I don't like booster bundles but they released another one

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TalosStark, Nov 18, 2021.

1. TalosStark Level 30

Yeeah very cute that the community manager decided to troll us who see this as whale bait. Whatever. The bottom line will either speak for the effort or it won't but I'll never know. What I will know is what I decided to spend on it and unfortunately it's nothing. Another disappointment. Obviously the game needs to make money but Booster Bundles are usually the worst on those trying to spend it efficiently.
    • Like x 1
  2. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

Personally, I find it super concerning that the community manager removed all the negative comments from that post and moved them here. Now that thread about the booster bundle looks like a circle (ya know), I've never seen another game's forum where something like this was done. Do they usually silence or exile comments this way?

Very bizarre.
    • Like x 1
  3. Harlequin Devoted Player

We usually get banned instead.
    • Like x 4
  4. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Some don't while others do, which is why they still release them, the others that like it, they receive revenue from and the others that don't like it, have the option to not buy it but can use the broker as an option. It's a win/win
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You just said why. Even if the Cosmic was a 1 in 5 chance of dropping (it's not) that means if 1000 people want to get it, that's 5000 boosters sold vs 1000 10$ direct sales. Now YOU might not buy 5 BBs to get it, but someone will, then sell them on the broker.

Now...if you wanted to make the direct sale items for $50 or $70 bucks, maybe it would work out...but how many would buy a single cosmetic for $70 bucks? Personally I'd say none...but as people will buy 7, 10 or 20 BBs to get one, obviously some would spend that....the gambling aspect just makes it that you MIGHT score it in 1.

Quarks? I'd guess that would also cut down on the BB sales as some people would hold out the year (or 2) till they showed up.
    • Like x 1
  6. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

Do people really like gambling their money away on these predatory systems or do they only do it out of the sheer need of having those new shiny items?
  7. Harlequin Devoted Player

Yes.
    • Like x 1
  8. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

Lmfao
  9. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

Well am I pleasantly surprised... /S
  10. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Both, people like the shiny stuff and people just want something to buy and winning since the items from the booster bundle are quite appealing.
  11. Jafin 10000 Post Club

The way I look at it, and I speak only for myself, is that yes, of course I want the shiny new thing, but if I don't get it I still have all the other stuff that comes with the BB. Replay Badges? I'll use them. Nth Metal, Nth Metal Detector and Ally Favor? I'll use them. The only things in the bundle I don't really use are the Radar Detector, and more than likely the Proto Repair Bot. I also limit myself to how many I will buy, which is usually five BBs. Most of the DBC I'll use to buy those five will have come from my 500 DBC monthly grants from my sub anyway, so in the end I generally don't end up spending too much money specifically for BBs. I mean let's face it, the MP is severely underutilised so it's not like I have much else to spend my DBC on anyway once I have all my artifacts/allies at the place I want them to be.

Like I said, that's just me though. I spoke to a friend in game last night that said he bought 50 BBs trying to get the Nebula Chroma during the last BB and didn't even get it. That was a yikes to me. People can spend their money however they wish, I just hope that for most of them that it is genuine disposable income and not money they really need for something else.
    • Like x 3
  12. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

Fair enough, my problem is that things like booster bundles and time capsules, their intended target are very vulnerable people, like your friend. I just don't like seeing people being taken advantage of, they might say it's disposable income but in most cases it isn't.
    • Like x 2
  13. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

What's not disposable to you doesn't mean the same applies to them, get it?
  14. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

That wasn't my point, get it?
  15. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

Yeah I just noticed that ......
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I think it's like how some people do Ebay. You can go in and bid $50 on an item that's at $10 currently....and it will move up and you win or lose in the end. But the 'thrill of the hunt' in posting $10.50...then if outbid, going up another few bucks a few times till in the end you are in the last few minutes putting in that $50.58 to grab it up...well it's not 'gambling' as much, but yeah...there is a similar aspect.

I'm sure there are some who will budget for 4 or 5 boosters...open them, get nothing and move along, but I'd guess most will open those 4 or 5 then open that 'just one more' for another 4 or 5...or 10 in the hopes of getting one.

Generally I open 1 or 2 at most, mainly because that's all I have in my loyalty points at the time and I do get the replays which I'd eventually buy anyway. I don't spend cash on BB, but opt to get whatever I'm going to get via the broker if my 1 or 2 boxes come up empty. Honestly I'm so over the cosmetics in this game and they are pretty much are looking the same to me anymore, I find it hard to care.
    • Like x 2
  17. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

I hear ya.
  18. Random Mind Dedicated Player

Booster Bundles showcase why I both love and hate this game.

I love the materials and auras that the artists for this game create and I hate the DCUO money-grabbers who decide how best to rob their players. i would also buy the Shaded Comic Material from the Marketplace like many other players, but I also wish they would just release more materials in general on the Marketplace, some of my most used materials are from the Champion and Royal Material Bundle because all my toons can use them. Unfortunately DCUO is addicted to paywalling and has no issues with lootboxes and taking money from people who suffer from the dreaded "Just one more" syndrome.

I would say the Shaded Comic Material should be a members login reward, but I know it is too good of a material to be given away, but if they can make these kind of items for Booster Bundles, they could at least put more effort into the Login rewards. I think members like myself should be given more appreciation then they are presently.

Maybe I wouldn't be as unhappy with the monetization of this game if it felt like it was improving anything. What is the money going to? The game regularly crashes, bugs don't get fixed, graphics won't be improved, new powers aren't being developed, villain storylines aren't being created anymore, and other things. It seems like the only thing they are interested in creating is more ways to get more money from the players.
    • Like x 1
  19. DirtyZerg New Player

gambling in a game aimed at 13 yr olds should be illegal

the greed is incredible, they would make a good amount off just selling them in the MP but would rather force gambling onto the handful of whales instead of regular people just buying it for 10$. The funny part is the amount of people who won't buy a loot box for 9$ at all because of the RNG.

Meanwhile neglect entire aspects of the game like PVP for the past 6 yrs or Superman/Lex not being able to walk down a hallway in Power Core since launch..yet people still eat everything they do up, it is pathetic and just rinse and repeat with this company, pump out episdoes and "limited time" loot boxes while not fixing anything. Even worse now that Sony money isn't backing them, them taking 10+ yrs to address the atrocious F2p/Premium model too..its all a mess and caused more loss of players than anything.
    • Like x 3
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

When I was 13 I didn't have money, my parents did. Times sure have changed. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 3