Help for Controllers Looking for Advice on The Role

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Darth, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Darth Loyal Player

Let's just put this into perspective. He was a lot more geared than you yet you were right in the range of where you should be in power out as if you were equally geared. You were also likely doing a lot more damage than him. If you were equally geared and you had PoT, you would do a lot more for the group if he had PoT. You are fairly new to the game and the role yet you know the role better than this guy who was being a jerk to you. I can tell that you have a ton of potential as a Controller and are already on the more skilled side of the coin. Don't let people who know less about the role than you get to you. They are the biggest problem with the role.
  2. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

You surely know how to cheer me up. You would really approve the way I play :-D. the damage score was like this, more or less:

dps1 = 1,5 M
    dps2 = 1,3 M
    dps3 = 1,2 M
    me = 700k
    healer = 350k (celestial FTW)
    main troll (the jerk) = 280k
    tank = 100k

Too bad they kicked me while I was getting a cup of coffee or I would have saved a screenshot.
  3. Darth Loyal Player

Lol that's just the mindset you have to have as a Controller, especially in cases like that. Sure sounds like an impressive Scorecard and I would have liked to see it. How long were you in the instance for?
  4. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

A little more than 30 minutes. We were rocking hard :-D
  5. J Zmooth New Player

I have a question. I've only been trolling for about a good month and I've read a few guides on Controlling on the forums.
    I read about the double tick for pot which is recasting pot right after it hits the 4th tick if I'm correct. I heard a troll mention that there was a triple tick in another thread and I'm wondering if this is real.
  6. Darth Loyal Player

Assuming that we're counting the initial tick when PoT is cast, yes a double tick would be when you cast PoT again on the 4th tick (20 seconds later). This will reset the PoT cycle and give you 2 ticks of PoT at the same time. You can get an extra tick anywhere between 20-25 seconds but the closer you are to 20 seconds the more you're maximizing your power out.

That same 20-25 second window is the room you have to perform the triple tick as well which is very real. It works on the same principle as the Double tick. The only difference is that to get a triple tick the second Controller would have to throw PoT within that window as well. Obviously for it to be a true Triple tick both Controllers would be throwing PoT at the same time as the 4th tick. This is best performed when the Controllers have similar Vit but as long as the Controller with the higher Vit throws his PoT second it won't matter.

Based on this concept it would probably be possible to do a Quad Tick and Penta Tick if you had 3 and 4 Controllers and so on. I might have to do some testing on that but it wouldn't be viable in most content since if you're running with 3 or more Controllers, they aren't good enough to do it. Could be fun testing though :)
  7. J Zmooth New Player

This is good. I'd assume you'd have to have communication among the 1st and 2nd troll to do this triple tick.
    I'm going to try it next time I run something.

I also read somewhere about a 3 trinket rotation . I have one trinket that boosts vit, but I hear there's also a pet for controlling? And the last trinket I don't know much about.

Also the HT mod that restores power. Do you know what it's called? And how does it work?
  8. Darth Loyal Player

Yes you would typically need communication between the two Controllers to do so, especially if you want to be consistent with it.

There are 3 types of trinkets you can use that have separate cooldowns (I'll talk about the Controller specific ones):
    1- Stats: These trinkets increase Vit for 20 seconds and has a 2 minute cooldwon. (Current top end: WoL1 trinket)
    2- Pet: There trinkets increase Vit for 20 seconds and summon a pet 2 minute cooldown. (Current top end: Sea Chanter from the summer seasonal)
    3- Form: This would be the CC trinket. It increases your Vit and Dom for about 60 seconds and has a 5 minute cooldown I believe (I might be wrong, its been a while).

Basically for HT mods you want to have anything that has the word "Replenishing" in it. I would suggest at least having to Weapon and Neck ones. There are also Feet ones but they aren't as important, don't have the word replenishing in them and the one you would use is Movement type dependent.
  9. Silvaback New Player

Thanks a lot Darth I'll be sure to add tactical mods and the FOS trinket
  10. Silvaback New Player

It may also help to mute DPS's
  11. Darth Loyal Player

No problem. If you don't have the FoS trinket yet you can get it from the Novice or Expert version and you can also get a trinket with an equivalent Vit boost from the Inner Raid. If you already have it, ignore what I just said lol
  12. Silvaback New Player

FOS 1 yeah I can do that with a few members my league.
  13. Darth Loyal Player

You can get a 240 Vit boost trinket from FoS 2 and Inner.
  14. Darth Loyal Player

700k damage from a low T5 Controller in 30 minutes? You sure? That's pretty impressive. I would have liked to see the run/scorecard. I'd have to change my setup around a bit to do that kind of damage. I have a feeling power demands weren't overly high though :p
  15. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

No, I am not sure. I was kicked while I was afk. I said "about" but my perception of time is questionable when I am playing :-D
  16. Darth Loyal Player

Lol maybe the number is skewed a bit. Take a screenshot for me next time :p
  17. StarSurfer New Player

Great thread! You should update the trinkets section (number 11) with your post:

The spring event (coming soon!) trinket has roughly the same vit boost as the FoS. At low levels, that is a good, fairly inexpensive option that doesn't rely on lucky drops. I assume it shares the same cool down as the FoS / Trigon / WoL1 ones, since the DPS one does.

The CC trinket does have a 5 minute cool down. There's a tinkly sound and an electric effect around your feet and legs when it has cooled down.

About the pets, what other pets replenish power? A Halloween one?
  18. Darth Loyal Player

Good call on the Spring event trinket. I was actually taking breaks every time it came around so I don't know what its like.

I just wasn't sure how long you got the boost for. I knew the CC trinket has a 5 minute cooldown for sure.

I use the Summer time Sea Chanter trinket as my pet. I don't think there were any Halloween ones that are as good. 246 Vit boost, the pet restores your power and helps out with some damage too.
  19. MamaKin New Player

This has me wondering if I should reconfigure my belt rotation. Lately, I run with vitamin colas (just in case), a supply drop, backup or sidekick, and orbital strike because we've been raiding quite a bit recently. Don't think I've gotten my hands on a Spring trinket and I know for sure I never got one in FoS, but I do have a Summer one, Ms Boo, Boo Jr, Trigon and CC trinkets. I know I need to respec/tinker a bit more with my loadout (mental) since I respec'd my SP to make sure I was getting all of the vitalization and cunning in the trees (current base vit is 2442).

The nice thing is, I regularly run with four or five amazing controllers who've taught me quite a bit about the role since we started playing together. :D
  20. Darth Loyal Player

It's really up to you what trinket rotation you feel helps you out more. Currently I'm running Vit soders or Static Grenades, Supply Drop, as well as my Sea Chanter and WoTL1 trinket on a one minute rotation for the 20 second Vit boost once every minute.