Name Reclaim Event...when?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Valrasa, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Shadow Force Committed Player

Frankenstein is a public domain name it doesn't belong to DC so hence you being able to get it.
    • Like x 2
  2. Magician Dedicated Player

Maybe in the universe its public domain, but DC is proprietary and uses the name as a character. In the DCUO proprietary realm, it would make sense for it NOT to be available.

That being said, I got it :)
  3. bradleymsimmons Well-Known Player

Regardless, it's a GREAT name to have. Congrats!
  4. Magician Dedicated Player

Thanks I appreciate it! I just wish I liked Earth more to get into playing it more :(
  5. freekyjason New Player

Name reclaim events again huh?

I play quite a few MMO's and have done for many years. Nothing is more frustrating to me with MMO's than server merges. The game starts out with many, many seperate servers, then gets slowly whittled down to a couple or so. You come back after playing something else for a time and BAM, rename most of your toons.

I play one MMO that I logged into just this week for instance. I have played it since beta, and it has been out for quite a few years. Unfortunately for me I stopped playing it over the last 3 years and spent more time on DCUO and some singleplayer games. Upon login out of the 19 characters I have I had to rename 14 of them. Names I have had since day one. Now the bulk of my toons are named Freeky*somethingtodowithcharacterclass* I lost a lot of good names that personally I use across a lot of games.

After renaming and logging in I discovered a definite lack of interest in playing. I may get back into it full swing soon, but right now Im pretty over the fact that servers got merged and I had to rename MY toons which have been around since day 1.

Sometimes people cant be around all the time, or need a break, or some reason prevents their play or w/e. It can be a real kick in the pants to login and discover the character you built up and the backstory you made etc, all meaningless now cause its name went from something like "Batman" (to borrow rein's example :p) to QWERTY99999.

But I do understand that accounts go inactive forever. And that those names may never ever be available while those accounts sit there. But really can there be a fair way to decide? I dont think so. Someone will not get the "Batman" they desire and someone else will lose the "Batman" they had.
  6. SekretVillain Loyal Player

That's thing, that keeps popping up and people keep refusing to recognizing, is majority of the people if not all in this thread that want a rename to take place only care about getting names to sale in game later. That's not the purpose of the rename.
  7. Caroline Dedicated Player

This is my reply couple pages ago. I totally don't want names to sell them, I want to use them.
    • Like x 1
  8. SekretVillain Loyal Player

I think if they do a rename again then they need to tie a bunch of restrictions to getting 'new' names. Like that name is now account bound until the next rename or can only be changed after x amount of time and even being changed that name isnt up for grabs for x amount of time to prevent any kind of grabbing names and selling for in game cash.
    • Like x 1
  9. bradleymsimmons Well-Known Player

Sitting on names to sell them is trashy. Don't take a name unless you intend to use it!
    • Like x 1
  10. Brit Loyal Player

Five accounts in my household just re-subbed.

I don't care if there's a timetable of waiting. We've got a 10th Anniversary coming up in five months that might make an ideal time. Doesn't matter.

After all the things that Subscribers have lost during the past year, this is a bold move to show subscribers as being prioritized again.