Spambots on Trade Chat...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Blazing Bacon Well-Known Player

Mepps has said before that we will never get account-wide ignore for "privacy" reasons. They think that people should have the right to anonymity on characters if they wish to. What it really means is that they believe that people should be able to cyber-stalk you if they want to.
  2. Tilz Loyal Player

There is a new site. So there are around 3 spammers at the same time. And one of the newer ones spammed through entire chats. Not only LFG. Now that's kinda annoying^^
    • Like x 2
  3. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Trade chat.....? You mean Every Chat?
    • Like x 1
  4. Ekart Committed Player

GM's in-game could solve this problem asap. But first you need to have them. :(
    • Like x 1
  5. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Tonight was extremely, extremely irritating. Nothing but Gold Sites competing with each other all night long. The worst part is that it was a large amount of different players, so ignoring was pretty much worthless because of the amount of names to ignore. Totally ridiculous.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dene Devoted Player

I think it was because if they implemented the ignore it may activate the friend side too? so people could add you and stalk you on all your alts
  7. SigmaAtom Committed Player

But.. doesn't that contradict the right to privacy? Man.. so it's okay for people to be rude to you on one char then pretend to be friends with you on another? (not aimed at you Blazing Bacon but at DB).

IF we had this system in place.. I would have had none of the problems I had in ORS some years ago with former members sabotaging ORS morale re-joining on alts because I could have blocked them account-wide. I have 17+ chars.. everytime I log in on an alt I am re-adding the same gold-spammers, it's unnecessary when I could be given the ability to do it just once. IF you are the one putting them on ignore.. you are protecting yourself from their conduct in game, your in game protection should take president over their privacy.
    • Like x 1
  8. Ryazan Dedicated Player

It's the new goldseller that is annoying me the most. They seem to have more bots than the other spammers, they are also doing it on all channels, and they are spamming at a more frequent rate than the other 2 known goldsellers.

Something that concerns me about this new seller is that in their spam message they say that they support buying money from actual players.
    • Like x 3
  9. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

The new website is the only one that’s really annoying. They spam way faster than the rest, and even fill us versus in the WT, because obviously they don’t know that it’s worthless unless in open world. I’ve never ignored the spam bots before, but these new ones are simply out of control. If I did buy gold from a website, I’d be sure not to use theirs simply out of principal as they clearly have no love for their own customer base, if this is how they want to represent themselves. I know I’m talking about them as if it’s a legit practice, and I’m not one to buy gold from those sites, but business is business and I get the sense the new site is ran by some 15-year old.
  10. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Here's the odd thing about the bots being in regular chat. That means somewhere in the Watchtower / Hall of Doom there's a character hanging around.

Might be fun to see where they're nesting. :D
  11. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

I’m not sure you’re reading it in the intended context. The anonymity would be broken if you could add all to list, because you’d be adding characters that player may want to keep private. Essentially you could game this system by adding characters to your ignore list, and seeing all of their toons in existiance. Of course, that only pertains to the list as it works now (of course they could just add a gesture that doesn’t show us those rooms on that list, but then removing them may cause difficulty and/or open a can of worms on the development side.)
    • Like x 1
  12. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

Because part of their code is to “press x or enter” once you find them you can duel them over and over, and they usually don’t have auto-decline set up. I found this out when I tried to invite them to group to see if I could quell the shout spam in metro one day. This was months ago tho, so they may have caught on by now.
  13. Ryazan Dedicated Player

If you somehow manage to kill the bots from the new spam site they will just stand dead there for some time (usually about 15 minutes) before they get back up and start spamming again. Which means there is somebody checking on these bots from time to time.
  14. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

darn auto correct
  15. Chicken Well-Known Player

I don't mind adding them to ignore. I just wish they would increase the ignore cap of 1000.
  16. zZzTorrOzZz Committed Player

Hmm, cap news to me been ignoring them since 2011 ;)
  17. Blazing Bacon Well-Known Player

There is a super easy way around this. Have a second ignore list that isn't able to be seen by the UI. It will put all of that person's other characters on ignore, but not let you see them. It would take work, but it is better than DB silently condoning cyber-stalking.
  18. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

Except for the fact that “super easy” and “it would take work” don’t play well together. :p

Also: (and by no means an I one to blindly side with daybreak on most topics) “silently condone cyber-stalking” is more of an opinion based on anecdotal evidence, so I’m not sure a topic like that will garner much dev attention, but I’ve been wrong before!
  19. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I had at least ten deleted yesterday & I will do some more today. I suggest that others fill out support tickets because that is the only way these spambots are dealt with. If we a group do nothing then the devs do nothing as far as this subject goes.
  20. Sivulla Dedicated Player

Hey now,

If you cant beat the bots, join them.