how many skills points are recomended to have to a tank ?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Batman2099earthcold, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Batman2099earthcold Committed Player

i have just mere curiocity how many sp are recomended to have to be a good tank ?
    • Like x 1
  2. nawanda Loyal Player

Depends on the skill level of the player and other variables such as artifacts and augments, but I’d say 300-350+ for tanking elite, and maybe 200-250 for normal.
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

Define good? I mean how long is a piece of string? What sort of content are you running? What power are you? Some powers are easier than others

What nawanda said above is probably a rough good guideline, although I'd say in normal content you could be way lower, I've tanked normal content easily enough before with 30-70sp of varying powers.
    • Like x 2
  4. Barry Allen Well-Known Player

Never is enough SP
    • Like x 7
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Pretty much what proxy said. That’s a bit hard to answer. I’ve tanked both raids on my newly leveled earth toon who has no artifacts and low skill points while also using the few skill points given to unlock a cross weapon combo. Between both raids I only died once in DMr when the dps released all bosses at the same time without telling myself or the healer know he was doing that so caught of guard.

Ideally the more the better. Some powers require more than others. But if you learn your power you can run with virtually anything and be fine (but harder lol)
  6. Awsome Well-Known Player

The rule has always been to keep your SP close to your CR. So if you are at 290 CR you should be somewhere between 280-300 SP.

HOWEVER, since artifacts have been introduced, you can get away with much lower SP. As long as your Artifacts are 80+ you can run most content regardless of your SP.

But, like Barry Allen said, you can never have enough.
    • Like x 2
  7. fm0987 Committed Player

I have 300 or so and my main is earth, brick tanking I still feel squishy at times. I don’t have tank arts yet as I’ve been working on the dps side of things, maybe that’s why? Usually when a ton of adds pile on top of boss is when I (or brick) wipe. Am I supposed to be “kiting” when this happens?
  8. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I know this wasn't the point of your statement but why? All you need is a lunge
    • Like x 1
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Are you using chronos and or stuns and knockdowns to CC them? Are you communicating with the trolls in your groups to figure out how add CCing is gonna work? You also may want to consider keeping feet mod capsules in your inventory and utilizing explosive block for add heavy scenarios. I'd normally never advocate for explosive block over tumbling master but if add mobs are what's what's killing you, it might be worth a try.
  10. fm0987 Committed Player

Consumables? No, I’m ftp (premium) so idk if I could even craft them. I do have mainframe tho or whatever it’s called (turf I believe?). As for trinkets I use orbital, supply, accomplice, health trinket.
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Obviously the more the better as long as they get used right. The "old school" standard was your SP should be at least as high as you CR. Keep in mind I said AT LEAST since at present about the highest anyone can get their combat rating up to is CR 290+ and we have enough feats now to have over 400 SP.

Big thing to keep in mind these days is your artifacts and augments... Hey I have a DPS at combat rating 285 that only has 264 SP but my artifacts are all above 160 and my augments are at 255. More often than not I wind up with the high score in damage out on the score board even with team mates at CR 290. And I am not a score board chaser I do silly things like stop to rez a team mate that died and click on objectives. In other words I don't just stand there and fire away while the entire team dies around me.
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

For different reasons. When I’m battle tanking I’ll use either doomspin (non mastery) or brawling

When I’m straight tanking I enjoy using hb. I think the name of the combo is called ground pound which does a double knock up. Do I use it often no. But is it nice to have from time to time when adds jumped to me and I’m stuck yes lol
  13. Trexlight Devoted Player

It depends on the Power of the Tank and also if you want to reach the Soft Cap or the Hard Cap.

The Soft cap is getting the bare minimum in Stats meaning only putting 100 Skill Points into your first/Main Stat. Thats roughly 175 Skill Points needed for that. The Hard Cap would be maxing the Main Stat which would be roughly 375 Skill Points. This is not including possibly splitting Stats which should only be done when you have the minimum 100 SPs into your Main stat. As an example like Fire, You put 100 SPs into Health, then start putting points in Resto.

For the most part every Tank will focus on one important Stat and Max that out like Health or Dom. Resto is good to have too as it also serves to strengthen Shields but really Fire seems to be more noticeable speccing into it first before Dom since some of their Self Heals can be scaled by Resto.

As its been said, more Skill Points are always good, just know if you want to hit the soft cap or reach for the hard cap.
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Nah dude, you never want to be using explosive block, then the adds will be everywhere and including over the rest of the group LOL, unless of course that's your intention (who doesn't like a good laugh) then you'll just have to pull them back in.

No in terms of adds you just want to CC them if need be, chronos are useful, if you're taking to much damage and can't face tank then you can kite it around, but make sure the group knows where you're tanking and where you're going to be kiting so they don't get in the way.
    • Like x 1
  15. Proxystar #Perception

Are you on the US PC/PS server, Private message me your in game name and I'll send you a bunch of chrono's for free.
  16. fm0987 Committed Player

Thank no worries lol I’ve really only been trying to tank occasionally any real content since open eps but once that’s over prob just back to events for me.
    • Like x 1
  17. Brit Loyal Player

When it comes to Skill Points, the vast majority of the bonus is going to occur from the +10% bonus that you get from placing 100 skill points into a passive, rather than the static bonuses that accompany it clear up to 255.

Tanks are popularly said to require more skill points because every Tank is going to strongly benefit from both Dominance and Health (with Fire also receiving a strong benefit from Restoration). For most Tanks, what you're going to find is that you need 1 point in weapon, 1 to assign your playstyle, 30 into crit, and then 100 into Dominance and 100 into Health, plus whatever you would normally put into your movement tree. If we assume that you're going to go clear through Control Resist and breakout recovery in your movement tree, then you're going to want 239 for most Tank types in order to just hit those soft-caps.

Fire Tanks are generally expected to max their crit healing (30 more) and hit the soft-cap for Restoration as well (100 more) for a total of 369 just to reach the soft caps.

Obviously, more is always better, but after the soft-caps there is a serious diminishing return on additional skillpoints invested into the passives, so everything beyond that 239 (or 369 as Fire) is going to be nice, but less essential, for the purpose of fulfilling your job.

For the record, the Development Team should take note of this and merge Dominance and Health into a single passive node, the way that DPS players are able to get Might/Power from a single node. That would bring most Tanks into closer alignment with other roles.
    • Like x 3
  18. spack2k Steadfast Player

100hp/ 100dom/ 1resto/ 1+ lunge/ 1+ movement/ 20crits/ 1 type (superpower,hybrid,weaponexpert)/ 1+ iconic powers (hardlight shield)

u need atleast 225SP
  19. Batman2099earthcold Committed Player

Thanks for the information guys .
  20. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

The developers have made it very clear that if you are +/- 10% of your CR in Skill Points, you are fine for content at that level. Especially with the advent of artifacts, you are in great shape around there.