Screen shots (F9) and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by BumblingB, Aug 13, 2015.

1. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Such things used to be in the .exe's settings in older window's versions. Like right-click and then the file settings. Just a checkbox in compatibility settings. On windows 10 though... *shrug*

You can even use Steam to find the game files ;).
  2. StopPerving Dedicated Player

It's more a case of permissions on the user documents folder and such. Now that I know it works... let me see...

Right click on the program icon then select Troubleshoot compatibility . The system will try a fix which usually fails. Clicking next then gives you a set of choices which includes permission issues. Select this and the problem is permanently cleared for that program. You may have to repeat this for several different programs.

If this doesn't work.. or, as in Bumble's case it's a steam launched program, then...

1. Right click an affected folder.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the Security tab
    4. Click the "Advanced" button.
    5. Click "Change" next to Owner.
    6. Type your username, click the "Check Names" button, then click OK.
    7. Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" under the owner's name.
    8. Click OK again. If you get a message saying "Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?", click "Yes" and you're done.
    9. Click the "Edit" button.
    10. Click on your username from the list.
    11. Check "Full control" underneath it.
    12. Click OK.
    13. Click OK again.

Repeat with all of the problematic folders

And if that fails... lol (ouch)... you might have a crazysetup like mine, and need to go fooling with Onedrive and such by following this (it's way beyond scope of the forum to even delve into this one.): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-causing/43700b79-31a3-43c8-8d30-7863e40d9576
    • Like x 1
  3. BumblingB I got better.

I'll have to try this. At work atm.
  4. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I'm glad I didn't upgrade to Windows 10. At least my Windows 7 is a system I understand :D.

If your explanation helps BB I'll update the issue on the bug tracker with it. Cool stuff!
  5. StopPerving Dedicated Player

To be honest, a short and sweet explanation of it is, that Onedrive resets permissions where it shouldn't. And treats the local computer like a network. Painful.. but eh. Will prob be fixed in a bugfix down the way.
  6. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Fix confirmed, thanks for the instructions. Screenie from 5 mins ago.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  7. BumblingB I got better.

Finally got to try this. Yes, this was the issue. Eventhough I'm administrator, it wasn't letting me write to it because it was a shared folder spot. lol The devs probably should fix this internally when they get a chance.
  8. StopPerving Dedicated Player

I've been researching the issue more lately, and it turns out, it's the new way they activate Onedrive in 10. It can cause problems due to the "shared network" nature that it tries to create. Painful.. but it's been reported to MS at least. A number of programs can do it.. like I had Firefox refusing to save pictures to "Pictures".

Thats why I twigged to it, as the My Games folder lives under Documents along with all this other stuff.
  9. BumblingB I got better.

Yeah, I'm glad you found this work around. OneDrive is being permanently added to Windows10+ builds, so it will definitely be something that needs to be fixed by the programs trying to write to those spots.
  10. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Need to necro thread.

Any update on this? I have DCUO installed on a laptop, windows 8.1 (did not update to WIN10 on this machine).

Currently, I cannot take screenshots via the in-game option. I have to resort to switching the game from fullscreen to windowed mode, then use another program to take screenshots. Unable to use that program to take screenshots when in fullscreen mode.
  11. BumblingB I got better.

There was a patch that fixed it, so not sure. Have you gotten all recent windows updates?
  12. loupblanc Dedicated Player

There was a hotfix patch?

Windows 8.1 updates? Not recently.
  13. BumblingB I got better.

I am not sure then try the work around above and see if it helps.
  14. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Workaround didnt work.
  15. BumblingB I got better.

I'm afraid I don't know. I'm currently using Windows 10 and one of the thousand updates they gave out fixed the issue. Did they completely drop 8.1 now? Do they no longer update it with patches?