Ice And Light Advice?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Elijah Seed, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

I have an Ice alt and a Light alt. They are both superpower users (not weapons) and are pathetic in group content. My Light alt is also pathetic in solo open world content usually needing 3-8 times the amount of time to complete a single daily compared to my main. I have never given any grits about either of these characters since they are only bank toons that are used exclusively for storage.

But with the end of Save The Universe I would like to at least have them be able to do those solos to get the mats needed for the gloves. My Ice alt is fine with LSK but struggles in LCT. This alt usually dies once or twice before finally completing the instance. My Light alt has never been able to finish LSK and ALWAYS dies on the opening trash in LCT. Both are right around CR368-ish - the ICE alt has 260(?) SP and the Light alt only 122(?) SP.....I think.

Anyways, I think I would like to change this about them. I think I would like to actually make some kind of effort to make them better at participating in group content instead of ALWAYS being carried. Toward that end I am curious to hear from other Ice and Light players (preferably ones that are not carries and actually contribute in group content.)

1) What abilities do you use for each? Please specify Ice or Light.
    2) What rotation do you usually follow with these abilities?
    3) Do you bother with Generator mods in your Base? If so, which ones?
    4) Which equipment mods do you slot into your gear?

If you don't feel like answering that's fine. I do not expect to play these characters with any regularity since, well....they ARE alts. But I do feel bad when I join a group and the healer does more damage than I do. I just think that is wrong and would like to at least out DPS a healer.

Thank you in advance for your response.
  2. iEddyGaming Active Player

I can help with Hardlight since it has always been my favourite. :D And My main was HL until last week (378CR/655SP/200Arts) but my villain alt who I only use to farm marks and event items is also HL (370CR/101SP/80-100arts).

Hardlight:
    Artifacts: Transformation Card | Strategist Card | Quislet / Grim / EOG
    Augments: Might
    Base Mods: Might / Power
    Gear Mods: Blast Adaptor, Supercharged Neo venom, Escalating Might, Berserker, Penetrating Strike, Max Damage

ST Loadout: Handclap | Grasping Hand | Light Blast | Heat Vision | Robot Sidekick | Neo-Venom SC
    Rotation:
    ST: Handclap Power > 3 x tap range > Clip 3rd Handclap with Grasping Hand power > Hold Melee > Clip that with Light Blast Power > Hold Range to go into minigun > Hold for 2 seconds > Tap Melee to go into Whiplash > Clip that with Heat Vision > Jump Cancel > Repeat from beginning
    AOE Loadout: Light Weight Strike | Light Blast | Mini Gun | Whiplash | Robot Sidekick | Neo-Venom SC (This is a mid-range loadout)
    Rotation: Light Weight Strike > Light Blast Power > Tick for 2 seconds then Hold Range > Tick for 2 seconds then Tap Melee into Whiplash > Clip that Whiplash into Whiplash Power > Tap Melee for 3rd Whiplash but clip that with Light Blast Power > Repeat from beginning

If you would like a visual guide, here is my guide:

Ice:
    I literally uploaded Ice guide yesterday but please note powers like Ice, Sorcery, Quantum etc. They do not do that good with low SP / Artifacts, sadly. But this might help:

Goodluck ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

Thank you for these.

One quick question - how do I have both a Single Target loadout and an Area of Effect loadout or is this a "whatever floats my boat" choice (if I prefer ST choose that one - AoE, choose that one?)

I imagine that these are straight up Damage loadouts, yes? I have never been a Controller - I tried it for a short time when CR cap was around 106 or so and did not like it at all. I could never tell if I was doing anything beneficial and was usually told that I wasn't. So, I just stuck with Damage where I could actually see if I was doing any.

I look forward to reviewing your videos. Thank you again.
  4. iEddyGaming Active Player

ST = Single Target for bosses. AOE for Adds/Multiple Bosses
    So, depending on the situation, you can change your loadout accordingly. You will definitely need 2 armories, one for each spec. One for ST and one for AOE to quickly change between both specs.

Yes, these are straight Damage loadouts, so you will need full damage gear and skill point allocation in Might/Power, Critical Damage etc. If you are interested in controlling (my personal favourite role btw). You can check this video:

• Like x 1
  5. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

Oh. Okay. I guess I will have to choose one or the other then. Unless Daybreak is going to give me a second armory I will never have more than just the one since I quit spending money on DCUO years ago other than the occasional membership. And the DB Cash I get from that disappears toward Replays or other necessities almost immediately.

I haven't had the chance to do anything with your advice yet. I hope to get to it sometime over this coming weekend.

Thank you again for the information.
  6. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Hello!

Difficult to say regarding your Light character as your SP is quite low. Fortunately Light is one of the better performing Might powers as shown in iEddy's video (above) on both single target and AOE damage. The only downside is the combos that can be easily interrupted in a solo, and along with low gear/arts/SP that can be an issue. Be sure as well to have Orbital Strike/Soder/Supply Drop handy.

For Ice Might DPS, in the most optimal situations it is one of the strongest might powers in the game currently, but relies heavily on Supercharge usage.

I recently done a guide for Ice Might DPS as well, which differs a lot from other Ice Might guides recently as it focuses more on the supercharge aspects. This is more aimed for endgame.

Try to make sure you have Transformation Card and Scrap of the Soul Cloak levelled to at least rank 80. You can also consider Eye of Gemini, but that is more for group situations and if you are just needing the solo content, then also consider Solar Amplifier (rank 80) for extra burn when using Heat Vision.

(Quislet is worth considering as well but not essential for solos)

Save your Ice Elemental supercharge for boss fights in those solos if possible, and be sure to have Tumbling Master as your foot mod so you can kite Steve Trevor/Hive Master's laser due to your lower movement speed while in Ice Elemental. If you have the SC spare consider running Speed Drain or Blizzard (for a solo maybe lean towards Speed Drain as it is a lower SC cost) to use while in Ice Elemental. If not then just prioritise your SC for Ice Elemental.

For rotation, I run Heat Vision - Glacier Flash - Avalanche. A reasonable ST rotation for Ice and Avalanche will also perform well on the adds in the hallways for those STU solos. Have Robot Sidekick out and use in both your main DPS rotation and Ice Elemental loadout so you don't lose it when transforming.

I personally wouldn't recommend Neo Venom Boost as it doesn't stack that well with Ice Elemental - Speed Drain will be stronger. Ice Elemental gives you a 60% damage buff for 21 seconds vs. Neo-Venom Boost's 40% damage buff for 15 seconds. It's unlikely (and not worth it) that you will use both of these in a solo, so use Ice Elemental. The more damage you do the more successful you will be in the solo.

Make sure you have might generator mods, and they are the most up to date ie. 43.1-43.4.

Base mods:

Weapon: Blast Adapter
    Head: Supercharged Ice Elemental (for Ice)
    Neck: Escalating Might
    Back: Berserker
    Chest: Penetrating Strikes
    Hands: Max Damage
    Feet: Tumbling Master

Hope this helps! (Sorry not personally that experienced with Light.)
    • Like x 1
  7. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

I look forward to reviewing your advice as well. As of right now this weekend is not looking as good as I thought it might so I think it will be even longer before I chance to delve into these. I expect that I will have to set aside a consider amount of time to implement and absorb the information provided so I need to look for when I can devote such time.

I do appreciate both of you taking a moment to help me out. I hope it improves my performance in group content with these alts.

Thank you again!

P.S. Oh yeah. My Light alt finally completed the normal version of LSK this morning using my current setup. It was brutal and time consuming but I got that Grain of Time.