Rip to BoP alert runs

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DCUO SmackThem, Jan 12, 2021.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If you're talking about the one people pay for...maybe. I personally won't champion that, but feel free to start that subject and explain why you think it should happen.

If you're speaking about the FREE Cr skip, then yes, they should give you what you need for Base Mainframe essentials. As for artifacts, usually these CR skips are given out during the Anniversary and they have given enough rank up at least one artifact up to a usable level. Asking for more than that doesn't make sense since that would go counter to their interests (getting us to invest in artifacts). Would it be nice, sure, but I don't think we should be expecting or demanding that.
  2. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You start by finding out what their power is and then getting anyone in your group with knowledge of that powerset to give them some basic tips. You make it sound like this is impossible to do. This would be no different than telling your group what the strategy is to beat a certain boss when the content is new.
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I'm being called out for something, but it's very unclear to me what exactly i'm being called out for?!!?
  4. Noble One Committed Player

.....and yet all evidence to the contrary. if this was true then this topic would exist. also thats real nice on who you skipped my very first line on trying to teach others. granted not everyone is the same and a few will listen which is great but most doing like being told what to do. we still have people that wont even listen when you tell them on changing from dps to their support because they queued in as both and wonder why there isnt any.

but yeah call content is beatable with the recommended gear and stats.... btw unholy matrimony, darkest night, DWF (just to name a few) would like a word with you on that.
    • Like x 1
  5. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

Sure, a few people might think that, but I'd assume that the majority of players who use a free CR skip will see that prompt and think "Oh..... I have to pay real money just to use this??? Pass...."

I do see your point on the devs not giving things away for free, but let's be honest here, how much money are they actually making from the Home Turf DLC and the Utility Belt? I'd imagine the bulk of their income will be coming from stabilizers, artifacts and replay badges etc
    When it comes to these free CR skips, there needs to be a better solution to giving new players access to the basic things they'll actually need.

Personally, I think the best 'middle-ground' would be for the devs to put together a one-time purchase 'bundle pack for beginners'. Price it at say, $15-20 (so it's a fair and manageable price-of-entry for most), and place it prominently on the Marketplace screen. It should either, be available to players who have never subbed before, or, be available to everyone, but only purchase-able once, and it should contain things a new player will actually need going forward, such as Home Turf/Utility Belt, a 2nd armory, some source marks and a basic set of generator mods (maybe even a one-time one-month sub if they're feeling generous?). Obviously, they could still continue to sell all of these things separately.

I feel like currently, the marketplace is a confusing mess, and there's so much stuff in there that most new players won't know what they should or should not buy. I think a lot of people might be fooled into buying the 'Starter Pack by LexCorp' for £6.49, because it sounds like the right thing to buy, but it's not really going to be terribly helpful for a new player as it contains relatively useless items such as soder colas, stabilizers, basic gear and xp boosters etc. The Lexcorp Automated Sidekick is probably the only kinda useful thing in that bundle, and that alone ain't worth the money lol!

A fresh 290 player is gonna need access to their generator and (ideally) 2 armories, not soder colas and xp boosters, yet armories aren't even on the 'Featured' tab of the MP! They're buried away in 'Base Items' (13 tabs down) on page 3 of 8 (14th item down). Who is going to see that?? Let alone know that it's something they'll actually need? Hell, even the Gear Up bundle is buried at the bottom of the 'Bundles' tab!

(I should add that this isn't really relevant to me as I've been a subscriber for over 6 years, but I do also try and look at things from the perspective of a new or f2p player as occasionally my sub will go down for a day or 2 and I suddenly realise how restricted I am without these things. My main becomes literally unplayable lol)
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If everyone decides on which turret to focus fire on, it can be handled easily. That's a co-ordination check not burn. Focus on the same turret, then move on to next one together. I will give it to you that you do need a decently skilled/geared healer as you do take a lot of hits in there.
  7. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The DLC can't be "pointless" as you put it if it contains many things considered integral.
  8. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

I don't mean the Utility Belt within the DLC itself is pointless, i mean it feels pointless locking such a relatively small thing away behind a paywall when it should really be just a standard part of the game by now.
  9. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

It's not impossible, but it is incredibly inconvenient to do while you're in a raid. Taking a minute or two to explain a strategy is very different to taking 15-20 minutes to explain to someone how their power works!

I'm not against helping people learn their powers, and I've taken randoms aside numerous times for an hour or more to talk them through their power and help them with loadouts and artifact builds and such, but there's a time and a place for it, and the start of Darkseids War Factory elite ain't the place lol
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I don't even think the DLC comes with it anymore. It's an a-la-carte $5 purchase each for the lair, belt and shield OR the gear up bundle.

And yeah, just like almost any other 'Free' game out there you will need to spend a few bucks to enjoy more perks. $5 for premium or $10 for the gear up (which would then grant premium) gets you a lot of stuff. Stay F2P for a few weeks and make up your mind if the reasonably small spend is right for you. None of the stuff mentioned is 'required' to run content at level, but yeah...it would help. The 2nd armory for sure is not required because most people shouldn't be bothering with 2 roles till they have 3 artis for 1 role at 120 at least. All this stuff becomes more important if you dual role.....which no one is required to do at first.

