Help for Controllers Looking for Advice on The Role

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Darth, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

I think I finally understood the controller role. I'd like to have suggestions on how to play in those occasions in which the team is not communicating. I found myself in alerts and raids with silent people doing their own game, not bothering to revive the others or else.

The controller role is optimized when the team has good team-players, otherwise it becomes a real crusade to play. In the last raid, against the Brainiac sub-contruct's boss, for instance, I was the only one actively reviving the allies. We were 3 controllers, 2 healers, 1 tank and 2 DpS. I kept giving PoT, attack debuffs, occasionaly using quantum tunneling and shield to reach out and revive the fallen comrades. Of course, as soon as I was put down, the team was doomed, since no one would care to revive the others.

The healers where the first to die, the controllers followed. The tank was doing the impossible to stay alive while the DpS were hitting as harder as they could without caring about anything else, but eventually the group failed 9 times. I abandoned the raid.

Beside abandoning, what's the best thing to do, given a crappy team like that?
  2. TheDark Devoted Player

Curse them out :D
    You're better off just leaving if they're brain dead. Some people just don't listen or realize these instances are designed and about teamwork. Not competition despite it being a natural desire. There's proof of it in the powersets and the way the raids were designed.

Just leave and add them all to ignore. Then find a woman.
  3. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Lol, my wife would be quite upset if I would go finding a woman. I already have this game that makes her jealous enough due to the time I dedicate to it... :-D
  4. Darth Loyal Player

I'm glad that you've found the thread useful. There is tons of elements of the role that you need to learn before you can feel like you know it well or have mastered it. Like I said in your thread, I'd be happy to help you with any of it if you ask me. Also, if you go to the threads in TheDark's sig there is a lot of detailed information on the roles that is more technical and supported by statistics. This thread was more of a general comment on the role to share my playstyle with those interested.

As far as having problems in the lower tier raids etc. that may be a common problem you face. The fact is that most people running that content are likely to it and still learning the game and their role as you. Some of them may not care about learning or trying to work as a team. If there are no experienced players in there, it may be better to cut your loses and leave as there will be no one to guide the group. There isn't much you can do in those instances if they aren't listening to you asking them to play as a team. What platform are you on? If you're on the USPS villain side, I'd be happy to come in and help you out if I'm not busy.
  5. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

I am USPC heroes. Villains tend to be too rude for my tastes :-D. I had bad experiences as a villain, although many of the most experienced players play on that side.

Lately, however, I am gathering great consensus with my character (Karma Agent). Many people congratulates with me for being a good controller. It looks like I am learning well :-D. In many alerts, the healers hardly get below half of their power bar and the foes are 50% of the time idling suspended in mid air like target practice dummies :). I am enjoying much more my being a controller thanks to the stuff I am learning on the forum.
    • Like x 1
  6. Darth Loyal Player

You should come over to the dark side :p I'm glad the forums have helped you out. I'm getting the feeling that you've already learnt alot. Feel free to come back if you ever need help with anything else. I'm sure there is more for you to learn before you know the role inside out and this is a great place to get advice from very experienced Controllers.
  7. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Man, I had the most instructive raid with a more experienced troller, a certain Darth-something (don't remember). I learned so much by looking at him. Now, I am not only a decent power-giver, but I also am in the top 4 damage dealers in the raids. To the face of those who say that Quantum sucks at DpS :p!
  8. Darth Loyal Player

Well Darths do tend to know what they're talking about. I am quite a bit biased though. I'm glad you ran into an experienced Controller in game that helped you out. That's how I got my introduction to it over 2.5 years ago. If I was on your server I would have gladly helped you out like that. I'm always the one after the DPSs in damage out which is where we should be since we can do damage a lot more easily than Tanks and Healers (Since we don't get a 10% damage reduction like them and we actually get a Damage buff when we hit Instant Power). As far as Quantum when you're actually DPSing, it is a bit underrated. I've been experimenting with it a bit lately and even with my limited experience I've put out a ton of damage and it can top the Damage charts. It is a bit power hungry though.
  9. Darth Loyal Player

