how many skills points are recomended to have to a tank ?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Batman2099earthcold, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Depends on what Power Set you are. If you are Rage, you should have 200 Manacles, 200 Refractor, and 200 Symbol. What's that? You're asking about Skill Points. Oh, don't worry about those things, just make sure you Artifacts are at 200 and you are good to go. ;)
  2. Illumin411 Loyal Player

It's not ideal and like I said, I'd normally never suggest it. But the way I see it, it could help keep the OP alive and have the added bonus of increasing opportunities to practice pulling, gathering and controlling adds by functioning as a quasi reset button, lol. I assume explosive block doesn't automatically drop aggro, no?
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

This can't be stressed enough and I am always surprised at how many people don't understand, realize and/or consider the importance of the percentage boosts versus the static stats. For example, lets say someone's powerset & playstyle benefit most from health, second most from dom and resto a distant third and they've maxed health and have 120 SP left. Even though in this scenario dom is more beneficial than resto, they'd b better off putting 100 in dom and 20 in resto as 4% resto will do more than than the measly 80 or so dom that come from sp 101-120. Percentage based stats will always scale with CR and augments, static stats will not.

Stathew Percentaughey would say "You know what I like about those static stat girls, I keep getting stronger, they stay the same strength."
    • Like x 2
  4. High Troller Loyal Player

Currently running an alt named African Girl. I've been Earth tanking (a USPC Villain) new regular raids with brick with 100-135sp and cr 276-290. Also been Atomic tanking (a EUPC Hero) new regular raids with only 115sp and cr 275-285.

I'm new to earth tanking. Not exactly new to Atomic tanking. My main-ish toons have 390-393sp. I am unlike most low sp players though.
  5. spack2k Steadfast Player

I tested that with rage when i had 166 sp left after maxing hp/100 into dom and my shields were stronger with 150 straight into DOM and rest into resto than spliting 100 into DOM and 66 into resto.

My advice unless ur fire ignore resto after the first point.( 80 resto for 1 sp is a good deal none the less)
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Part of tanking is control, explosive block creates a lack of control as opposed to purposefully kiting and using chronos

I wouldn't recommend it to a tank ever, i have seen group members die from it.

Also if you're dying to hall way adds then honestly you're either under geared, aren't using the right powers, may be using them incorrectly, are gathering too many adds at once, or have a bad healer.

If you're in a boss fight you won't use explosive block because it creates chaos, imagine tanking MOMe with explosive block and just having all the robins flying around... even PCe, you imagine the Lady Blackhawk fight with adds flying around everywhere..

A good tank simply wouldn't do that and has no need to do that and I'd never be recommending a new tank use that foot mod. :)
  7. AV Loyal Player

Agreed. As a tank in general, it's an extremely poor pick especially vs Tumbling Master. The only place it's solid as a tank was in SM, where it was extremely effective for bouncing bosses back into orbital strikes, depositing them exactly where you wanted them to be by angling the bounce, and just adding cc in general but I'd never recommend its use for tanking anywhere else. It's very good on DPS though and adds a lot of tankability for non-tanks on a lot of bosses , especially those with lungey predispositions.

I've seen several underleveled Rage tanks with <100 arts, unlvled head mods, and underlvled augs do fine in Elite content. It's seems to maintain it's potency regardless of stats/arts in general.
  8. Magnificent Loyal Player

SP doesn't make one a good tank, how well they know their powers and their timing makes one a good tank. SP makes tanks better and can help cover the deficiencies of poor tanks.

Depending on your powerset a good tank player could probably do non-elite endgame as an Ice tank with ~250SP (and a good healer), especially if you're splitting tanking. For Fire though you would need more like ~350 (due to needing Resto as well).

The best option is to get as many as you can (getting the easier ones, like for explorations, during slow times) while focusing on learning the best loadout for your powerset and why it's the best for you.
  9. High Troller Loyal Player

120 manacles, 120 mystic seven. Good enough for current regular raids at 100-135 sp rage, atomic and Earth I've discovered so far. Not sure where you get the expensive 200 number from. I never use refractor.
  10. fm0987 Committed Player

Would you say proper artifacts are a necessity for support roles in endgame content? I’m starting to think so anyway. I’ve tried all different combinations of sp (300 some) and still getting one spotted fairly regularly. I’m thinking it’s because I only have dps artifacts thus far? (Haven’t dedicated to upgrading my tanking side of things yet)
  11. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

I'm suing you all for being bigoted against the explosive block.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 6
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Haha, there's always an exception, I'll await the litigation documents :p
  13. High Troller Loyal Player

In my humble opinion... Artifacts + Tactical Mods for the very minimum for beginner support roles. As far as tanking, I have been leveling up manacles to 80 then mystic to 80. then manacles to 120. then same with mystic. 120 is golden for my low skill point tanking adventures on US and EU servers. it only gets better at higher bonus ranks (140, 160, etc).

Do keep in mind, SP, Artifacts and Augments do not make the player automatically better. I have witnessed tanks with 500+ sp triple rank-200 artifacts and full augments just do beyond terribad at tanking. Not just in Elite. In regular content.

Here's a quick story of an encounter with a Turtle Atomic Tank - pulls 4 adds in front of him. The next set of 4 are just a hair around the corner. The mini map clearly shows that. This tank in question would not advance far enough to pull over the next 4. The same tank enters a room of 4 sets of adds at all 4 corners. The tank only grabs 1 or 2 sets. Meanwhile the healer grabs aggro of the rest just by healing. This tank had 500+ sp, triple 200 artifacts, and full augments. Terribad

Out of curiosity, what power are you wanting to tank with?
  14. fm0987 Committed Player

Earth, brick tanking. I’m not entirely new to tanking but only recently have run any real content with open eps (I don’t really sub anymore). I also have tac mods. I just repurchased manacles and mystic to go along with my 160 grim (believe I had them previously but deleted, using all dps arts as tank up til now). I don’t really use supers as a tank otherwise I might consider eye of Gemini. Main problem being in certain raids I’ll just get randomly one shotted with brick up shields n all. I’m guessing cus I don’t have the proper arts ranked up yet and or my hp is too low.
    Edit: whats the other one, refractor? Maybe I should get that too.
  15. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I was being sarcastic guys. lol. Also, Refractor is gold for Rage since Rage is all about the Health buff. Obviously not needed but much better than other options.
  16. High Troller Loyal Player

i'm sure new time capsule gets release in a few weeks. hopefully tanks get love this time around.

p.s. any relation to Crash?