New powers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tros, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Emoney Dedicated Player

Fires popularity has nothing to do with absorb heat lol.

I don't think it's broken, because damage is stopped when cancelled. Therefore it's a dual role power. As dps, you want the damage, not heals, so ya don't cancel it. As a Tank, you want the heals, and mobility, not damage and stuck in animation. Therefore As tank, when you cancel, you are using it as a heal power only. It's on par with other heals and shields.

Now, if the damage did not cancel, I would agree with you. And if it were changed like you want, it becomes a non use power for tanking and hybrid setups.

I've been fire since 2011, and I love that it is a very versatile power, decent looking animations, lots of options for thematic styles, and heal tanking is a fun way to play. Dps is decent with many options.

At no time have I ever thought, man, without absorb heat this powerset is garbage lol. In fact, for years, I didn't even use it. Only after artifacts, and making a single target only loadout did I use it. I still don't use it on my straight tank build, because of the animation and chance that it won't cancel. I only use it on my ST dps (not canceling) and hybrid setup (canceling) for bounties and survivability dps.
    • Like x 3
  2. BumblingB I got better.

Yes, he said that, I was talking about the small sample size that the person who I was quoting said. Which leads to my whole post about context and sample size. You can mislead based on what you see. In the high end hardcore sweat meta, a new power wont make a difference unless it is way OP. I said nothing wrong nor contradictory.
    • Like x 1
  3. Leonite Well-Known Player

Well, it costs $$$ to switch powers, buy skill points, and then there's the need for a new set of artifacts and/or allies. So if a new powerset comes out, its not going to replace the main toon for a lot of people - which means less people using the new powerset.

In my situation, I have two toons - a troll and a tank. If the new powerset is a healer, I won't have a toon with the artifacts for a healer. If I create a new toon, I will have to rank its CR up plus skill points. It's just too much effort for a new powerset. If its turns out to be a troll or a tank, then its less of an effort but I would still have to wait for the 2X artifact XP bonus.

So in short, its not because new powerset is not any good or not interesting enough. Its just too much work to replace your main so it ends up being a lesser used powerset. I remember when a new DLC = new powerset, I would create new toon and level it up to prepare for the new powerset. Its a lot of work now when compared to creating a new toon from level 1 to CR 99 at that time.

Just my $0.02 on why I'm not as excited for a new powerset as I should be.
    • Like x 1
  4. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

I know, I was being facetious ;)

Wish you were still on discord :(
    • Like x 1
  5. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

So we are going to disagree about absorb heat … but I’m not gonna be here to advocate for that power to get fixed or nerfed… but when you say it’s like other heals I’m trying yo think of other heals that a channel continues to heal even after interrupted or canceled. The only one I can think of is guardians light on celestial and im fairly certain that power ceases to work after you’ve been interrupted and or cancel it, I’ll have to retest guardians light to see or maybe I’ll test all healer powe sets to see if they have any channel that the heal
    Continues to heal after cancelled, and it’s not just a small heal those heals can kick the door in if you’re knocking on deaths door and bring you back pretty quickly I get why fire tanks don’t want people discussing it.

I can’t think of any power on atomic ice or earth that does what absorb heat can do while mobile with no healer. I can’t speak for rage cause I’ve never played it.

But like I said by all means use the power I wouldn’t tell fire tanks not to it would be stupid not to.
    • Like x 2
  6. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Rage has a similar ability like Fire Absorb heat. It’s called Channeled Hate. Rage heals however are leech type of ability unlike Fire Asorb Heat.
    • Like x 1
  7. DuffleBagBoii Well-Known Player

But in all these years… why hasnt there been any additions to the iconic trees?
    • Like x 3
  8. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Is that a power that channel power that can be canceled and still get the benefits from it ? While moving on or kiting?

I just tested all the healing channels that I know of from the different healing powers not one of them act like absorb heat… once you cancel the animation the healing is over.
    • Like x 2
  9. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

You can move around while in animation using Channeled Hate. But if you cancel the animation you won’t get the damage but rage is different because the heals you get from that ability is based on the damage you do because it’s a leech ability. Fire heals are based on restoration. The two are similar but different in some aspects. In my experience Asborb Heat sometimes locks you in animation even if you try to cancel it. When that happens it doesn’t bother me because I have the hand mod that gives me immunity and defense increase.
    • Like x 1
  10. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

The point is fire is canceling the animation totally moving on to a different ability while still getting heals from the canceled ability.

