Recap of the Sixth Dimensional Time Capsule!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Jun 9, 2021.

1. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Batman- Future crusader.

Flash- just this past anny event.

Supermans New 52 suit has been in game since the start with no emblem but it did come later

Fallen god superman

The point is there are examples of direct suits made that are a 1 to 1 of a certain comic counterpart. Which is why the 6th dimension one where they dont want us being a 1 to 1 doesnt make me think that's the reason. DC is a mystery when it comes to what they let DCUO use and not use and why. Obviously DCUO knows. We never will.

And i guess you could count WW new 52 outfit from lock boxes as well. No real emblem there but its her outfit.
  2. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

And you are incorrect. We know this because this isn't the first time this kind of thing has come up. Megzilla and others have explained to us what kind of involved process it is. This isn't as simplistic as 3D modeling.

When they make that chest piece we just got (much like every piece before it), yes, they go through the 3D modeling process after they've done their 2D sketches. But in order to make the piece itself they have to make one specifically for each and every body type and size we have. So that's Small Sprite, Small Medium, and Small Brute. Then the next size up, and then the next. The gear pieces/Styles don't autoscale to the body type/Size. That has to be done individually for each one. Then the same process has to be repeated for the female form, and also take into account the female shape. This is unfortunately how it is because of design decisions made over 10 years ago (way before beta or alpha). Once they've done that work, they have to move on to the next. They don't have the luxury of doing a second set to make other players happy.
    • Like x 3
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

So, I'm not wrong then. There are no examples of a 1:1 suit in the game that includes the emblem. If it's 1:1 they remove the emblem. The reason they do this is that they don't want players to be able to completely recreate their most important flagship characters because it dilutes (potentially opens them up to legal disputes over ownership rights) their copyright and trademark if they do.

This is why I explained the criteria I did. It wasn't an arbitrary criteria. I was explaining critical elements needed to establish legal copyright and trademarks on a character's appearance.

Again;
    • We can have the suit or the emblem but not both at the same time for the big 3. SO if they do the suits with emblems they're original or not 1:1 duplicates.
    • They're especially protective of the Trinity. They care less about other characters. Flash isn't the character we're talking about or one of the big3 they're more protective of. Although I admit I was surprised they did a 1:1 Rebirth costume with the emblem, but it's the only example of this happening in the whole game. It could mean things are changing down the road or it's an exception.
    • Stalwart Defender (New52 Superman) suit is 1:1 as far as I can tell, but excludes the emblem. See point 1
    • Noble Warrior (New52 WW) is not 1:1 and also excludes an emblem. See point 1
    • Future Crusader and Fallen God styles are original designs by the DCUO dev team and not directly from the comics. Afaik they don't appear in the comics at all, and are loosely inspired by some looks from the books. If you disagree feel free to cite some sources from the books and I'll research them. Creating original designs like these gives the dev team more flexibility building the styles but even they were restricted by RGB channel locks and by having baked in emblems etc which limited customization for player characters so they cannot look identical to the canon character.
    All this is based on my own experience and understanding with similar copyright issues, and based on explanations from the Dev team early during launch. If I'm off somewhere I'm sure Mepps or someone else green can correct me. But hope this explains better. Cheers.
    • Like x 1
  4. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Meh. I stand by what i said. Dont think that's the reason. You put in batman and flash emblems and their suits its the same idea. If they didnt want them running around looking like them that wouldn't be the case.

Its why we didn't get green auras for years. Too close to GLs. But thats obviously not the case anymore. So leads me to believe thats not the issue when it comes to not including the emblem.

And fallen god is based off of other suits supes has worn in other media. Im on a phone so i cant link right now but a google search shows this.

Edit again. From the graphic novel Godfall.
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Baked in = built in. Means it's not fully customizable by the player. And like I explained, they're original designs (that don't appear in canon / comics) the game has more flexibility with.
  6. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

read up. Edited.
  7. Apollonia Dedicated Player

It is the reason, but believe as you want. The examples you gave were explained.
  8. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

No no. We dont know the reason. We're both guessing.
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  10. FoolsFire Devoted Player

It's great we get the Superboy jacket.

Though many of us have long hoped to get a jacket like that which is a Back style. This way we could choose any slimline style to go with it.
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't think that fits, though. Even if you take away the head, shoulder and hand pieces the Fallen God gear has a lot more lines and details than we see in the image KHALONofOGUN supplied (and in what images popped up when I searched Godfall), plus neither the chest piece or the belt has the Superman emblem built in the belt buckle like we see in the artwork.

Even the Superman anniversary emblem has a black border around it, so that's not even a 1:1 copy. The only things I can think of that are 1:1 copies are the Batman anniversary emblem (if there's a difference from that Batman emblem in the comics I can't see it LOL) and the BvS Swag Bag Batman and Superman emblems.
  12. Apollonia Dedicated Player

me: The Devs explained this [explains how it works], plus from my own prof experience this is how it works.
    you: no no, we're both guessing.
    me: ...

You're guessing. I'm not.

Again, if you're able to find an example that falls outside of the criteria I explained above, you can claim otherwise. If not; sorry. If I'm wrong or substantively far off, Mepps or another green name will come in and correct me, I'm sure.

So it looks like it is a direct 1:1 (not original) and that's why the emblem is baked in and colour locked as I explained above. Also note this is not his normal iconic costume design obviously, so it wouldn't threaten their copyright. This is similar to FP WW's TC look. It's also 1:1 and includes the emblem but since it's not her iconic look and only a variant, it doesn't threaten their copyright.

