guy's films. Well, the first two, at least...:D

[IMG]

A film made back in 1978 that's still considered one of the best DC super hero films. Funny thing, too, both Reeve's performance as Superman and Chris Evans as Cap have shown you can do those "perceived as boy scout/good guy" kinds of characters well without it being corny or hokey.
    • Like x 1
  8. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I always thought that the colors for Superman from Brandon Routh to Henry Cavill made them look like the evil drunk Superman from the 3rd movie, LOL. And as much as anyone says that being an Anti-Hero or a dark brooding hero is cooler, I call bollocks. I grew up taking value what heroes like Superman and Captain America represent and as say what you will about MOS, it still had elements of what Superman is, hope. And hopefully WB don't turn Henry's portrayal of Superman as a brooding Superman because not every DC hero has to be like Batman....cough...ARROW....cough

• Like x 1
  9. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Yea I think that's part of the problem, they are trying to make Superman cool when he is inherently not cool. At least not to those that think being "cool" actually matters. He's as cool as a dad, he's looked up to by the very young, dismissed by young adults and hopefully better appreciated in the later years. When I see them try to change Superman too much, that's what I think of... That dad trying to be cool.:D
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Superman doesn't try to be 'cool', or do things to be 'liked', he does them because they are the right thing to do (if you don't think a 'dad' can be cool, is just sad)

You always tend to get these 'Directors Cut' re-releases of movies, how about do the opposite and release 'Un-Directors Cut' of MoS with the proper colour saturation and whatever other crap the Director and the studio added removed and burnt

Something that gets me about the new Soup Leotard: how is he supposed to take a leak or a dump in a onesie? It doesn't even have the olde-fashioned 'butt-flap' :eek:
  11. Yaoi Pope Dedicated Player

Damn. Kind of hard to argue against that. Plus considering he gets his energy from the sun, the look kind of fits.
  12. Yaoi Pope Dedicated Player

But to you, dose that outfit quote "inspire-hope" more than the new one?
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Personally, yes
  14. Yaoi Pope Dedicated Player

Maybe it's just because I already dislike Superman. But that version looks more like he is on his way to preform at a childs birthday party. Not off to save the world.
    And that little string of hair on his forehead has always bothered me.
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Look closely at that curlicue: it is in the shape of an 'S' 'Hope'
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Indeed. What is aesthetically pleasing will vary from one person to the next, of course, but those particular shades of those colors give me more of an impression of knowing that person is there to help. It definitely comes across as a lot less threatening than darker shades of blue, and it wouldn't surprise me if the "less threatening" impression was a reason why some law enforcement agencies use lighter shades of blue like that in their uniforms.

Reeve's performance along with the color choices just reinforced it.
    • Like x 1
  17. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

I think we are in agrecian here? The analogy I was trying to make was that recent portrayals of Superman was like that Dad who compromises himself to try too hard to be cool. I think I'm like most people in regards to Superman like the example I gave. I loved him as a kid and thought he was corny and outdated as a teen, but then really grew to appreciate him later. And this change in perception had nothing to do with changes made to the character but rather the change in perspective came from within, which is to say that I was dumb when I was younger. The things that Superman stands for are more than just a fad, it's fundamental and timeless and cannot be properly measured by current trends and standards.

I really didn't fully appreciate Superman until I read Kingdom Come and all Mark Waid/Alex Ross did was give a classic portrayal of the character... With a few minor tweaks.;)

Just compare the film versions of Captain America and the latest Man of Steel, it's night and day. Marvel Studios gave us an unabashed comic version of Cap, regardless of how he would be accepted by a modern audience. It's almost as if they actually believed in the character and would win over the fans, which it seemingly has thanks to it's critically acclaimed blockbuster sequel.

When I watch the Man of Steel and see some of the changes to the core character that they made, I don't get that same feeling that the creators believe in Superman.
    • Like x 2
  18. Korlick Loyal Player

I dont remember with exactitude, but werent some of those changes forced by the issues DC was having with the family of Siegel/Shuster?
    • Like x 1
  19. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

If you mean some of the changes to Superman, I think there was some preparation done. It doesn't appear that it was needed though because DC won the court battle in 2003 and retains full ownership and will continue to honor whatever agreement they had previously from 1992 when it was "renewed" with the heirs. They can try again in another 70years or so.;)
    • Like x 1
  20. Yaoi Pope Dedicated Player

lol I just got the irony of "The Civil War" this movie will bring amongst comic/movies fans.
    Put that in a Alanis Morissette song.