Name Reclaim Event...when?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Valrasa, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

I think its relevant to your definition of "really cool names."
  2. SekretVillain Loyal Player

But dont you agree to the point if people put the effort in a little more they could have unique names vs names with L' for I's ect, sure they may not get 'marybeth' or whatever but that's how life is 1st come 1st get
  3. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Unique does not equal desirable, hence your confusion over this thread.
    • Like x 2
  4. SekretVillain Loyal Player

What's the difference? You mad someone else has xxxxxbatmanxxxxxxxx?
  5. Brit Loyal Player

Might I assume Everquest? I do still occasionally go log into my old EQ character from the 90s as well, just to feel nostalgic and remind myself how far we've come.

Crazy to think that DCUO is now also approaching that 10 year mark as well. Maybe some day we'll give a go at a DCUO Progression Server or something, the way you guys have so awesomely done for us old fogies on EQ.
    • Like x 1
  6. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

Its the difference between spending Friday night on a hot date versus alone with your cats.
    • Like x 1
  7. Napoleon Well-Known Player

It was strange. A few nights ago I signed onto an old toon and had someone immediately pming me (while in my base) offering hundreds of dollars for my toon's name. I would rather see something like what ICQ does, numbers. You have something similar to a phone number, a set amount of random digits where you can display whatever ever name you please. When someone wants to identify you, they better make sure they put you on their friend's list because the John across the Hall of Doom probably wasn't the John you were running through content with the night prior.
    • Like x 1
  8. Magician Dedicated Player

So for this response, it would have to be an inactive "account" and not player character. As in the past, there was ample notice to return to simply "log in" in order to keep the name. Also, the player who held the name the oldest would keep the name. So, when it comes to XBone, Switch, etc., they will have to fight against Day 1 players for names who are still active.

<-You're looking at one
    • Like x 1
  9. myandria Item Storage

Hmm....

That would be interesting! Question: how far back would you like to see this progression server go (Pre-episode 47 revamp for example)? I also log into EQ from time to time and check out the progression servers there. It's hard to believe that EQ is now 21 yrs old.
  10. bradleymsimmons Well-Known Player

It's true that a lot of good names are taken but below is the list of names I secured literally about a month ago. I had a try a bunch but I got these. I couldn't believe I got "Proton"! Like, really!? But I did! Just keep trying. Who knows if someone decided to dump a name they were sitting on for a while or not. Be persistent and try to come up with alternatives to the ones you want. I dumped War Droid and tried it again, but of course it was gone. But my point is, people let go of names so keep trying. Someone HAD to have dumped Proton. No way that's been sitting unclaimed for 10 years.

Exhume
    Grease Fire
    Jugular
    Proton
    Reef Tank
    Shape Of
    Time Horizon
    War Weapon
  11. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Do you not love your cats?
  12. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

What are the odds at getting names like Doomsday or clark kent.
  13. bradleymsimmons Well-Known Player

I would say, not at all. Could you even get those names? I would think they'd be blocked, since they are the names of main characters in the game. Personally, I don't understand making an exact copy of a character and pretending you're Superman in the game. To each his own though (I understand). I've always wanted to play my own creations, not someone else's. Sure, inspired by is fine but making a toon look exactly like Batman and then running around in-game with the name XxBatmanxX would never be appealing to me.
    • Like x 1
  14. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

True
    • Like x 1
  15. Apollonia Dedicated Player

He wasn't being serious.
  16. bradleymsimmons Well-Known Player

Yes I was, if you were talking about my response.
  17. SekretVillain Loyal Player

And this is what I was talking about. Desired names like these are a pipe-dream because they're blocked due they're iconic names not allowed by players, is same reason why when they give iconic styles it's a dollar store knock off compared to what we see in game.

You aren't going to superman, batman, WW, circe so give it up on getting those names and actually try to create something unique.
  18. Caroline Dedicated Player

I don't think people are literally thinking of grabbing those names, lol. They most likely want names like "Robert" or "Michael" etc. And btw, I had an iconic name - "Fire" that I sold long time ago.
    • Like x 1
  19. Eve YouTuber

I want the name "Sky" without dots for my main but for my surprise the player is a active player. So It's not always the case that they're not active anymore. But yeah, names that haven't logged on in 5 years or so should be purged for players to use.
    • Like x 2
  20. Magician Dedicated Player

To be fair, I got the name "Frankenstein" which is an iconic DC character. However, I don't care for Earth powers so I don't play him.
    • Like x 2