Test Discussion PvP Adjustments - 01/22/2016

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Mepps, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hi all,

We would like to start this new thread specifically to update everyone on and discuss our plans regarding the handblasters/aoe block breaks/melee taps/screen blocking scenario.

• For now, we will maintain the change to handblasters (removing the AOE block break), so that it does not remain the only weapon with an AOE block break in the game, as this is inherently unfair and unbalanced.
    • We will also increase the number of melee taps required to trigger a block counter from 3 to 5 in PvP, to limit the frequency and effectiveness of screen blocking off of melee taps.

Any action or even inaction here will be controversial. However, the purpose of this PvP update is to move us toward a stronger foundation, not fix every last problem. The adjustment to handblaster moves us toward balance even if it does not get us all the way there, by correcting a previous error and the oversight in not removing it, and the adjustment to taps is being made after careful consideration of all of the possibilities and suggestions brought up so far in response.

We will continue to monitor this issue, how players adapt, and PvP as a whole as we look toward future changes.

We expect the tap change to hit test this evening, and would greatly appreciate testing over the weekend. These two changes can be reverted if we deem it necessary based on testing, however please also remember that work will continue based on the greater population's feedback even once these changes are playable live. GU56 is the beginning, a first step in the right direction, not the last.

Thank you for testing!
    • Like x 19
  2. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I can't wait to test this. Thank you :).
    • Like x 4
  3. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

I personally feel that the screenblocking issue has been WAY overstated. I'm not a fan of it myself, but it was never screenblocking that competitive teams took issue with. It was being able to get blue immunities from screenblocking. The tap change is completely unnecessary and is a significant change to the combat mechanics of the game.
  4. ZypherUSPC Committed Player

Perfect. This works for us. Thanks.
    • Like x 3
  5. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  6. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Thank you, even if it wasn't the change we were hoping for this should at least slightly alleviate the current issue of screenblocking in our scrims.

I'll definitely be testing this out as much as possible through the weekend.
    • Like x 3
  7. appocolyps Committed Player

Excellent choices guys, looking forward to getting my hands on this update!
    • Like x 1
  8. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

It might have helped 4v4 and 5v5, but i see this making duels and 2v2 worse, which a bulk of the community play. Never understood why all weapons coukdn't have an aoe bb
    • Like x 1
  9. Soul Dedicated Player

A couple of points regarding the change to tap count for counter:

1. Just as melee taps were blockable after 3 hits, ranged taps are interruptable after 3 hits. I believe this was a source of balance between the two, and it might need addressing. (Possibly by making ranged tap count go up to 5 as well before they are interruptable)

2. This change will vastly affect weapons with faster melee tap animations, or animations that change drastically as taps continue (Dovetails)
    For example:
    HB - first two taps are fluent, third has a very long dovetail.
    2H - all taps are the same without any dovetail. (If not specced into a certain combo)
    1H - all taps are the same without any dovetail. (if not specced into a certain combo)
    MA - 5th tap dovetail
    DP - first two taps are fluent, third has a very long dovetail.
    Brawling - no dovetails
    Etc..

(If anyone is wondering why this matters, it affects baiting and mind games.. which are a big part of PvP)

From a 1v1 perspective:
    To me it seems like Weapons were pretty much made around the 3 tap to a counter method, most will be completely out of rhythm without it.
    And if damage on all of them really will be equalized, introduced single target options and such, it would mean no one would ever choose a weapon with a dovetail.. it'll just be a big disadvantage.

These points are less about 4v4 and 5v5 scrims, where neither will be felt as strongly, I don't believe anyway..
    I'll wait and see how the testing goes and do some tests myself.

Edit: Oh! and will these updates affect Legends?
    Are legends going to be working under the same 5 taps to a counter method?

Thank you for all the hard work ! :p
  10. KodyDerp Dedicated Player

In my head..this plays out at being a really bad thing for people who enjoy duels/2s..We'll test it to the fullest and see how it plays out though.
    • Like x 1
  11. Kuroki Honoo Committed Player

Don't turtle :3
  12. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

To be perfectly honest, if they are holding block that long, they should be block broken. If you don't block break them, that's your own fault.

From a more objective view, combos that take more than 3 taps are easily interrupted by crowd control.
  13. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

I'm predicting a severe unbalancing and damage to the mechanics with this change to melee taps.
    • Like x 1
  14. Soul Dedicated Player

He's saying it takes away from the reason you should block to begin with, try and imagine the amount of space you get to work with now that you can 5 tap before a counter.

Commitment as a whole will change.
    I'm not going to say this is drastic and game breaking before I test it, but it does seem like it has the potential to.
    • Like x 1
  15. Kuroki Honoo Committed Player

I'm looking at it as making people block on combos only. Instead of blocking repeatedly trying to get the 3 tap counter, you'll have to predict when they finish combos. The worst someone can do with this is just keep tapping melee and then just tap range when someone blocks and go back to tapping melee.
    • Like x 1
  16. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Not taking away the hard work the testers put in, but i seeva lot of changes happening when the pvp update hit live. A lot of players will enjoy most of the changes though
  17. Soul Dedicated Player

I think this change is big enough to warrant testing with every single weapon in a 1v1 and 2v2 situation.

Until everything is tested I'm not going to claim I know whether this is bad, good, or irrelevant..
  18. ZypherUSPC Committed Player

You guys should be blocking holds for counter efficiency. If you hold block for the length of 3 taps in a non-group scenario you are bad. This doesn't imbalance the game at all. It just makes spamming block less effective with more skill requirement in regards to timing.

Either way, I'd recommend testing over thinking about it.
    • Like x 6
  19. Kuroki Honoo Committed Player

Well I'll be on for 1v1's all today, I'll be testing everything. I'll just be popping in once every hour to see when test server is up and then I'll prob stay on it for the rest of the night.
    • Like x 1
  20. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

I'm not trying to take anything away from them either, but the fact is that competitive teams on console have been dealing with screenblocking with no aoe bb being used (HB was never a preferred weapon) for the better part of three years and it was never the issue it has been played up to be. Teams adapted and dealt with screenblock abuse. The only issue involving screenblocking has been the screenblocker getting blue immunities from the counter.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.