Letter from the Creative Director: War of the Light Part II!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Spytle, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Spytle Executive Creative Director

Greetings from the DCUO Dev Team!

I am so excited, because I have the great privilege of sharing some details regarding War of the Light Part II with you. This DLC is the next chapter in the epic trilogy that focuses on the Green Lantern Corps and their arch rivals, the Sinestro Corps. Over the years in DCUO, we have added many other factions from the Green Lantern books, including the Red and Blue Lantern Corps. Now, in War of the Light Part II, the ranks swell even more with the addition of the Star Sapphires and Larfleeze’s Orange Lanterns.

[IMG]

The Story So Far

It all started with the launch of the game. Green Lanterns and Sinestro Corps agents first came to Earth when their rings began to fail. They began fighting with each other, assuming their arch rivals were responsible. Our first DLC, Fight for the Light, revealed that the true threat to the emotional spectrum is Brainiac, who has drained the emotional spectrum, turning all emotion into logic. The entities themselves were trapped in huge Logic Lanterns that Brainiac constructed to contain and transform them. The corps attack, and when these Logic Lanterns are destroyed, the corps think the entities are freed, and the victory is theirs.

But was this really the case?

[IMG]

A New Chapter Begins

Sinestro and Hal Jordan are some of the first fighters in the war to realize what has happened and, that if they do not work together, the Emotional Entities themselves will cease to exist and their light will die out…forever. The stakes are high, which is why the Star Sapphires and the Orange Lanterns enter the war. How will the leaders of each corps save their entity from oblivion? You will have to play to find out the answers for yourself.

[IMG]

New Content

War of the Light Part II contains a wide variety of content, including: 1 8-Player Operation, 1 4-player Operation, 1 4-player Alert, 1 2-player Duo, 1 single player Challenge Mode, and several open world missions in the expanded Metropolis Battlezone. The content will take you to never before seen locations in DCUO, fighting against new and exciting characters straight out of the pages of the comics. Travel to Zamaron and Qward. Do battle with Carol Ferris as she takes on the role of Star Sapphire to champion the forces of Love in the war. Join Larfleeze as he and his loyal sidekick Glomulus enter the fray as well. And that’s not even mentioning all of the iconic characters that have been taken over by the Amethyst and Citrine mists. It’s going to be a fun ride and we can’t wait for you to try out all of the new adventures.

[IMG]

New Gear

The rewards you will be fighting for are extremely cool. Not only do they offer you more powerful stats for your character, but the iconic styles associated with each set add exciting new options for customization in the game. Villains will be able to don gear inspired by Larfleeze, known as Agent Orange, covetous owner of the Orange Lantern of avarice. Heroes will be able to collect gear inspired by Saint Walker, the hope-filled leader of the Blue Lantern Corps. And we’re doing something else very interesting – Males and Females from both factions will have their own unique styles to collect. Females will be able to collect the Star Sapphire-inspired gear, and males will be able to earn and wear new gear inspired by the fearsome Manhunters, the original galactic peacekeepers created by the Guardians of the Universe.

And of course, new feats, collections, briefs, and other exciting features are included too. You guys are going to love this exciting new chapter in the War of the Light trilogy. Wait till you see where we go from here!

Jens “Spytle” Andersen
    Senior Creative Director
    DC Universe Online
    • Like x 30
  2. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

How much of these operations take place in Metropolis Battlezone?
    • Like x 4
  3. FaLeX Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  4. BigBabyGeezuz Dedicated Player

Great news Spytle! And kudos to whoever picked the well-endowed female character for the cover!
    • Like x 1
  5. Stitch Well-Known Player

So we will be able to purchase a Glomulus pet trinket, right Jens?
    • Like x 4
  6. Ultimate Emperor New Player

I Wish it contain New Raid and Alert
  7. ErnieB Loyal Player

did you not read?
    • Like x 13
  8. AlphaOrion Dedicated Player

LoL really?! Did you not read any of what was written? "Look at the pretty pictures Ma"
    • Like x 7
  9. Zephyrzaivian Active Player

Females get Star Sapphire gear? Thank you DCUO gods, you have heard my plea.
    • Like x 2
  10. ChuckLess New Player

This actually sounds really well rounded out content wise :D
    • Like x 2
  11. wulff420 New Player

awesome that looks great sounds pretty cool. but we dont get a new lantern power thats a healer apparently, thats a bummer i made a toon that was supposed to be a blue lantern version of my original who then got mad and the war of light came along and he was given a red ring and with a red ring he is dangerous and saint walker taught him inner peace and tranquility. thus became a blue lantern lol apparently thats not gonna happen so that possibly opens a character slot lol it almost should have been blue lantern heals and pink lantern heals brought in a female toon only gets the pink lantern and anybody gets the blue lantern healer but watevs its cool. a bummer tho woulda been nice to see more healers runnin around and in ques.
    • Like x 2
  12. nogimmick New Player

looking forward to this. i'm a lantern mark so this is good stuff. looking forward to part three, but after that...let's lay off, yeah? it's ran it's course, and that's coming from a fan.
  13. Livingston New Player

What's the point of having blue and pink lantern gear if can't get blue and pink lantern powersets?

And as another fan I would say there's not anywhere near enough lantern content, as we are lacking the powersets involved.

So I would agree to give it a rest if new lantern content isn't going to include lantern powersets, as it's just taunting us to see villains and heroes get emotional spectrum makeovers, but our characters can't...
    • Like x 4
  14. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Fantabulous!

Just finished watching the webcast and the environments look absolutely spectacular. With the addition of more classic DC characters and environments, content for all kinds of groups and a deepening mystery, this is shaping up to have a shot at the title of 'Best DLC Yet.'

Cannot wait! :D
    • Like x 2
  15. Black Jesus New Player

Wow.. what a bummer :I How are you gonna give us blue/saphirre armor, but not a powerset to go with it? I thought the reason you didn't give us blue lantern armor last year was because you were saving it for this. But nah, healers don't matter, they don't get lantern powers. What a major bummer :I Honestly I'd take a lantern power over atomic any day.
    • Like x 2
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I'd say it was a sufficiently grotesque distortion of an actual human body as to be unrecognizable as an actual human woman's body, but everyone gets to have an aesthetic opinion. It's definitely not what actual women and their anatomy look like, though.
    • Like x 5
  17. XenoZombie Level 30

I already hated faction specific styles as a style *****, and now theres even more styles i cant get. Stop doing this, it isnt a good idea, its annoying and unfair. Kyle has been a star sapphire, base male ones off of his. And manhunters are genderless, why cant females be them? sigh :/
    • Like x 2
  18. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Loving how the DLC is covering all bases with at least 1 of each mission type. That's the way to go from here on out, as it allows for difficulty and a greater challenge to exist in the raid end content, while leaving plenty of small group/solo options (dailies) for other players who can't manage raids. Meanwhile, it's all contained in one DLC, making it much more bang for the buck, complimenting futher DLCs if they repeat the pattern. This allows all ranges of content within a single tier to 'fill out' evenly, but also sets a better precedent for scaling from DLC to DLC (no more DLC skipping would be awesome).

Just watch it on the generic thousand mile long HP values, because that does push people away. If you're going to add them, keep it at the raid level, not the 4 mans or else we'll continue to see role kicking/favoritism, among other horrible exploits and negative gaming behaviors. Also, ahead of time, before this thing releases make sure you are enforcing anti-content-skipping measures to ensure a base experience for all players.
  19. Buckley Loyal Player

20. Nirvana 93 Well-Known Player

Thank you I was thinking the same.
    • Like x 2