Stat clamping, first experience

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by nawanda, Aug 30, 2021.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

At the moment it doesn't sound like the clamp is what needs to be adjusted. Players need to stop the pew pew mentality and pay attention to skull notifications, to text on the screen telling you what to do, stop burning the boss and attend to the mechanics of the room (in the OP's instance that's taking out the pods before they open). If following mechanics still results in punishing attacks, report the actual event. Blaming the clamp at this point is premature since it's not clear that this is the actual issue.
    • Like x 5
  2. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Did you even read the whole thing or were you too desperate for an opportunity to be condescending? Again, this is what I get for trying to find a compromise.
    • Like x 1
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Sounds like a messaging issue, make sure to tell them that so they can do something about it.
  4. Shalayah Committed Player

The goal seems to be to just get players to start following mechanics again. You don’t actually need a premade group to follow the mechanics lol.

Not trying to be condescending. Just being honest
    • Like x 3
  5. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Where exactly was I condescending? And yes, I read the whole thing. You're implying I missed something, can you point out what I missed?
    • Like x 1
  6. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

It’s pretty condescending. Especially since you refuse to fully acknowledge the context.
    • Like x 1
  7. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I said they could leave the clamp alone if they take raids out of the omnibus journal missions, because suggesting to players that they blind queue random raids is setting them up for frustration.
  8. Shalayah Committed Player

How is saying “Follow the mechanics” patronizing or a display of superiority? That’s literally how you beat the content you’re complaining about. Are you saying that players are just incapable of blocking, grabbing cogs and that such nature? Those things are the hardest things in the world? The only reason that’s been the case is because we were allowed to just burn past stuff. Now we aren’t so you have to follow the mechanics if you want to win. There’s nothing condescending about that.

I’ll say that I can be a bit condescending when it cones to elite content but when we’re talking about a basic mechanic like grabbing the pods. While I do agree that there should be an indicator that not grabbing the pods results in a more powerful brainiac. I don’t think that content needs to be adjusted further than that.
    • Like x 4
  9. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

What about the ability to play roles, and play them well? Raids aren’t just about mechanics.
  10. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

I usually just leave an instance without checking or immediately closing the scoreboard at the end of an instance. Yesterday as I was about to close, it caught my eye... whaaat? It was at the end of the Save the Universe alert that I just pug'd. 22 minutes, yeah, it felt a little bit long, but nobody KO'd and it was smooth. I did what for damage??? O.O surprised. I was basically spamming debuffs when it would not interfere with tank's pulls, some weapon hits when possible of course/lundge when seemingly countering a channeled ability, using orbital strike, trench creatures henchmen, T2 nightmare bat trinket, calculator-bot ally rank2. It blew my mind. Preupdate, i'd get maybe 3-6 mill damage in an alert?
    I was in controller role.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  11. Shalayah Committed Player

Can you play your role well enough to bypass a mechanic that buffs the enemy in your clamped state?
  12. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

If you’re all dead before the mechanic even triggers, it’s irrelevant.
    • Like x 1
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If you take Raids out of the Omnibus players are robbed of the possible learning experience, which is pretty much the point of Omnibus (well, that and to get queues to pop more often).
    • Like x 1
  14. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Being pounded into the ground while the vets impatiently watch on is not the great educational experience you all seem to think it is.
    • Like x 2
  15. Shalayah Committed Player

If they’re dead before the mechanic triggers then there’s something wrong there. Could be the player, could be the game. Maybe he blocked but the game didn’t register the block sometimes when you block last second you still catch the full damage sometimes. (this has happened regularly to me pre clamp)

All in all it is what it is. You got KO’d. Rerun it and be done with it. It’s not that big of a deal.
    • Like x 4
  16. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

That was a bit of an exaggeration. Let me go into more detail.

Consider this hypothetical novice tank. He’s fighting the boss, but he’s inexperienced, under equipped but lord knows he’s trying his best. But he’s struggling so much just to stay alive that he’s not noticing the adds spawning. Naturally, the healer and troll are annihilated and wipe occurs. So he tries again. “Sorry guys, I’ll pull adds this time!”.

And he does. Problem is, he’s now so focused on pulling everything that he starts failing to maintain fire soul/atomic aura/prevent rage crash that he starts dying to the boss and the adds also attacking now. So, he has to strike a precarious balance. Will he find it before everyone else gives up and leaves? Oh, and all of this is *before* those beloved mechanics of yours enter the equation.

Are you starting to see an issue yet?
    • Like x 1
  17. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You're right, raids aren't just about mechanics. Roles are important. You've just pointed out the other half of the equation. Guess what though...both of those things have nothing to do with clamping. The two biggest issues are people not paying attention to mechanics, and in some instances, lack of proper messaging.
    • Like x 3
  18. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Striking that precarious balance is the goal that gets you to the final goal (beating the content and getting your rewards). The scenario you painted shows that the tank is learning and growing with the experience. That's how that works. Before overgearing was a regular occurrence, before power creep was a serious issue, that's how we beat content. It sounds to me like you weren't here for the early days where brute force was not a realistic option.

The only issue I can see in your scenario is the other players not having enough patience to give that tank a chance beyond a certain point. There are still options for that group besides quitting.
    • Like x 3
  19. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Good luck with that.
    • Like x 1
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Love your "Can do" attitude.
    • Like x 2