Prices on the Broker totally out of control!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ambassador of Krypton, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Drathmor Unwavering Player

not true this games economy was falsely inflated several times over many glitches and was never wiped out to correct the monopoly money issues
    • Like x 1
  2. Drathmor Unwavering Player

there are many people who have no clue as to what's valuable and what's not and don't even care about it and those rare items will always be placed on broker by someone even with their added triangle button look up
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

zeroing out the economy would fix it and should have been done after the first money glitch people would cry and moan over their lost monoply money and then be right back at it a month later and over it
  4. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

I see it so often in just about every game I've played with a NA market. It's always booty and usually has either a problem with gold sellers/buyers or money glitches that were never addressed because "it'll affect everyone including legitimate players" or "people will just hide their money in mail/messages/etc".

DCUO isn't the first game I've played to see this play out enough to make my statement, and it certainly won't be the last until a dev team can nut up enough to bite the bullet and do what needs to be done to salvage a market for more than the top 0.01%.
  5. Drathmor Unwavering Player

thats exactly what happen the last time they tried to address it. best way is a clean wipe like ripping off a Band-Aid people get mad then move on or leave but in my mind if your leaving over some digital money your not a player your a burden that needs to be tossed
    • Like x 1
  6. Monkeyboy Committed Player

What can Devs do besides price capping? Zeroing everyone out still won't stop people from buying styles for 3X the price, they can get it from a style vendor. Or the convience of stat soders already made. The market will just go back to where it is. So, what can Devs do?
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Oh I'm sure someone would throw something like the Comic Material on the broker for $100M just to get snatched up by you know who flips it for $12B.

The super rich still win. GG.
    • Like x 1
  8. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

Considering how one of said games I've played had items that were outside of the market cap to the extent that people only traded them via RMT, they'd need to pull something along the lines of a regulated market pricing, a pity system (for collection items, which in turn affects some rewards given only by them), or allowing you to buy said items directly for a flat or dynamic price.

You know, unless you want to implement incremental taxation where the default is the 10% markdown in place now, but above a certain limit that 10% tax increases up to a cap of 30-40%. You have to hurt the wallet to reduce hyper inflation since absolutely nothing in the game outside of player delivered nonsense even costs more than, what, $9100 at most?

Half the problem is on the off chance devs do implement money wipes, they end up announcing them beforehand which just gives people ample time to hide it in the first place. To say nothing and just do it, then explain it after the fact is what should be done, but most teams don't want that "bad PR" associated with it.
    • Like x 1
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

They can't hide their cash currently since mailboxes are still locked.
    • Like x 1
  10. Drathmor Unwavering Player

true in real life as well as virtual ones

imagine the *crying* of all those cash spammers would make it all worth it :D
    • Like x 1
  11. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

I never have anyone to use a mailbox with in the first place so I wouldn't know. But if they wanted to address it either one of those ways, may as well get started and reset the brokers by giving everyone their items back at the same time rather than leave multi-million cash items on the board.
  12. Monkeyboy Committed Player

Think about what you wrote. People found a way around the system. Taking choice away is good? It's a system for and by the community. It's a choice to engage with. If you want an item you can't afford, you go earn it. Is the system unfair, to those that can't/won't play it, then yes. The Broker is a game in itself. Besides Booster Bundles and Marketplace only items, everything is free, RNG willing.
    • Like x 1
  13. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

• Like x 1
  15. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

But, goddarn, it's a pretty good effing milkshake.
    • Like x 1
  16. Ambassador of Krypton Well-Known Player

I'll throw it out there, already knowing I'm gonna get quite a backlash: how about totally deleting the broker? How about replacing it with an "official" marketplace where you can find all of the items in the game (obviously keeping the possibility to drop those items on your own) at a price (in-game cash) that is always the same and decided by the devs? No more trading between players, only this marketplace. You want an item? Good, just play the game until you achieve the amount of cash you need to buy it.
  17. Hraesvelg Always Right

Eh, the idea of the broker (and a free market itself) is for the trading of items that you get that you might not want. Say I got an extra rare, but I need another rare...you sell the extra and buy the one you need. As most systems, the more people and items involved, the more complex it gets, but it's a secondary market. Your "solution" just creates another vendor. It takes some of the "thrill of the hunt" out of the game. Getting a rare drop generally gives a hit of dopamine that makes people want to play more, akin to hitting a jackpot. It also removes another long-term/stretch goal. Working the broker means more time in game and more engagement. Acquiring items to sell becomes another motivator to play.
    • Like x 1
  18. The Rawck New Player

Hello, returning player here.
    Back in the days I used to decide the price of collection pieces based on supply and demand. For checking rarity I used someone's spreadsheet available over the web and my own combat log stats(is combat log reader still a thing tho?) as reference.
    Now that I'm back I noticed that some which used to be the rare ones like Wof Den, Gotham Zoo and others worth nothing these days, while others which used to be common skyrocketed it's prices.
  19. the solowing Steadfast Player

How will wiping everyone's money to $0 go over well with the community? Guilty nor innocence will be spared.
  20. the solowing Steadfast Player

You havent gotten rid of the glitched money....Thats only going to happen with a money wipe, those that don't use the forum are going to have a rude awakening when they login and all their money is gone after they sold their "Lighting-bolt of Zeus" for 100 million the day prior through a legitimate transaction.

Thats a step too far, that most players will completely be blindsided by. That will cause some degree of exodus.

Anything short of a money wipe, youll have to accept a degree of "fake money" floating around the system.

RMT is very difficult to take care of.

What happened if i brought DCUO cash, and traded it to you for a super expensive item, and you used that money to buy something you wanted?

And the person who sold you that item, decided to be generous and give it to a friend.

And that friend decided to do a cash prize giveaway to the top 3 winners?

And the winners decided to buy themselves some Broker collections to finish out a Feat.

Sure you can ban the source. But the cash has been thoroughly scattered throughout the player-base, and the only way youre going to fix it is by wiping both innocent and guilty's accounts clean.

Im sure you can imagine the sheer backlash that would in ensue.
    • Like x 1