I love DCUO so can you remove the stat clamp already?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by llllDeathstroke, Aug 21, 2022.

1. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Further proving that you can’t speak like an adult.
    • Like x 3
  2. The Con Dedicated Player

Or...
    Further proving that you're a deluded hat who looks at other people being tired of talking in circles with hats like you as proof of anything.

I'm gonna go with this.

EDIT:
    I really do love the way that you define someone calling you out on your BS as "not speaking as an adult".
    • Like x 1
  3. Grim931 Committed Player

Artifacts are a little obscure, I'll give you that. This is an Alt though, so kind of my test dummy/"for fun" build. My main is using Trans/Strat/Solar Amp. It is insanely boring.

They do seem to work well together though, and I'm able to tank and provide additional damage/support. Actually puts out pretty decent heals, and the artifacts deal additional damage based on precision/resto. So that's the reasoning behind speccing that way. Figured I'd get enough dominance from gear, and health isn't that necessary when I'm healing as much as I am, while also being shielded most of the time thanks to the Clarion activating and my redirected rage ability.

If we had a team that was working well together, it would've ran much more smoothly, I have no doubt about it. The instance should've been over by the time I queued into it. Normally, when I queue into something like that, I pretty much back out immediately. It's a huge red flag, running into an alert that is already sitting close to 30 minute run time is not normal.

You are correct though, had everything worked out it would not have been bad at all. The last boss melted once we finally got that 4th person in the room. The issue I have is that I'm running into an abnormal amount of these instances, and I know full well that the clamp is the sole reason these are getting hung up. I understand mechanics make these runs faster, but in a lot of them they aren't explained very well. I knew this one at one point, but nothing indicated what to do to even remind me of it. No text prompt or anything. Could've been useful, especially if we're going to be so reliant on them for a smooth experience. The dead weight didn't help at all either, obviously.

So yes, from my deduction and personal experiences so far, the clamp is a hindrance. Essentially a nuisance at best. Like attaching a few bucks at the end of a treadmill right beside a race track that was finished a long time ago. There's just nothing in it for me except a headache, there's no fun or joy in it. I still would not recommend this experience to anyone.

If it's fun for you, by all means have at it. I just can't find any reason to like it. There's nothing there. I liked how it was before, I had more fun with friends and could do more on my own. There weren't very many things I couldn't complete, and this never would've happened pre-clamp.
    • Like x 9
  4. The Con Dedicated Player

^THIS

And funny how none of this has to be "measured" or "defined"... nothing to really debate. Just an honest opinion.

And certainly nothing worth 3 hats to argue against for 70+ pages.... but, here we are.

Can't wait til we're at 80.
    • Like x 2
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

What’s funny is that you started using the word hat after the other argument of a** hole vs a** hat. That’s a little sad of you.

Regarding the “none of that has to be measured or defined”. He doesn’t like the clamp. Some do like the clamp. Using the we don’t like it is a pointless argument for making changes since there will always be different opinions on this subject. Also no one is arguing whether someone has to like or dislike the clamp of whether they are entitled to feel that way.

The root discussion is about the clamp and what should be done about it anything. Yes it is going to take longer with the clamp than if the clamp wasn’t there. It’s literally common sense that the clamp makes things take longer. No one is denying that. However there are variables that can be discussed (if you have a brain which I’m starting to think you don’t), and should be discussed.

Progression is something that should be allowed. Some claim that the clamp removes progression. This is a variable that can be measured pretty easily. If any content is statistically more difficult than when said content was at EG than said content is an outliner which should receive a targeted adjustment.

Are some feats too difficult to do even with said progression? If a feat is based around mechanics that are getting ignored than why should said feat be made easier if following mechanics makes it easier? If it is still to hard even when following mechanics than it comes down to 2 points. Are the player attempting the feat geared properly or have rainbow builds? If they have rainbow builds than why should said feat be made easier? If said players are realistically geared properly)within reason) than yes said feat should receive a targeted adjustment.

Feelings can not be used as a measuring stick for a very simple (and obvious) reason. The placebo effect is a real thing and players views can be altered based on their biased opinions. If a piece of content can be proved to be statically easier than when it was at EG and can be shown to continue to get easier each dlc with progression while someone comes out saying it’s harder than when it was at EG, who should the devs believe? The person that had actual proof or the player that is making claims based on feelings?
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah I understand, thanks I think you'll get even stronger when your artifacts are at 200 and have a few more skill points and I absolutely appreciate a build slightly outside of the norm and congratulate you for the undertaking, if it works it works and that's really cool :)

The clarion is actually an amazing artifact when it comes to battle building characters because of its shielding and healing, I think its true potential of course shines at 200, but it is definitely a solid artifact, especially to if you're substituting for the lack of a healer.