So I’m trying to find the “absorb heat workssimilarly to other powers” part cause I don’t know of any other channel heal where the heal is still coming after canceled or interrupted.

So far it’s not working the same, and it’s not like absorb heat is an insignificant heal… it’s a great heal when you need an “oh **** heal”

I’m being told it’s not broken working as intended while also seeing that it isn’t working like every other channel out there from what I can see.
    • Like x 2
  11. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

You’re probably thinking too much on it. It’s similar to the others in regard to having it be a channel ability, that’s why it’s on the hand mod list. Also as I mentioned, it doesn’t always work. Sometimes you’re stuck in animation. Other players suggested not even needing asborb heat. Some might see it as fine others as broken.
    • Like x 1
  12. Plowed In Loyal Player

I think Charon had mentioned that in the past as a possibility.

They have branched off of iconic powers w/Artifacts: Heat Vision/Lasso/Word of Power
    • Like x 1
  13. Korlick Loyal Player

Thing is...its not like every other channeled heal power. Its a self heal only, the rest are group heals.
    I know i know...small detail. But...just saying...

Anyways...it has been talked and it has been reported as a bug multiple times since the last revamp (stats matter). And it was never adressed as a bug or as a broken power.
    I really dont remember if it worked like that pre-revamp, the damage wasnt that good and the heals were garbage (not to mention that, even having the defense mod, using a channeled power as a Fire Tank was a death sentence) but id bet that it was working like that too.

So...you can talk about all you want, just dont get angry or frustrated if it gets you nowhere.
    Even O.Chill finally resigned trying to get it "fixed". And made a video so that everyone knows about it (before that he avoid mention it in his Fire Guides, because he saw it as a bug/exploit).
    But who knows...maybe one day...
    • Like x 1
  14. Emoney Dedicated Player

jpharrah1010, you say you aren't trying to get it changed, yet you derailed this thread just to bring it up, since Mepps has revealed himself to be part of the conversation....interesting.

I never said it worked like any other channel power, I said the healing is comparable to other big healing moves, or shields that mitigate, or block, far more damage. It literally heals just as much as backdraft...because fire is a self healing tank. We need big healing moves. You fail to see how it acts like a heal over time power, and currently is useful for a tank build. If it doesn't cancel, the healing side becomes obsolete, since no tank will stay in a channel unable to block or counter. Then, as a DPS, the heals aren't worth it at all....no DPS is canceling the animation, they want the ST damage, the healing is very minimal. Only in a hybrid scenario would someone cancel and then use other powers to damage. Also remember, the target has to be burning for the heal to work, so that is a PI that isn't involved with other channel abilities. It's a unique power, and I'd hate to see it changed and then it becomes another unused power.

And yeah Korlick, all of us fire people know about Obsidians crusade, yet I've seen him use it too in game lol.
    • Like x 1
  15. Tros Well-Known Player

I'd like to thank you first for the response, it's great to see the devs paying attention to our questions and our voice.

In the next few times yes I will make an effort to do that, I didn't because I haven't been following the forum for a long time, but I decided to create the thread to somehow express a desire/dissatisfaction of a good number of players (almost everyone I talk to in-game share some part of that opinion)
    I can assure you that this is not a troll post.

For this answer I would like to quote our friend, TheLorax, with some comments from me of course:

What I see in this is that the amount of players that actually play more actively and longer is that they generally opt for the best power in their role.

Thanks to artifacts and allies, we can say that the game is more balanced, but the difference in damage between top dps and other powers, for example, in a raid plus that usually takes time, is brutal.

Of course there are several factors like surviving and etc. But let's see for example Rage range might, it's one of the worst damage in the game, very poor. I believe that "being balanced" should be able to create your build whether based on might or precision and perform your function well, not being so far behind as in some cases.

Whenever a power is very good, I see many players changing to the respective power and enjoying the moment, some do continue in the power they like, but feel the disadvantage of this, always being behind on the scoreboard or even not being able to complete certain missions or complete with great difficulty. An example of this would be SM 3 (if I'm not mistaken), which most became a water healer (because of the shields) and tank ice (because of the shields), I also remember superman's first Save the Universe, where in Power Core many tanks went to Atomic because of Mass Density.

I agree in parts.

When a power was released, if the power was good, many changed and took advantage of it. I know players who played tank rage for years and after the release of atomic, they switched to atomic and spent several years playing with it, because it was very good. Group shield, instant pull, damage reducing aura, a damage tank. He was very good until he was nerfed, today he is very deficient and few use him, in addition to the dps not being one of the tops, although in the right hands it can be good.

