Request For An African Style

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Highplains Sailor, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

I recently made an African character and I realized I haven't seen an African type style. I've seen Egyptian, Greco-Roman, Mayan and other styles but nothing African based (that I've seen).

Gear that appears as leopard or lion or zebra skins and perhaps some African style face/body paint would be a great addition to all the other themes that exist.

A staff could appear as an African style spear. A shield could look like one of the long shields some African tribes used with the various designs on them, and so forth.

Opinions? Thanks!
    • Like x 11
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yes, have wanted the Zulu stabbing spear and shield for a long time (well, in EQ2 at least, have a froggy assassin who uses an African-style spear butt no shield though :()

Not sure how the 'spear and shield' would work in here though: it's spear or shield, unless it's a variation on Dual Wield (even then, not sure how it would work, or even if it could)
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Can you please post pictures of examples? I have trouble imagining anything beyond loincloths of native tribes.

We really need better tattoo skins... Body paint is an awesome idea though...
  4. EconoKnight XIII Legion

• Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Ignore the shadow of the camera at the end, they didn't know better back then :p
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

Is this where I point out that Egypt is in Africa?

I also can't wait to see the various, shall we say, racially insensitive outfits something like this will lead to. LOL
    • Like x 4
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

People tend to forget that not all native Africans are black (or brown in most cases)
  8. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

I'll take something simple as a Dashiki as seen on Lamont Sanford (left).
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  9. Al Uzza Active Player

Try Divine arcane sorceress legs, and if you’re a hero you could swap it with the indigo armor legs (sorry forgot the name), and tint the leg color to your preferred skin color to get the loincloth legs. I think the closest you can get to an African warrior head might be the shaman head style. You can use the barbaric skin tone to get a tribal kind of tattoos. For weapons, maybe the dinolcale bo, and the skull can be an animal skull. For the chest, you can do none or the Mayan maybe. That’s alll I can think for an African character, hope it helped.
  10. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

[IMG]

This is what we would want.
    • Like x 7
  11. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

I was gonna recommend the VooDoo suit lol
  12. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

I would love if they added stuff from different cultures. We need more stuff like this and modern clothing instead of copy / paste from iconic.
    • Like x 5
  13. Hraesvelg Always Right

That could certainly be considered one, since Voodoo (at least the Louisiana form, with which I am most familiar) is a descendant of the West African practice of Vodun...
    • Like x 1
  14. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Hey... no fair throwing geography into this... ;)

I think a lot of people forget that countries like Morocco, Libya, Tunisia, and Egypt are all in northern Africa even though we associate them a bit more with the Middle East.

I do agree with the OP in that yes, it would be a nice add to have something (western, central, or southern) African themed in terms of a style available to add to the flexibility of what people can create for their characters. To do it properly would and should require some in-depth research to ensure it's done correctly. As to racial insensitivity, there is only so much that you can do... or as it's been said in the past... "Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
    • Like x 2
  15. FoolsFire Devoted Player

^^ Thank you. :)
  16. Balton hero Committed Player

I was waiting for this. I didn't want to have to be the one that said it.
  17. Balton hero Committed Player

Don't want to start a whole racial thing, but personally I've been wanting for years now for them to give a good Celtic warrior/tartan style for St. Patrick's day.
  18. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

Yes it is but the Egyptian style is unique to Egypt, not the rest of Africa. Hence the request for something like in the image that Burning_Baron posted.
    • Like x 1
  19. Hraesvelg Always Right

Well, saying "Africa" like it's one unified place is a bit insulting. Egypt is part of Africa. Do you want Zulu? Maasai? Yoruba? It's like saying I want traditional "European" clothing. German? Celtic? Greek?
    • Like x 2
  20. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

When asking for an 'African' style I was very well aware that there is no single 'African' clothing style, as the continent of Africa is populated by many cultures. Currently, the only African choice is Egyptian which is just a part of Africa. Perhaps I should have asked for a specific style (say Zulu) to start, with the hope others would eventually be added to give people more choice.

I was just asking for a new style. I didn't think it was going to turn into a big deal.
    • Like x 3