Thankyou, I've never seen this suit or story. Turner art so it's pretty old.
    • Like x 1
  13. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Sigh....

No. You're still guessing based on things you ascertained. I'm telling you i dont think that's the reason because we've seen plenty of ways in game to make exact clones of iconics. Now they're gonna draw a line at 6th Dimensional Superman??!?!?

We all knows how this works. Not just you. A lot of us have been here long enough to understand DC is inconsistent with what they allow and don't. You're saying its because they wouldn't want a 1 to 1. Well we did with fallen god. Then you move the goal posts and say oh well its obscure. Then i also said we've gotten iconic suits with emblems baked in like future crusader. Then you move the goal posts and say oh its just a DCUO creation. Well last time i checked it still has the iconic bat symbol on it. It's still batman

Sorry no. Not buying it

And you saying its no big deal because fallen god isn't really iconic? It has the emblem on it. That's it. You're telling me 6th Dimensional superman is iconic? Huh? They're both obscure.

And out of respect to Zoe and not to further derail the thread. I'm done.
    • Like x 1
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Sigh, indeed. We're having an asymmetrical conversation here.

I'm relaying information shared with me/us/the community from closed beta and early launch. And I'm also relaying my own knowledge gained through more than 15-20 years of experience working with different IPs and copyright, professionally. I'm explaining the thing you don't understand and have to guess about, to you. Instead of conceding I know something you don't, you're mischaracterizing my knowledge as speculation to present your uninformed opinions and feelings as substantively equal to my knowledge and experience. They aren't.

You're guessing. I'm not.

Facts don't stop being facts bc ColdChilln88 doesn't believe in them.:rolleyes:

No one is concerned with what you *think* the reason is. It's irrelevant to the conversation.

I've explained to you that your examples are invalid. The examples you believed were identical, were not identical; or in the 2 situations they really were identical, they were for non-iconic looks, non-trinity characters and/or baked in or colour locked to limit customization---exactly how I outlined above previously.

We're unable to make an exact clone of any of the iconic characters in the game. We get very close for less important characters to the licenser but we're only able to achieve "passable" at best for the most important characters to the franchise. This is not an accident and is intentional.

No, just because the emblem is on it, doesn't make it iconic. And this is where the asymmetry becomes obvious. You're simply unfamiliar with a lot of the language, terminology and meanings of most of what we're discussing and you have no understanding of copyright or the legalities involved. You don't see differences or distinctions in things and myself and others can see them. It's an alien language to you so *you're guessing*. It's not mysterious to me at all.

Fallen God is a canon look, however, it is not Superman's Iconic look. His iconic look is what they protect and is copyright, because it's the most identifiable to the public. For example, the copyright and trademark are based on elements of his costume being present like his red underwear. During the New52 era, DC lost/gave up the rights to have him wearing red underwear because they were unwilling to pay the Shuster estate royalties. So, Jim Lee removed the red underwear from his costume for the New52 design to avoid paying those royalties. DC has since reversed course and chosen to pay the estate after all and Superman now has red underwear again.

Why does that matter? Because I'm showing you how the legalities of copyright work. This is why they approve or refuse certain style elements how they do. This is also why some costume elements are so specific; and what might seem insignificant to you as someone who is *not at all* detail oriented, is actually very important to the license holder and IP.

6th Dimension could have been exactly 1:1 with a baked in emblem like Sammy wanted. If they did, it would have had the baked in emblem and probably would have had some colour locked channels limiting its versatility. Instead, they chose to not include the emblem to let a wider variety of players use the style. I explained this earlier and it's not complicated.

[edit] Ps. coming back to the Flash as an example, someone pointed out to me that in fact, Flash isn't an example supporting your argument either because Barry isn't the Flash anymore (again). Wally is and his costume has an open cowl. Barry's iconic look doesn't have the new52 glowy stripes -- so they don't care to protect that look. Similarly, Captain Marvel's look is finally getting rid of the glowy bolt and reverting to something closer to his iconic look. Mystery solved.

Respect? That ship sailed years ago.
  15. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Sure.

1. You don't work for DC nor DCUO.
    2. You continue to move goal posts.
    3. We know how copyright works. Doesn't mean we automatically are privy to the reason DC doesnt want the emblem back in the game on this suit. You don't need to work in a field to know DC wants and doesnt want certain things to be licensed out.
    4.You can think you are correct. Its honestly fine. I'm not that invested. But in reality. You dont know the reason. This is a cold hard fact. I don't know either. Owell.

Have a good day.
  16. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I had 15 stabilizer for the bonus week, i got the material to drop after 10 packs! This is the first time ever i got a material to drop
    • Like x 1
  17. Apollonia Dedicated Player

1) That's true. I'm not currently employed by WBGames or DCUO. The laws haven't changed in decades and I still have years of experience working with these issues. Oh and Spytle essentially explained most of this to us years ago.
    2) No goal posts were moved. They are the exact same since the first reply and have been repeatedly explained to you. You just don't understand the legalities and complexities so you think a goal post was moved when a detail is explained to you.
    3) No, you don't. If you did, we wouldn't be having this exchange. It's like saying we don't really know if an athlete meant to score a goal when they scored a goal. The actions they've taken and not taken are obvious to anyone who understands the topic.
    4) Again, you don't know. I do. I know you're only invested in arguing with me specifically and not the facts of the topic at all.

Have a great day.
  18. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Lol sure. You as well
  19. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Wow...10 openings. Meanwhile I had opened...an embarrassing amount before one dropped for me. Which I sold (in order to get the money I had spent for it on the broker just a few minutes earlier). :D