Skill Point Allocation in the Weapon Master Era

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Remander, May 1, 2014.

1. Remander Steadfast Player

But your damage will vary depending on your attacks, as well as the content. It's not as easy as just running calculations. Sure, 248 prec = 24.8 DPS, but that's a relative value. You'd have to come up with an average DPS for your toon and rotation and content and adjust it according to the crit and stat bonuses. Not an easy task. As for number of SP and payoff, that would probably depend on what tier your toon is, as well. If you managed to get a lot of SP at a lower tier, those stat bonuses would be huge relative to your gear. If you're entering T6 with only 80 SP, then you may actually want to emphasize crits more (or go farm some SP, lol!).
  2. Remander Steadfast Player

That's why I think crit chance bonus is going to have an edge over crit damage, if you use WM. If you can manage to get up to 28% crit chance, the 360% boost from WM will give you 100% crit chance on your WM combo.
  3. Starbrand Dedicated Player

Good job.

I think it is important to choose a specific set of combos/weapon mastery.

One for range, one for Melee.

If you master more weapons than you are using, you can have some fun but you let precious innates out.

I stil dont have any opinion for the best combos for DPS, they seem "levelled" from a tier perspective (2 taps = damage tier 1 , 3 taps= damage tier 2).

BUT, as we all know, DCUO always has some hidden combos that reveal themselves better than others, so they will appear, soon or later.

(I am using DW/Brawling for Melee, and DW/BOW for range... they are pretty goodm i cant complain about it)
  4. Remander Steadfast Player

Yeah, I like having a ranged and melee option, but I don't see a point in having more combos than that. I'd rather boost my stats. I picked up a 91 1-H in the alert and am only using Focused Blast to Solar Flame currently (when I even use my weapon as a Celestial DPS, lol!).
    • Like x 1
  5. Opamp Committed Player

It does - and it doesn't.

If you generally do hit hit hit hold spell - then you would be doing the same thing with just different skill points.

So you crit damage is a % off what you would do - so let's say it's 24.8 DPS (estimate). What's your DPS with this?
  6. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

It is my understanding how crits work is that when a crit occurs, it takes the damage done at that moment and multiplies it by your Crit Magnitude. If this is true, then increasing your Prec and Might will also increase your crit damage because those stat increases will also increase your damage done at the time of the crit.

My thought is this... if having to choose between crit chance and crit magnitude, I would much rather have more frequent small crits than occasional high crits. It isn't like we are battling bosses 24/7, and a majority of the lessor NPC's those high crits are overkill. Looks nice on a scoreboard, but overall isn't necessary. Thus, by increasing Prec and Might, we are not only increasing our crit damage but also increasing our constant damage output. With high SPs this is irrelevant because you can have both crit chance and crit magnitude, but with WM and the tier 3 Might/Prec innates, those with lower SPs have to make these type of choices.
  7. Red MatrixNeo New Player

I look forward to that if you ever test it!!! Your guides are some of my go to's for information. Thanks again and great job with this!
    • Like x 1
  8. Xzotix Committed Player

Is this theoretical or absolute?
  9. Remander Steadfast Player

3.6 * 28% = 100.8%
    :)
  10. Xzotix Committed Player

Lol. Guess that answers that. Thanks!
  11. Black Jaq Devoted Player

So HB is a tank weapon now LOL. Probably going to go against the chart and stick with my new fave for trolling, 2H>Arrow Storm. I just like it and it is lower tier power regen.
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

Yeah, the spreadsheet is more about what to spec after your main weapon. I wouldn't necessarily choose a weapon or WM combo based on the total stats of the tree.
  13. Xzotix Committed Player

I've always been a rifle fan, don't see myself changing for just WM stats. My alt weapon is HB but I haven't got a drop yet.:mad: Not fully specing HB just yet.
  14. Forced Penance New Player

For my sorcery healer I like running Hand Blasters: solar flame into explosive shot, quick damage between heals.
    For my gadgets troller, I like running brawling into shuriken for the extremely quick hit counter build up off the shuriken.
    My earth tank I haven't delved into yet since weapon mastery...but I did like two handed before...not sure what i'll do now.
  15. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

Well, finally got around to some formal testing. Was interested in whether a crit first spec or a max stats spec would produce more damage. Short story is crit first wins. I'll post the details in the OP when I update the spreadsheet with the Shield tree changes.
    • Like x 1
  17. Ice Lantern New Player

This was great work. However, it's kinda sad that some people can't figure out stuff like this for themselves.
  18. Wallbanger Level 30

What do you want people to do, ignore all the hard work this guy did?

"I just started playing DCUO right before GU37, I barely had the hang of the old system, how should I allocate my skill points now?"

"Figure it out for yourself!"

"But hasn't someone with more time/experience/education/patience already done at least some kind of research on the subject?"

"Doesn't matter, your accomplishments mean nothing if you take help from others!"
    • Like x 2
  19. Gabzorr New Player

That's really nice from you !

I've already made the calcul by myself and if the formulas I got to calcul damages based on prec, might, cac, cad are right, maxing cac/cad first is better compared to maxing stats spec, but only by a low %.

I'll wait on your results to see what you got.
  20. Ice Lantern New Player

1) I didn't say ignore his work. It's great work.

2) There is a difference between not doing something yourself because someone already did the work and not being smart enough to do it yourself.