How did you feel when Death of Superman 1at came out

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by GalaxySniper, Apr 21, 2018.

1. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Im sure ppl say how much they love the story line and say it was a Iconic moment for DC. But to me that's the biggest bull I have ever heard.

The majority of ppl that like Death of Superman where either Batman fans or was born after this storyline and heard about it or both.

And their reason of loving this storyline is that he finally met his match.

But when it came to silver age Superman fans, we felt very disrespected. It felt like DC didn't care about superman fans for years b4 the death of Superman.

You had Superman lose to Batman which really didn't make sense based on all the villains superman defeated and to lose a aging batman was irritating to a lot of Supe fan.

You had Superman lose to Flash in a race. I remember for years us Silver age Supe fans said flash cheated ( lol)

Now fast forward to Death of Superman, Superman fans was outraged. I remember there was a petition about bringing superman back at that time.

I remember being mad that Superman was going to die but beg my dad to buy the comic book.

I know what your saying. Why would you buy something that made you mad?

My simple response. Collectors item.

As much ppl hate the fact there would be no more Superman. They felt this comic book will be comic book history as the last superman story.
    And we have to read and own a piece a history.

But once Superman came back to life hardcore fans felt betrayed again. And ever since then DC has not recovered Their hard Core Sup fan base that they once had.

Me as a Kid I was happy that Sup came back. But it was bitter sweet.. Over the years of lazy writing trying humanizing and nerfing him was just to much for me. He became uninteresting, boring, insecure, inexperience hero that I hate. The total opposite what I love about superman as a kid.

Even tho Death of Superman was a major success sales wise. But it was the Ultimate Betrayal for Superman fans.

To me what DC fail to relies is that they are celebrating the Ultimate betrayal. The Death of Sup..

But This my take on Death of Superman.

How did you guys take it ( if you was alive back then) when you 1st heard Dc was killing Superman
  2. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Actually DCUO has been focusing content on Events happening in comics/media etc for a while now and intersperse Episodes from wishlists (like Earth 3) so its more than likely this was chosen because of the 2 Part Animated movie coming out in 2018/2019. Plus it allows them to tell one of the biggest Superman stories on an epic scale splitting it into 3.

Whether you like the comic story or not its still a big part of his history and is iconic. It was a gimmick, even DC execs have admitted that, but it also introduced 2 very important things:

1) The idea that even the most powerful superhero could die (even though he technically didnt)
    2) New important characters into the lore

As to your question, when it happened I wasnt more of a Batman fan than Superman and was born before it so I must be the minority. I dont think those details invalidate anyones opinion of it in any case. It was sub-par writing at best but I loved the layout of the fight. It was cross-country and everyone who wasnt completely wrecked by this mysterious enemy was still failing to contain it. I loved the tease/countdown timer preceeding the issue itself of Doomsday breaking out of his cage at the end of issues. Then in the actual issue the Panels become a countdown timer. The Reign of Supermen storyline also makes the weak writing worth it as it (lightly) touches on what it takes to be Superman when hes not around and whether his methods worked or if someone like the Eradicators should be used.

Obviously a lot of that delves into the aftermath rather than just the death, but it is all one story. Either way, whether you agree or not, we're not getting that story. For Doomsday to be in DCUO he would have had to have killed Kal El already. Pretty sure theres a brief with Superman talking about being kilked in the game somewhere too. Its a mix of the Death of story with Superman Doomed, meaning its probably going to be the "Death of the ideal of Superman" we'll be dealing with when he kills Doomsday and turns into SuperDoom. (Meh)
  3. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

I kinda didn't want it to be DCUO related, But comic book related . That's why it's in Joker fun house. I don't know the full details on what DCUO is doing. Just was interested in how DC fan felt about the comic book when it 1st came out or when they heard of it.
  4. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Well thats in there too.
  5. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Surprised, that's about it. I didn't care either way. I always thought he looked ridiculous and never liked him. I bought the comic just to have it.
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Never really been a DC fan (apart from, at that time, Legionnaires and Catwoman), what appealed to me was the idea of an epic story that had an impact on nearly every DC character and crossed over to many different titles (could get all the cross-overs if you wanted, butt missing any, or all, didn't leave you feeling like you missed something vitally important), always felt the 'Death' was going to be nothing butt a gimic and that he would be back, butt it was how he was going to be coming back that had me intrigued (and what the Kent's and Lois had to go through, alone, was so tragic: everyone got to mourn Soupcan, butt who could they turn to to mourn Clark with? Certainly no one publically)

