Spambots on Trade Chat...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Really? *Sigh* This is getting ridiculous. [IMG]

BTW, the ignore option is not a solution for the goldidiots problem in general, it is merely a cover up. I have to use it every day on every character I have and some of my characters' ignore lists are already starting to reach the limit.
    • Like x 5
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

How do you know where the limit is? Do you get in-game messages warning you or something?

"NOTE: Your ignore list is rapidly approaching its limit. Please remove some entries from the list, or stop ignoring additional players. Open the ignore list editor now?"
  3. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

I had to place my former league leader on ignore yesterday across my characters. He started harassing me because I left his league. On one of my characters, I noticed his main and alts were not showing up on my ignore list, so I had to start removing some of the gold spammers from my ignore list.
    • Like x 5
  4. Ant Tao Well-Known Player

Just make custom chats
  5. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

The disease spreads... :D
  6. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Nor everyone has a pile of league mates or in game friends they can just hang out with and team up with when they decide to play. Gold Spammers are everywhere ... Looking for a team? They are all over the LFG. In one of the many zones that feature weekly outdoor missions (like 329 and Applied Science in the deluge zone)and want to find team mates for that? Some days there are even more than one of them broadcasting in shout at a time. Heck they even hang out in every single Police Station and Nightclub in Gotham and Metropolis and those are small enough in size the spammer doesn't even need to use shout they can just use SAY and advertise to the whole building.

MY point? creating a custom chat does not solve the problem for the majority of the player base. THIS thread is about spammer in trade chat. NOW if you have something you want to trade or sell what good does it do to have that private "members only" chat? When the players that may actually want to buy the thing do not belong to that group?

Sadly I don't think we will ever have any other option to deal with the spammers than the ignore list but custom chat is not the answer for the vast majority.
    • Like x 4
  7. SigmaAtom Committed Player

(I've said it before and I'll say it again)
    Account wide ignore.. your account* ignores their account*. Why this is not in place already is beyond me :(

*all your chars.
    *all their chars.
    • Like x 7
  8. Schimaera Devoted Player

Never used the ignore option on spam bots. I just simply ignore them. There are way more other way more important things in life to be bothered with. Goldspanners are not one of them.
    • Like x 2
  9. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I use the ignore feature of them all the time. Do their ads bother me? Not really i have no desire to waste real money to BUY fake money and at the same time take the chance on having my credit card info stolen. But here's the thing....

There are times where I am roaming around Gotham or Metropolis Bounty hunting and farming exobits. There can be as many as 2 of them in THAT one zone and so little other chat taking place that their advertising is back to back. Now add in at least ONE more advertising on the LFG and I've had times where I had to stop what i was doing to scroll the chat window back up to see some thing I ACTUALLY was interested in seeing. Some of them post that often and it can be annoying and can actually cause a player to miss posts that might lead to getting on a team they are looking to join.

It takes a whole minute or so to ignore as many as 2 or 3 of them and you'd be amazed how much quieter all those chars become when you don't have that constantly being posted. Yes there are many more important things in REAL LIFE but when i am in game I don't need endless commercials for something I have no desire to buy.. My ignore list is full of them
    • Like x 5
  10. Shark Dental Devoted Player

That sucks. I honestly can't believe they don't have an account-wide ignore button. Seems obvious it should've been that way from the beginning.
    • Like x 2
  11. Dwild50 Well-Known Player

Have to admit the gold spam on LFG is annoying. When you hit the channel to see if anything is going on and out of 36 (actual count) at 11 AM today, there were two requests for a healer on the E3 Escape raid (both sent by the same raid) and the other 34 were all gold selling spam. Sort of wrecks the utility of the LFG channel. And there are so MANY different spammers out there, putting them on ignore never seems to help...they just start up new accounts. Isn't there anything in the usage rules against selling game currency for cash? Seems pretty shady.
    • Like x 2
  12. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

the biggest joke of all is the "deal" being offered..I've seen idiots yammer theyll give 5 mill for 5 dollar US...ok...a guy with the word super in his name...routinely tries to sell things like the smoke aura...for a billion dollars...more power to him and his sales...nothing in this post frankly has much to do with superwhatever...dont think this is a personal dig on anyone...but lets see..im broke..i want to buy that smoke aura...for a billion...at 5 dollars REAL MONEY $$$ spent per 5 mill received thats...way too much real money to get very little in game wealth frankly...who falls for those exhange rates...??
    • Like x 1
  13. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

I wonder if anyone ever go on the offensive. They come to the game spam ads at our turf. Any players fed up enough to go to their house (website) and mess things up. Probably no, because reg players are not a-holes. Any hactivists or hire hactivitst to bring down their sites. Not advocating, just thinking. No one wants an arms race. We may wind up paying for the outage, in same way when Smedley publically criticized one of the groups.

