How did you feel when Death of Superman 1at came out

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by GalaxySniper, Apr 21, 2018.

1. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Not lying. There were ppl who hated the story line of Sups death.
  2. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

I was always more of a Marvel fan than DC. I loved the X book titles. I did break away from Marvel long enough to read this story arch offered by DC though...

The greatest spoil in the story is the villain IMO. Not that Doomsday was terrible mind you, but SM had so many worthy, already existing villains, did DC really need to create a new villain just to off SM? Of course he really wasn't dead, unknowingly just beat to a pulp, so in essence the entire story was pretty lame. After his death came all the alt supermen to take his place... I stopped reading and didn't bite on that gimmick, eventually SM did return from the grave...

It may be worth noting , that it was around this time that Image, Valiant, DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, and other publishers flooded the market and over saturated it with special collector issues, #1 issues, foil covers, and various other gimmicks to keep customers interested and buying.... this over saturation ruined comic collecting IMO, it wasn't long after this period that I stopped buying and reading comics altogether. In hindsight, the publishers failed to recognize the over saturation of the market.

Funny, but true, they are doing the same thing in regards to MOVIES now. Seems like just about everything coming out of HOLLYWOOD, is comic related. While I love seeing my childhood comic fantasies come to life on the big screen, I fear the genera will eventually be over played, and the general public will turn on anything that is comic book related.

IMO, within 5 - 10 years, if not sooner, comic book movies may cease to be made... All it takes is a few of these huge block-buster mega movies to fail, and the tide will turn against them. Laws of supply and demand can be a tricky.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I had a similar experience. I had gotten back into comics around the time I went to college, but I stuck mainly with Marvel books (X titles mainly, along with New Warriors and the future-based Guardians of the Galaxy). The Death of Superman story actually pulled me back to DC a bit and rekindled my interest in the stories they were telling. The Superboy book that spun out of Reign of the Supermen was one that I kept up with for quite a while after the Death/Rebirth stuff, even after I lost interest in following the regular Superman books.

As for the potential oversaturation of comic/super hero films, I'd be a little more worried about the same if there had been more stumbles or flops by both companies. But even the Marvel films that don't measure up to the top-of-the-heap films are good films and they have kept up a standard of quality throughout. That level of quality is kind of setting the bar, so that alone could go a long way towards keeping oversaturation from becoming a serious problem. If it doesn't meet the bar the moviegoers aren't going to be as likely to see it, and it could end up killing sub-par productions before they become a reality.