Realistically I think is where we slightly deviate in opinion, I don't see the clamp to blame in those scenarios but rather than players and the lack of compliance. I accept your point that the clamp would allow you to simply "ignore mechanical compliance" and therefore avoid the subsequent frustration of players creating a hindrance, but I'd also assert that ultimately that doesn't help. The lack of experience of the mechanics, or in your case you'd just forgotten, which I don't blame you for, is the cause of the frustration because this is what makes the clamp even remotely noticeable, because when complying with the mechanics the instance would have been over with far more rapid ease.

This brings me to the part I do 100% agree with you on and has been incorporated in a few of my feedback points, the choreographing and player mechanic messaging in old content is dead awful, it was created in a time where that type of thing was clearly not a priority, I think in an ideal world the developers will go back and work on this stuff and I truly hope they do. The messaging is important because just allowing players to "figure it out" despite the fact I believe most reasonable would eventually, can have the potential to make for a negative experience.

I've openly admitted in the past that I've seen the "fun" and experienced the fun in both scenarios of this game, clamped and unclamped. Parts of me enjoyed the 'hulk smash' other parts of me enjoy the reinvigorated challenge associated with the clamp.

However, regardless of any perceived subjective fun, I think the clamp is better for the functionality of the game itself, it was progressively just becoming more and more broken and the extent of our power had and was continuing to escalate and get out of control, it would have eventually collapsed the entire early game and this was already evidence in instances breaking, including the extent to which the content was being trivialized.

When I was anti-clamp (having changed my mind) A big concern on my part was feats, there are numerous people who do go back and get feats later for all sorts of reasons and I have no absolutely no issue with any reason for doing so, but it was always realistically a question of "how easy should they ever become", under the previous unclamped scenario there was virtually no limit as to how easy they would become, we became even so powerful of course our own power at times was entirely detrimental to trying to obtain the feats, a few wrongfully timed or placed basic rifle grenades would result in the boss dying and the feat failing.

That even in and of itself shows, something had to be done about that aspect alone. Ultimately stat clamping was inevitable, the developers held it off as long as possible I feel, because that's what the community wanted at the time, but it really did ultimately get to a point where what the community wanted was no longer sensible for the integrity of the game and changes were needed to make game both functional and appealing to as many players as possible, hence the clamp (this by no means represents an exhaustive outline of why the clamp was applied, it's merely an insight in to this particular element of it).
    • Like x 1
  7. The Con Dedicated Player

Or.... Some might see it as funny. It's sad that you like to speak for everyone.

The clamp DOES remove progression.

Already been discussed.

THAT is not progression.

That is accepting a handicap.

Of course feelings can be used...
    What good are measurements if you're not having fun? Or if you don't like the game any more because of the clamp?
    • Like x 3
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Actually, no, Grim is making an effort to measure their feelings, because even though I raised further questions Grim did attribute "time" as the measurement, that time has been further clarified broken down, but time was always the measurement.

He/she (sorry not assuming your gender Grim, lol) wasn't just using "feelings" plucked out of thin air and it lead to a meaningful discussion point.

So I think credit is due there to Grim,

You could learn something from that I feel.
  9. VIRALITY Dedicated Player

[IMG]
  10. The Con Dedicated Player

*sigh*

You really do just read what you want to read.... and don't comprehend what is actually being said.

AT NO POINT IS "I just can't find any reason to like it. There's nothing there. I liked how it was before, I had more fun with friends and could do more on my own" A MEASURMENT OF "TIME". :rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

No Grim's overarching discussion was about the alert they ran, how long it took (spoiler - "time") which ultimately lead to a meaningful discussion.

If anyone could actually do themselves a favor by reading the content of this thread it would be you, although I suspect you're not here to actually engage constructively, you're just here to derail the conversation at this point with your ongoing posts of nonconstructive nonsense.
  12. The Con Dedicated Player

Yeah.... But, I didn't quote him from that earlier discussion...

I quoted him from later... after that discussion.... when he still said that he didn't like the clamp and why he didn't like the clamp....