Instant Power is glitched and has a virtual power cap. Check out the thread here.
    • Like x 1
  10. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I mentioned this in one of the change the controller role threads hoping it would enlighten some of the players who post on those wanting drastic changes. Good job on the test. That alone would be a good fix that would help controllers at all levels and powers.
  11. Incognitosmoke New Player

Today I saw a controller in looking for group that had the highest vit. I had heard of so far. They were standing close to me in the in the HQ so I inspected them. They had full vestment set with 2 rings of OP, and they had straight vit. mods in every slot ignoring the bonus for using the correct colors. I was just wondering if modding straight vit. was the norm now, or did they do this just to boost their vit.?
  12. Darth Loyal Player

Modding pure Vit is definitely not the norm. He probably did that purely for bragging rights. There is no point in modding pure Vit and it actually hinders your power out when you ignore your crit power chance and magnitude affinities like that. With expert mods you only gain 36 Vit when you ignore your crit power affinities which is only a PoT tick that increases by 2. I would never recommend to do this. Increasing PoT by 2 is not even close to being worth 20% crit power magnitude and 5% crit power chance.
    • Like x 5
  13. TheDark Devoted Player

Add that person to ignore :D
    • Like x 3
  14. Delta795 New Player

That person likely modded that way so he could always be the PoT controller. They are also incredibly dumb to do so as by modding this way you miss the affinities that are associated with you mods, which in turn actually makes him produce LESS power out than a a similarly geared controller modded correctly.

TL/DR
    Terrible controller
    • Like x 2
  15. MENTaLCAsE XIII New Player

exactly what the last 3 post said is completely true

fools mod straight Vit

but its their toon and they have a right to do whatever... absolutely not the norm
    • Like x 1
  16. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

*****: "Your vit is a little too low" (vit 1881, that reaches 2300~ with my trinkets)
    Me: "I know, I need better mods but I am saving exos for the T6. However if you loot at the damage score I am right after the DpS"
    (It was 60% of the damage done by each DpS - not too shabby I'd say. Being the secondary troller, my power out wasn't much compared to the main troller, but the team wasn't really power angry)
    *****: "who needs damage from a troller? Trollers are here for giving power."
    Me: "there is much more to trolling than being a blue battery"
    *****: "are you kidding me? UR a noob!"

I was kicked out of the raid after 30 minutes of playing. I am so mad I could burst.

[IMG]
  17. Darth Loyal Player

That sure does sound like a pain in the butt. I have a couple comments and questioins:
    What raid were you in and how much power out did you have compared to the other Controller? Typically you should have around 50%-60% of the PoT Controller's power out if you are equally geared. Could be down around 40% or a bit less depending on how geared the PoT Controller is. I know I preach that there is a lot more to the role than giving power but I also preach that you should never neglect your power duties to do so. I imagine that this conversation wouldn't have occurred if there wasn't a problem with power, otherwise your response should have been "Is there a power problem?". The most important part of Controlling is adaptation. You need to know how to adapt to different groups that have different power consumptions.

Which raid? How much power out did you have compared to the PoT Controller? How geared was the PoT Controller compared to you? How was the power flow? I know I can help you out :)
  18. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

The raid was AnB and I was a little above 50% of the power given. My vitality is 1881, while his was 2132. He wasn't recharging much and the team wasn't really power hungry. Good DpS. No power bar was ever below 75%. He just wanted to be a jerk. Before starting the raid he already knew what was my vitalization, since we already agreed in private who was going to cast PoT, but he asked me again in the group chat. That happened when we kicked out the first tank (really incapable of doing his job) and the healer had to go. As soon as his league mates joined us, he turned into an a-hole. (Shame on you Bronx guys, you usually are much better than that)
    One of his league-mates wrote to apologize, the others just supported their buddy, calling me "noob" (the most ******** insult ever conceived). I know only that I am done playing with them forever.
  19. Darth Loyal Player

Well there clearly wasn't a problem and he was just a jerk. Keep working hard and keeping up the good fight friend. Brush that type of stuff off your shoulder because there's no reason dwelling on it. I'm glad to see you've reached T5 and are progressing well.
  20. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

You are right. I am hyper-sensitive to rudeness and unfairness and I dwell too much on it. I am so silly for letting those trolls to demoralize me! :-( I am going to be 37 soon, yet I feel depressed every time I realize that people can be mean for no reasons.