There are players who love atomic, I know some of them, but they don't play anymore because they are a poor tank.

Water, when released, was a disappointment for some, because despite bringing new and different mechanics, it wasn't as good as the ones that already existed. I know friends of mine who were very anxious and when the power came they were frustrated.

If the power isn't good, many won't play with it, because they want to be able to deal high damage, they want to do their support role well, they don't want to feel at a disadvantage.

For me it's up to the developers to make the powers more balanced, I'm not in favor of nerfing everyone and leaving everyone with low damage, but buffing those who are debilitated.

I've always been a fan of the lanterns, but the green lantern in this game is so underpowered that I can't even enjoy it.

I fully understand this agenda, that as a team you seek to act in the smartest and most efficient way and I do know that today artifacts/allies are used to increase the game and also balance powers (poison ivy for example gave a nice buff to nature).
    And I agree with that, but sometimes there's the feeling that it's still not what I expected, sometimes there's a feeling of a request that hasn't been answered yet.
    As much as there were positive updates, there are still some needs that have been neglected for a long time, and the feeling that remains is that the company does not care about us.
    Your answer here, being open to dialogue and talking with the players is indeed a positive point and I would like the company to be more open minded to remedy some requests that are made a lot but not answered. Because if players miss that, maybe many of the people who stopped playing maybe it was because they didn't find what they wanted in the game.
    I think the game should be updated with new powers, improve one more balance, fix pvp and create an air of newness in the game, of creativity.

Thank you, it was with this objective in mind that I created this thread, to both express my opinion as a player and other players who agree with me, as well as trying to draw your attention, the devs, to some details that maybe you are not paying as much attention to attention like that.

One last request Mepps: If possible, could you see the possibility of creating an accessory with power rings from lanterns on the left hand?
    • Like x 1
  16. Tros Well-Known Player

Thank you very much because that was very aggregating.

Some important points.
  17. Tros Well-Known Player

If you move after releasing the skill you can't interrupt it, but if you stand still and by block it is interrupted.
  18. Tros Well-Known Player

When a power is hitting well, or performing a function well, I don't want it to have a nerf on it to be bad like the others, I want the others to be good too.
  19. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

So you imagine reworking all the other powers in order to make them on par with one that's - allegedly - over-performing makes more sense than nerfing one power to get the same result? And if one of these newly buffed powers ends up being seen as OP - should then the same process happen again? Over and over? If you have a stray hair - do you trim it, or do you grow the rest of your hair to match it?

This whole thread is about how we think the devs should allocate their time, resources and effort to satisfy most players. And nerfing an "offending" power is obviously the more efficient way to achieve balance - by far.
  20. ManGraNor New Player

No need for a new powerset.
    • Improve the ones that already exist beyond just Artifacts since having to reach 200 to get its full potential makes switching playstyle "not realistic" with so many Arts/Allies to choose from. Including lackluster Superscharges where Neo Venom Boost is a better choice & either bring Precision/Superspeed Universe Online in line with the others or buff the others.
    • Get rid of stat increase from SP every Episode, increase it on items & let us invest into the other criticals instead for better distribution of stats if you want to play hybrid. Would rather invest in stats that I can max instead of max one & halfass the other forever.
    • Improve on iconics like you did with Robot Sidekick, however with actual design change that makes it feel like it belongs to your powerset. Use existing stuff like pets or design new ones instead of same robot with different powers, frost breath can be fire breath, heat vision into omega beam, neo venom boost having the color of your power/ giving you power aura for the buff duration. Powers would feel less stiched together.
    • If you want people to change powers, make it more appealing to. Bundle it for less cost with power & movement respec. As it is right now, there's a lot of cost than just the power itself when it comes to decision making. I hope I missunderstood because the Power Bundle on Steam that includes 8 powers doesn't even have one respec? only recommendation where to buy it.
    • When you rely that much on data, knowing why helps. Styles have definately improved, however depending on personality those style tend to clip through the charaters body or other styles which make them unappealing. Beard style locking you out of face style like "Fiery Eyes" or head styles removing your hair style completely when it could be visible. Ivy Leaves head style recent one I can remember. As long as these things keep happening they will just get a "thumbs up" and pass sadly.
    Hope this game gets enough resources to live up to its potential in the future.
    • Like x 2