Back to the game; if a large number of players ignore a toon on a given day, doesn't it warrant a GM to review that account.

In the U.S. even the first amendment has provisions; for example can't cry wolf and shout fire at a crowd. Given this is a game; it's at Daybreak's discretion what they want to do.
    • Like x 1
  14. Red Batern Well-Known Player

There is one EASY fix that is so simple it ridiculous:

***Add a "delete all" to the ignored menu.

Daybreak, do you realize how STUPID RIDICULOUS it is to delete or "clean up" your ignore list because of botspammers? It's completely unnecessary. Just the fact this first step of the solution has not been added makes me think some very unsavory thoughts about your "associations" with said botspammers.

Will this remove people whom you've ignored before? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes. Maybe that person doesn't play anymore. Maybe they changed their attitude and deserve a second chance. Maybe you were out of line and should have never ignored them. maybe their crazy ex-girlfriend/boyfriend hacked their account because they had a DC role play fetish and just needed one more 5 minute "moment" to remember them by.

Whatever the case may be, this is an EXCELLENT starting point and a MUCH MUCH MUCH better solution if nothing is going to be done AT ALL about going after botspammers. Please DB...if you are not going to take the problem seriously, just let use have the option to delete all from our ignore list.

Thank you.
  15. Dene Devoted Player

Take all the gold spammers OFF ignore and start again.. why? Because they change them after a few days and old ones are no longer used/deleted - this will free up your list
    • Like x 1
  16. Bzzzztt Active Player

I was thinking about it the other day, and came up with this: Two separate ignore lists.

/Ignore for the various live jerks, morons, and creeps you need to ban from your online life, and a /Spammer list for the bots and dingbats that you only want to ignore temporarily.
    Have /Ignore be permanent unless you manually remove them. Just like it is now.
    Since the spam bot toons are replaced frequently, have the /Spammer list automatically purge itself on a regular basis, perhaps coinciding with the weekly on duty resets.
    I considered adding something where if X number of players added a character to the /Spammer list in a certain amount of time then devs could be alerted to have them banned, but decided that would be much to easy to abuse.
    • Like x 2
  17. COMBATICUS Dedicated Player

These guys have moved up lol. They even started spamming verses , shouts and lfg at least that's what I'm seeing. Before they were just lfg.
    • Like x 1
  18. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Maybe not to have them banned, but to check the logs at least.
  19. Aetrius Well-Known Player

There were 8 going at once in LFG when I logged on this evening. I still needed TTBE on one of my alts, so I really needed LFG to be clear. I should not have to block bots just to be able to actually use an in-game feature. I know they've said the goldspammers aren't a priority, but FFS it's getting ridiculous.
    • Like x 2
  20. BlackOpz Well-Known Player

Easy Answer. We need a LFG screen/tool instead of using chat to form groups. City of Heroes has a GREAT LFG Tool. Basically, you could see all of the instances Q'd up and even the members waiting for that Q to pop. You click the Q and join. NO CHAT NEEDED. Daybreak could expand it by allowing a title so you could specify if this is a feat run or other info and allow leaders to select icons for team makeup that are removed as the slots are filled (dps/heal/tank/troll/any). This way you could just look at a pending Q and see that they still need a dps/healer/etc by viewing the remaining icons. (been asking for this since BETA). Would also be sweet if you could specify a min CR to join your custom Q.

Without LFG the spammers would have few options left that actually impact the game since most people arent actively trading items. I could deal with them if they only spammed the trade channel since its not something I use every day. We just need to get them out of the MANDATORY for most LFG.
    • Like x 1