The Reign of the Supermen, to me, was interesting as you had 2 'good' and 2 'evil' replacements, and they all showed different aspects of Soupcan. Always knew Soup-boy and Cyborg weren't the real Soupcan, butt, to me, until he did return, there was always that little trace that Eradicator was Soupcan
  7. stärnbock Devoted Player

how did you celebrated your grandpas 80'th anniversary? of course: by killing him off! because: why not, right?
    • Like x 1
  8. stärnbock Devoted Player

way to go, grandpa... way to go...
    death by partying sounds awesome.
  9. JKwak Well-Known Player

i was 4 years old, the only superheroes i knew of where the ninja turtles and the Power Rangers.

edit: but beacause of this stupid idea every time a Marvel or DC run out of ideas they kill a hero only to bring him later back.

... at least ultimate spiderman stayed death
  10. velvetsanity Loyal Player

“They’re killing Superman? Huh. I really wish this place carried more comics, it sucks only having five different ones to pick from.”
  11. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Ah the memories, I remember when I heard about this and picked up the blackbag edition
    • Like x 1
  12. |The 3rror Committed Player

we all know superman going to be revived he was never dead cause he still sits in the watchtower thanking heroes for saving him from lex kryptonite cage lol :p
  13. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

It was a cash grab. A chance to get some media attention and sell comics. DC trying to compete with what Marvel was doing with their X-titles and the rise of Image.
  14. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

Despite being a fan of Superman I was all-in on Marvel and especially Image at the time. When I saw the black-bagged DoS I actually felt DC was insulting their fan's intelligence. I knew there was zero chance he would stay dead. It was a pathetic ploy to generate revenue for a title whose popularity was at it's nadir. An attempt to stay relevant despite the shift towards newer companies such as Image, Dark Horse,Vertigo and other publishers. It changed the way I look at comics and I realized that the fans love the characters much more than the comic industry. Its all about the money and right now Thor is a woman but we all know that's not permanent.
    • Like x 2
  15. FoolsFire Devoted Player

My thoughts:

"Why are these people waiting in line?"

"Why are these people paying $25 for something that came out a week ago?"

"Why is that kid sobbing because his little brother opened the bag?"
  16. E Clip Dedicated Player

I started reading comics because of that, so it did the trick on me. In my defense though, I was 12 back than :p
    I just couldn't believe that Superman can be killed and curiosity got the best of me so I started buying and reading comics. It quickly became apparent that he wont stay dead for long. At that point I was new to comics so I didn't feel betrayed , but if other long time readers felt like that ... dunno what to say, they should have known better I guess.

Its tough to be a Supes fan, especially in recent times because everybody's ******** on him, but I dont care: Supes for life! :D
    • Like x 1
  17. mattyice Active Player

To me, Superman isn’t even in my top 5. I know he’s supposed to be the greatest superhero, but i just don’t care for him that much. He’s too perfect in my opinion. He has all the superpowers and still manages to get beat by a small green rock. It’s not even interesting to read, and I haven’t picked up one of his comics in a long time.

Now I know the Death of Superman was polarizing to DC fans... their iconic character just got beat to a pulp and died. But I mean it eventually had to happen, didn’t it? You can’t have someone that powerful and not have an equal or someone who’s stronger.

I like the actors who play him in the movies, don’t misinterpret this part. Henry Cavill is probably my favorite Superman actor so far. I like the cast for the DCEU.
  18. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Despite my great fondness for the character, I wasn't exactly devastated when Superman died. Comic fans knew about it months in advance, so it wasn't a shock like when Kara or Barry or Jason died.

And by the point Superman #75 was released, I was 100% certain that they would bring him back within a year. Why? Because comics.

Nevertheless, I bought the black bagged edition and wore the included armband for about a week.
  19. Helderman Dedicated Player

Blatant lie. I was 15 when i read The Death of Superman and I am a Superfan. I actually mourned the fact that I would have Supes only on TV but I loved the story, I even played The Death and Return of Superman on the Mega Drive.

P.S.: The Flash is the fastest man alive, no way Supes would win a race against him. And in The Dark Knight Returns he underestimated Batman.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Flush is the fastest hyu-mon, Soups is not human, he's a Kryptonian