Funny thing... HE NEVER MEANTIONED "TIME".

I'm just referring to that post. Not this "revelation" of which you speak ... one that didn't really change his opinion, apparently.
    • Like x 1
  13. Trexlight Devoted Player

Ah I see the F word is being thrown around again. Its subjective at best and always serves to help opinions, but not facts. Back in my day I ran raids for 4 hours and wiping over and over and over and over and over but beating it was fun, at least to myself and the players I was with. Now if a Raid gets 1 wipe or goes longer than 20 mins, people start leaving, name calling. Its pretty disgusting.

Its been mentioned folks wont suggest the game to others because of this clamp. I get that and as a former content creator who did promote the game, I too had to put warnings. But it was always 50% the game due to design choices and 50% the community because Its just not together. Folks would have a better time playing something else with more cohesiveness amongst its player base. Devs arent innocent too as the Artifacts have gotten better but issues still greatly remain and of course time capsules and MP.

I also saw something about Progression. The Clamp has improved Progression. Well, whatever Progression we currently have. Devs want Players at End Game. Theyve been very vocal on that and this gets Players there and in good speed. The Clamp helps new players by giving them the ability to actually participate in fights. End Game players can play it to actually get rewards and currency where they didnt get before. Progression in this game is....well its just Tiers going to the next Tier. Hell even in Current End Game Episodes when they launch, there is no Progression. You get a sense of it if the Raids are "hard" then its get geared up in the current Episode but again, if the Raid wipes, people leave, name calling, and you wait more for the raid to get refilled vs even completing it.

The Clamp design is 50% of the problem as some outliers do/may exist. The other 50% is the community needing to be better with one another. Now I know Ive been my share of a-hole as well on good or bad days. But I always try my best to help groups and players in content at the end of the day.
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

so you admit you haven't read all the necessary posts required to allow you to provde an informed comment, excellent, noted ;)
  15. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

3 posts away from page 75 and still yet to see a single cohesive argument against the clamp...
  16. The Con Dedicated Player

I'll give it to you that you seem to be being sarcastic....

But.. You are you.... so, there is a chance that you are being serious.

Juuuuust in case you're being serious...

I'll point out that just because I quote Stephen King's Fairy Tale.... doesn't mean that I didn't read The Stand... or Carrie... or Chrisine... or Desperation... ... ...
    • Like x 1
  17. The Con Dedicated Player

There is truth to that... Those were some good times....

But, I will point out that, at that time, we were "us" as we set ourselves up to be... To have our characters stripped of our progression and then "struggle" with those same raids is a horse of a different color.

Also... That's kinda the point.

WE SPENT OUR TIME STRUGGLING THROUGH THOSE RAIDS TO IMPROVE OUR CHARACTER SO WE NO LONGER HAVE TO STRUGGLE THROUGH THOSE RAIDS.
    • Like x 2
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Again, just because you are incapable of measuring the progression does not mean that progression is removed. This is something that can easily be measured and tracked.

How is it accepting a handicap when I specifically stated it would need a targeted adjustment. That’s literally the opposite of accepting it…

Again, feelings can not be used to MEASURE for the reasons I already explained.
  19. The Con Dedicated Player

YOU WILL BE ACCEPTING IT AFTER THE ADJUSTMENT... THE FACT THAT IT IS AN ADJUSTMENT IS A HANDICAP.

Once again:

What level were you 10 years ago doing Central City?

What level are you now?

What level are you going back into Central City?

10 years of progress is being removed.
    • Like x 1
  20. GermanM Committed Player

That is a problem with the power creep, but you also must thing in the "logic" of this game universe.
    Do you think is realistic go to, for example, Oan Science Cells (tier 1 alert) and one shoot Krona or kill him in less then one rotation?
    Because that is will happen if stat clamp is removed, would be like Dragon Ball Z, you will become a god that can kill everything. Sure you think that is fine, but the fun will loose in the long run. besides you can reach maximun cr in less then one week if you are a new player, so...

I also believe that without stat clamp people will no be interested in learn some mechanic´s because would be pointless, they will be so powerfull at the point of erase all bosses in EEG with just a few attacks and and that´s not the point of the game, i think.

(Besides if they remove the clamp, artifact´s and ally´s will loose a lot of their value at least in EEG, they will be still relevant in end game but i don´t see dev´s removing stat clamp because they want us leveling up those puppies and use then in all instances)
    • Like x 2