Suggestion: Fixing Content Squish, Gear Progression, & Crafting

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Vesper, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Vesper Dedicated Player

Content "squish" is a serious problem at this point. Every month 2 new fun awesome things to do! YEAH!!!! But......the cool thing to play JUST LAST MONTH is already old and useless for anything but marks. Content in the new stuff is HARD! It's CHALLENGING! For 2 days. Then it's done except for the griping about drop-rates. And next month, we repeat the cycle.

Vendor gear is "all that is needed to progress" from Episode to Episode. But Vendor gear is 3rd best gear. Raid gear is better. Elite-drop gear is even better than that. The excuse for this is always "well, if it's just marks, peeps will have full sets of Vendor top-end gear first day of the Episode".

Crafting in this game is frankly terrible. There's no challenge to crafting other than having to fight Captain Boredom every time you go exo-farming. There are no special components to get that have any real use. No specialty soders any longer----I miss the days of making Limes for my League, sending a 12-pack as a "welcome" gift to new guys who joined. Almost no-one uses the tossable consumables-----I know a few tanks who used them the first month of TotD, but none of them do any more......and NONE of them bothered in Bombshells at all. I don't know any end-game players at this point who make and use Stat Soders----complete waste of exos.

I'm sure at this point, there's too much work, time, effort, & energy spent to recode gear & gear levels for the next several monthly Episode Cycles. BUT......we are still several months from the target for t8. So let's focus on that.

My suggestion:

4/5 of Vendor Gear is what is needed to progress. And Vendor Gear is the BEST CR. Elite is better and has affinities, but same CR level as Vendor.

GEAR CR LEVELS ARE THE SAME FOR A 3 MONTH EPISODE CYCLE. NO MORE GOING UP EVERY SINGLE MONTH.

Gear levels:
    Trash (+0) ---- Green
    Common (+1) ----- Blue
    Rare (+2) ----- Purple
    Vendor (+3) ----- Star-Purple

Buying Vendor (+3) allows CREATION OF
    Vendor Elite (+3*) ---- Star-Purple (would have slightly better stats, but also the Affinity system)

How it would work:

8 Armor, Weapon, Mask, Necklace, 2 rings, Trinket/Utility Belt. 15 items. You need at least 12 of those from Vendor to progress. If we continue with the current "5 pieces available a month" idea, then you would be searching for roughly 4 of those pieces each month.

You play your solo/duo content for the 3-episode trash (+0) to gear-in. You have a chance at next level (+1) as a rare drop from the final boss of the solo/duo. You earn Marks as always.

You play your Alert (regular). Again, trash drops commonly, but on bosses a higher chance than in the duo of dropping (+1) gear. Earn Marks as always.

You play your Raid (regular). Again, trash drops commonly, but on bosses a chance at raid-drop (+2) gear. Earn Marks as always.

You play your Alert (Elite) or Raid (Elite). Elite needs to FEEL like a better reward, so NO TRASH in Elite. (+1) drops commonly, bosses drop (+1) commonly (60%), then (+2) less commonly (30%), then special reward ELITE COMPONENT* rarely (10%). Marks as always.

*ELITE COMPONENTS will be in the "Bad Luck" list, so after a certain number of boss defeats you are almost guaranteed to get one.

Use marks earned to earn Vendor gear (+3).

Now......for Elite.....we have to Craft.

Elite is NOT needed to progress.....only Vendor. Elite is the SAME (+3) as Vendor, BUT has 1-2% better stats overall. To CRAFT Elite, you must have 5 things: Vendor gear, 5 ELITE COMPONENTS, Current Tier Focus Crystal, Current Tier Vendor Interface, and 5 of a specific consumable made from Current Tier plans.

BENEFITS:

EVERYONE has the opportunity to have max CR *if* they run their available content regularly, without replays. WITH replays, they have a better opportunity to get the desirable but NOT required for CR advancement Elite GEAR.

All content in the relevancy window is useful, because ALL marks are useful.

Raid gear remains a worthy goal, as it is better than both the trash and common drop, and would of course have a Style Feat attached.

Elite Gear becomes a STRETCH goal based on PLAYER EFFORT. You have to have *5* Elite Components PER PIECE. You need the Focus crystals that drop. You NEED those "useless" consumable plans, which means you need to farm old content for those Brainiac Diodes, Enchanted Beast-horns, and SuperSpeed Exobits. Hardcore peeps will probably finish all 5 Vendor pieces quickly, but getting the Elite will require PLAYER EFFORT.

No-one will be able to finish all 5 Elite pieces in one day without a TON of replay and a GREAT deal of luck on Plans dropping. And if they do manage to do that? So what, let them enjoy their uberness that they EARNED.

Mostly, this will REWARD effort. It will be POSSIBLE to be all Elite for anyone who works to make their gear and be the best. They won't HAVE to.....but also they won't be limited by ONLY a Random Luck Generator.
    • Like x 4
  2. SYNDICOR2525 Dedicated Player

I think this would be great and will give purpose to running all relevant content. Love this idea, brother.
  3. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The concept of crafting the best gear is a great idea. But the execution in this idea is just going to result in the exact same problems we're seeing now.

Why? because important crafting components only drop via RNG. The developers can't be trusted with RNG and therefore these components will be just as hard to get as gear is now.

If you want to see a legitimate change to the quality of the end game, then you have to let go of RNG. This idea holds on to RNG and therefore isn't going to result in a positive change for the community.
    • Like x 2
  4. lukelucky Devoted Player

The real fix is re adjust the level discrepancies. THATS IT. People will cry cause you know they have been carried but it is best for the game.

If its a ton of work of little work is irrelavant. ANYONE here in t4 or yr two remembers t3 was at least playable, fos 2 or current elite content was still a group whipper if you messed up. I at t4 still ran tje t2 alert with the lanterns cause all those ads and well the entire map was fun.

Now content of tier has less fun than t2 had in t4. ?
  5. MenToc Active Player

I could see this giving older content a boost as well, to get the components for the consumables. I do see a problem for free to players since they will need lots of cash over the bank limit to make this happen.

Over all I like the idea, if you want the tip top best gear and buffs, you have to work for it. Also helps a bit with immersion since your character had to "work" on the gear.
    • Like x 2
  6. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

theres already a thread on this ;)
  7. Vesper Dedicated Player

Yes, there is. My idea got buried early, and the thread is huge now. Multiple peeps saying "not gonna read everything", so I made my own thread for my idea. :D
    • Like x 1
  8. Derio 15000 Post Club

Lol hard for 2 days. More like challenging 1 time playthrough.
    • Like x 2
  9. lukelucky Devoted Player

Best thing that will never happen is reduce our stats to t4ish. Rescale everything so the diffence between t7 and t2 is not at all that much.

SKILL POINT WOULD HAVE REAL VALUE AND HOW COULD WE GET BORED.

We mastered the shields at the end of nexus or some have but man it would be all kinds of fun if all this content was relevant.

Facerolling does not equal woth my sub fee imo.

Going forward 3 cr gain per month will make this worse not better. Sadly.

If u were end game at t4 u still found enjoyment in t3 and possibly t2. Now your t7 and t7 is squishy. Cr scaling / stat raises got crazy high and onlynreal fix would be cut us down.
    PVP might actually get back to role gear. Anyone remeber roleless gear being introduced? Pretty sure stats inflation was the key factor. We got to strong. Id give up everything for a fun dcuo again. No question about it. Small slow growth keeps old relevant way longer which I believ is the posts goal
  10. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player