I would see the benefit of a 'starter' package that would give you the actual 'needed' things vs a bunch of cosmetics and things you don't need to play (like legends or trinkets). I'd think a $30-$40 bundle that gave what's in the gear up bundle, a 2nd armory, 200 source the teleporter and a portable workstation + the equivillent of the artifact package given in the skip would be a good idea. Base mods, shouldn't be needed as you can start farming them in content right away. You can have a set of 12 in a week easy, with your primary 4 probably in 1 or 2 sessions. A bit harder now that they are dropping randoms vs a box, but you'd have the .0 ones done pretty quick at least, with a few .3 ones sprinkled in.
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I can remember failing on this with a group of 290s AT level when it was current, so I dont think it's as easy as all that. Remember I'm taking queue up groups...not put together ones or league runs. And if you take a competent healer out, no amount of focus or co-ordination will likely get you through before someone dies and can't be picked up.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm talking general queues ups where we can assume for a while at least, 2 will be 290 skips.

It will also be fun in COP after they power level 10 CR (probably happening already).
    • Like x 1
  12. Proxystar #Perception

If you people don't want to be subject to CR boosted players then don't randomly queue content, that is what LFG is there for, so you can form your own group and exclude them if need be.

There is nothing wrong with boosters, they're not intended to provide a massive power level, and nor should they ever, they're a partial headstart, that's all.
    • Like x 1
  13. nawanda Loyal Player

I was referring to your first post in the thread where you suggested the OP should queue for the alert and then when matched with CR skippers, give them a game tutorial.

Would it kill you to acknowledge that while we all appreciate free CR skips being given out as gifts, they do create this type of problem?
  14. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Maybeee, but I'm not so sure about that. The difference between someone with 120 arts, 290+ augments and 250+ sp compared to a cr skipped toon is giant, really huge, people without this kind of gearset used to do only event versions or get carried by people with 450+ sp and full arts when the episode launched, so I doubt a group of average players (Know how to play the game, have good loadouts but aren't top tier gods) who cr skipped will be able to beat bop alert in a decent time (<2 hours)
    • Like x 1
  15. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

Gonna be fun when all these people get high enough to do bounties. 30+ people, full phase, zero burn
  16. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I like the idea of an adjustable que size.
    Having more SP at a skip won't fix the issue of people not knowing their roles, that's a given. But I think it'd might help just a bit here and there when it comes to players being "underpowered."

But that's just the way I look at it, if your still backtracking by a large margin(I mean we're talking people still having to run Tier 5/Tier 4 feats.... in 2021 and it's still difficult as you mentioned because of the 7 group needed.) then the skip isn't doing it's job, your not really set to run end-game without threads like this one popping up year after year.(Not a dig at you, OP. Just a general thing.)

As far as Paradox wave goes, your running this with LFG/league/ or random que?
  17. Noble One Committed Player

i really wish edit lasted permanently. the errors.... my god!!
  18. Vella Well-Known Player

Ye talking about the free ones. Arts aren't really usable until 120. I'm not asking for 160 arts, just high enough so these new doods can hold their own. As for CR Skip alts, enough SP dump should make up for low arts, plus game play skill helps too.
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I didn't suggest the OP to queue...in fact I always advocate the opposite unless you're prepared to deal with what will very likely come. That said, what I suggested was that if you (the player) choose to blind queue and find yourself with unskilled players, try to impart some knowledge (without attitude otherwise what's the point), and just maybe you'll get through the content.

Would it kill me...no, but it would make me feel like crap for perpetuating a lie. Anyone who has been here for 8+ years knows that this issue precedes CR skips. I'll repeat...CR skips are not the cause of the problem. Never was. The problem has been and will always be the lack of any tutorial that teaches some basics. Before CR skips people could be walked in to some content that they were not geared for just so they could acquire better gear along with some higher cr gear being tradable. Even with strong gear a lot of players failed hard because they had no clue what they were doing.

Unfortunately lack of tutorials is still an ongoing issue. CR skips only highlight the existing issue, not create it. Until something gets done about that, we do what we can, much like how many players used to. Each one teach one. Back in 2012 someone took the time to give me some guidance real quick and that completely changed my DCUO experience. Eventually I did the same for others.
    • Like x 3
  20. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

I personally don’t agree. If you’re telling your group a strategy to beat a certain fight. You don’t need to delve into detail as to what to. Just “Follow the on screen instructions” “Block when the boss does this” “grab the barrels” simple instruction.

You gotta explain the entire mechanics of a power to someone, What each power does, You might even have to explain what a PI is. What a buff/debuff is what tank abilities are and much more. It’s not exactly simple as “Do this” or do that” loadouts are usually personal preference and may require testing to see if it’s viable. You could obviously give them Meta loadouts but they aren’t gonna be even close to as effective as the people with decent arts, and the essentials such as base mods, and mainframe mods. It’s too much to teach when all Players wanna do is to get a quick pug run in while I finish up dailies. As I’ve said I’m not against the idea of CR skips, but they shouldn’t be allowed to run certain content in certain roles if they can’t even perform that role at a basic level.

It’s alright to give tips, but when it’s being left up to the players to give new players a full tutorial on how to play the game at end game. There’s a problem.
    • Like x 1