Has the CR bug been Fixed or Did Hand Blasters get Nerfed?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dipin Gujral, Sep 21, 2015.

1. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I'll try it out tonight on the single target. Are you also at full SC when testing? I'll post my numbers here.
  2. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

No, the SC is not full when I am testing the damage. In fact, duel wield throw seems to be doing better damage than HB for me. When testing please ensure that your equipped CR is 137.

Thank you for you help!
  3. Karnevil Committed Player

How does this work? If you go into weapon mastery you LOSE damage? That sounds counter productive.
  4. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

"Purchasing [Weapon] Mastery causes [combo list] to hit for increased damage." is quite clear. If they hit for less damage, it's not misleading, it's broken.

I don't see anything in the Shiny Mackerel's opener talking about this being broken. I do see it looking at the chart specifics. I don't know why he didn't put it in the "broken" list. I trust his charts. Wow.
  5. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I'm not a WM damage expert, but reading Shiny's summary I believe the damage bonus takes effect ONLY WHEN using a power during the WM combo. You get the 3.6 crit chance, and assuming the chance hits, you then get the 20% damage bonus. When the devs revamped weapon damage as part of GU 47 (I think that was the one), they boosted the non WM combo damage for those powers using an AM that didn't get to use WM combos. For example DoT powers when you have the DoTs up, no WM crit allowed.

If you are using WM combos WITH the power cast, you get the 20% weapon damage bonus. That is why if you don't use WM combos for your damage, don't spec into WM. Some combos (remember it's not all) will do more damage without the WM spec in place.

:confused::confused: The devs really did it on this one ;)
  6. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

For single target, dual wield hits harder (6.1 vs. 5.7) than Solar Flame and is faster (.4 sec vs. .8 sec). It probably depends on the cooldown of the power you are clipping with to see what is better over the long run. And with HB you also get the charged blast damage with Solar Flame (I think 2.2). If you are just comparing the dual throw vs. solar flame, you should get more with dual throw.
  7. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

I was observing discrepancies with Hand Blaster combos, sometimes the average DPS would go up and sometimes it would record low damage and have been observing them since day before yesterday. DW is just another optional weapon that I was looking at because something is not working right with HB for me.
    • Like x 1
  8. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

I have no clue what you're saying. Are you saying the combos listed should be used like WM combos, but without the zing, in order to get the 20% bonus?
  9. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

• Like x 1
  10. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

The weapon combos that have a WM crit (like Solar Flame) do more damage when not spec'd into WM if you do not use WM. Yeah, that is a confusing sentence. My easiest example is a DoT power, like electricity. You do not get any WM crit bonus when DoTs are up. So if you use a weapon combo (like Solar Flame), you do more damage when not spec'd into WM on hand blasters.

On a side note, even though you can see the WM "circle" animation when an electric DoT is up, you do NOT get the WM crit bonus.

To be more clear (or maybe more confusing), I'm talking about using a weapon combo, not part of a WM combo. Again in the case of Solar Flame, using Solar Flame directly with hand blasters as your equipped weapon. Not using Solar Flame as the WM combo from 1-handed range hold x2.

If you use WM combos as part of your damage loadout, or course you should spec into WM. You only don't spec into WM if you have a power that specifically excludes WM crit bonus, like DoT powers. And even then you only don't spec into WM if you use those specific weapon combos that do more damage without WM (like Solar Flame). As I type this I know it sounds confusing, but I don't know how to better explain. :confused::oops:
    • Like x 1
  11. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Still not following, but it really doesn't matter. The notion that the WM Skill Point (versus WM Combo, and WM Crit) isn't working, is a big deal.

I've reported the issue in the Issue Tracker, if people want to vote:
    https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/DC-869
  12. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

It's not a bug, it's intended that way. You do get the WM bonus when you do the combo and use a power. You don't get it if you have an AM active (like DoTs) that exclude WM. Working as intended.
  13. shiny mackerel Committed Player

I think it's intended but that tooltip is outdated. It started with GU47 where they blanket buffed non-WM combos by 50% to make them more competitive with WM. And continuing now with even more buffs to regular non-WM combos. But yeah it does feel messed up and broken now. that's just what happens when you're constantly reinventing the system without careful planning.
    • Like x 1
  14. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

If that's what the cause is, it means they didn't attach any sort of scalar to the WM Skill Point, they just created extra moves with their own values for base damage. What would you have a non-outdated version of the tooltip say if you were to re-write it at this point?
    • Like x 1
  15. shiny mackerel Committed Player

yes, all the WM version combos are really different moves with no apparent connection to their non-WM counterparts except animation. I think they just straight up copy pasted the non-WM moves, added mastery to the name, and changed the damage. Because I remember the WM version moves had the old splitting/targeting properties for a long time before they got updated.

I don't know what the tooltip should say the way it is now. I would rather they just make regular combo damage the same regardless of WM, scrap the idea of WM affecting regular combo damage, then adjust WM-only moves to account for the buff in regular combos. That way you could spec WM without getting downgraded, you could still choose between regular combo clipping and WM, and balance between the two would remain roughly the same.
    • Like x 1