Mental balance

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Palus, Feb 18, 2013.

1. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I'm going to really like this change. Will simplify my rotation. MT/Menace -> PF -> PS Do the same but without menace then repeat. I'm a big fan of PS with it's higher damage upfront. On bosses PF ticks, but burning doesn't stack, so sometimes it's just not worth even using over PS, but it's second best in my standard hybrid loadout. If you can keep it dazed Pyrokenisis is quality but then you're killing the burning yourself if you use phantom flames.
    Personally I use staff so power is almost never a problem, maybe it might with the MT/Menace clips but I don't think it will.
  2. BrotherMutant New Player

So even though I am Might-based, do you think I should get a good Melee weapon for attacks? Was figuring on staying HBs to get the Power regen up, but that has some real LOW damage output. Need that power regen on the PUG teams i get for alerts, but given a good raid team, I can see not needing it as much.
  3. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Melee damage bonus is very nice. I find staff hits blue pretty fast, fast enough for me and I can clip the final attack for still a very solid damage output with weapon attacks. 1h flurry is right there too.
  4. Twisted Titan Committed Player

I'm currently using two-handed and testing out a few things in my mental DPS loadout. Just curious, what is the most efficient combo cycle for DPS? Obviously Menace will chance things but as of right now what is the best to go with?
    • Like x 1
  5. BadHansel New Player

Mental is good balanced, only problem is, that the telekinesis-tree is not very viable for Mental-Dps.

But I love mental at time. I ever loved mental, and never changed power, but at time it is quite fun.
  6. CTEN Well-Known Player

You can blow people's minds using tele tree for controller stance DPS, but not in Damage stance DPS.
    Most mentals I have seen can easily match the damage of a mediocre DPS and do 2/3 to 1/2 the damage for a good DPS while in troller stance.
    • Like x 2
  7. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

My guess on top rotation would be something like MT/Dazing Device/Menace -> weapon combo -> Pyro -> PS -> MT ->Pyro-> PS and repeat. You'd overlap with pyro but it's initial damage is still comprable with the alternative options and the DoT staying up will be a bonus. If you're using a longer combo maybe double PS on the second rotation, or maybe if long enough combos might even early MT/Menace.
  8. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

^^ This, Troller stance I feel is very powerful for mentals. I still like my terror tree but I do agree TK has potential when you can utilize everything it has to offer.
  9. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I agree as well. In the wake of being able to encase opponents then blowing them up, the damage it yields is massive. In solo and duo instances, actually Mental DPS can do this too, but you'll find that you'll lose more power than if you had gone Controller (unless you have a troller providing power and/or encasements for you).

Edit: Well then again, actually, you could bypass dominance requirements and save more power by bringing Doom Seeds along.
  10. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I use HBs for my Mental DPS. Don't be fooled by its ranged weapon status. It packs a lot of melee damage for a ranged weapon. Of course, you won't be doing as good as actual melee weapons when it crits, but then, it's still quite versatile as you will still be able to hit for a large amount on range using Charged Blast combos.

Pulse Beam really is just there for power regen but not for damage output, so it's naturally gonna net you low damage if you rely on it too much.

Using a melee weapon is not a bad idea either. Use whatever works for you what I say. That said, I'm actually Prec-based but you'll often find me using powers too.
  11. BrotherMutant New Player

Agreed whole-heartedly. I used to have a Mental troller villain that used Thought bubble and the psy res to pop both bubbs and i got some pretty decent AoE damage out of just those two powers. Sadly, everyone I team with complains about their weapons not damaging the target PLUS the balls roll everywhere when u attack them with a weapon. Really annoyed to see one of Telekinesis's best 1-2 combos get that annoying interaction. If the devs would just lose the rolling, I would still use it as I always try to pop the bub immediately.

I use a similar combo in dps, but since it only bubbs one guy then, I can use pyrokinesis to pop the bub for some serious damage to the guy in the bubb and those around him.
  12. Joybird Committed Player

I really like my mental controller. It's not terrible for dps, and the Menace change will really help. The main problem is that the Telekinesis tree is just broken. Its AoE PI has a huge cast time, and the other PIs are all over the place, so it basically ends up being useless. Mental has one good tree, which I guess is enough, but it doesn't allow for a heck of a lot of variety.
  13. Palus New Player

I love being a mental controller, i feel like im way more powerful in controller stance than i do in dps atleast when it comes to actually manipulating enemies. Dps obviously i can kill things faster. but its not huge step up from my troller stance.
  14. Clutch_GT New Player

Mental has and a still is viable as a dps class. The only thing I would like bumped up is the dot on phantom flames and mass terror. But keep in mind it doesn't need it but if the power set received those 2 bumps it would be overkill.
  15. DarkSyde79 Loyal Player

While many of the Mental DPS issues where solved during the revamp, there are several that still linger and bother me to no end.

Most notably the TK tree which is terribly under-powered due to the fact that one of it's hardest hitting moves and main way to spread it's PI also has a casting time, Mass Levitation.

I suggest that TK Push (Tier 2) and TK Shield (Tier 4) should switch places in the TK tree.

Along with this switch, 'TK Push' would have it's name changed to 'TK Wave' and would be a quick cast power that knock down multiple enemies and apply the dazed effect to them.

This simple fix balance Mental DPS far greater than and IMHO satisfy most Mental players to no end.
  16. BrotherMutant New Player

Make sure I understand what you mean here, are you saying that Pyrokinesis followed by Phantom Flames lessens the damage because they both burn? If so, I don't believe that is the case. BOTH burn yes, but if you use Pyro FIRST followed by PF they BOTH tick appropriately. Unless this has changed lately, but i did test this before. I hear (and think I tested it myself) the reverse order of Phantom Flames followed by Pyro causes the DoTs from PF to be negated by the Pyro's DoTs. Please correct me if this is not the case as I luv the 1-2 punch of those attacks.
  17. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I'm not mental right now but IIRC PF before the update was higher damage burning PI DOT. So taht Pyro -> PF would leave the Pyro DoT and use the higher Burning PI damage, while the reverse would override it. After the update PF's dot was reduced, Maybe i'm wrong but I was under the impression the burning PI Dot didn't stack.
  18. 13igtyme Devoted Player

The Burning PI doesn't stack and even if you keep enemies dazed your not really adding damage to pryo.
  19. Horrorshow New Player

The effects are awesome but the damage is a little lack luster.
  20. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

ohh? Was pretty sure the initial damage jumped from 24 avg to 34 avg just like PF.