GU 31 - Some clarification and why it should matter to you

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Spytle, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trinidad James Loyal Player

OMG, if they didn't change the description for Dom I'm going to be mad. :mad:
    • Like x 1
  2. Jamie New Player

Please tell me that either the PS3's graphics will load quicker or we will be able to turn down the quality to allow for faster loading. I hate having to wait 30-60 seconds for everything in the area to load.
    • Like x 3
  3. SuperiorMouse New Player

my mouth kind of dropped for this... um i think this answers your question for you guys. the amount of exclusion and ridicule and pure VITRIOL that this community exudes drives players away. it's a LARGE contributor to retention issues. i would say that having role tutorials is essential even if some less enlightened forum posters would post venomous responses to it's inclusion.

these are a must have -- OR the game needs to focus less on being a bleeding edge skill based game.

really that's what's happening here. there's a group of players who want to establish themselves as elite and skilled and they want to keep their ranks tight. this environment restricts population growth and general appeal of the game ... this community is regarded as the worst online game community of ALL MMOs because of their mentalities. so, either blow open the club by making it less skill focused on (making it more accessible to a larger audience) or do everything possible to get your average to poorly skilled players more skill. personally i would say both are essential in long term player retention.
    • Like x 6
  4. danielqpk New Player

I know all the Updates for leveling aren't listed but, this is what i have seen and what many many others have seen, and frankly this update doesn't seem to cut it for increasing population for very new players...

Influx of players because of PS4 ???? there are 10+ confirmed MMO games to be on PS4 so what makes this one stick out? nothing special compared to some others that are promoting like crazy...

Here are some ideas / Solutions... just to point out the little things...

Most people who have problem with this game are having trouble with the starting ship (partially leveling) but, I have friends aged from 7-23 who can't for the life of them figure out how to exit the ship, for me it takes 15 min (obviously i've played this game alot) them.... Uhh well, lets just say it takes a few log-ins.

I think there needs to be more explanation on what the point of leveling is. I have come across way, way too many people who get to level 30 and quit because, they thought they beat the game.(I did this at one point) or even quit at level 5. But When you think about it, hitting level 30 all you do is queue up for progression (receive marks) and many new players are unaware of this since there are only 5 alerts you have to do from level 9-26 ish

I'll be honest here when I first started the game I made a toon and when I hit 30, I made a new toon and did this with every power. Ending up in quitting overall....

coming back after 6-9 months I created a new toon and i couldn't figure out the enemies in the ship where you get taught Block break, lunge etc... quit again

Did I come back and am I playing now? Yes, but only because i'm very persistent (and i love DC)

The general new mmo player doesn't understand to figure things out themselves and i think there should be more simple instruction on role, leveling, progressing, how to do/ what to do and lastly what to do at 30... not HUGE tutorials but things to read as in tool-tips but while playing.

I'm seeing people leaving before the fun starts and this could be fixed by pulling people from the beginning not at level 15 ish .... once someone understands a good amount on the way this game works they stick and they stick forever (like me and many of my friends)
  5. Magnificent Loyal Player

There have been numerous posts about how the graphic upgrades are for the PC and PS4 only. PS3 folks should not have to worry (at least not any moreso than normal ;) )
  6. Magnificent Loyal Player

Oh yeah? OH YEAH!?! Well... you're a doody-head!

;)
    • Like x 1
  7. Remander Steadfast Player

Surely, you're exaggerating here. My youngest son started playing DCUO at age 5, and he found his way out of the ship without any guidance from me. I'll agree that a lot of the game you have to learn on your own, but this is a little much.

I will say that I went through the same thing as you with leveling to 30. My first toon was Nature. Got to 30 and wanted to use a different powerset. My two sons had the other 3 slots used up (F2P at the time), so I just deleted him, because I didn't know I could buy power respec tokens, LOL! I know you can't force it, but if more people would jump on this forum, they would be able to learn a ton. That's when the game really opened up for me. I've mentioned it before, but I think there should be a more obvious "banner" type ad on the launcher that mentions the forum as a resource for players new to the game. I think there's a limit to what you can do in game. Personally, I try and tutor anyone I run across that is having trouble. Recent example: I picked up a PUG DPS to fill out a Trigon group the other day. Turns out it was his first time running it. As we went through the instance, I tried to point out the necessities, and it went very well. I think the real onus is on the community to help others learn the game.
    • Like x 5
  8. Jbizzahalla175 New Player

Where are the patch notes for update 31 again?
  9. Jbizzahalla175 New Player

Never mind I found them...duh
  10. Splinter Cell Dedicated Player

Thanks for the reply, Spytle. It sounds exciting!
  11. Spytle Executive Creative Director

@danielqpk

We think it will help. Time will tell which of us is right. We're very confident that this is a huge improvement to the leveling experience and address many of the things you seem to think it falls short of for some reason. But, again, we'll see once it hits live and it has time to breath for a few months.
    • Like x 4
  12. Jamie New Player

But there have been several posts also saying that the PS3 was getting some graphics updates as well. I believe that I am in the majority of PS3 players that would prefer to have the graphics sacrificed in order to improve in game performance.I personally would rather deal with PS graphics if it meant that I never had to wait for things to load and the lag (induced by l;imitations in the PS3) eliminated.
    • Like x 1
  13. danielqpk New Player

not the slightest bit of exaggeration.

My 7 year old cousin took him 2 hours with many, many times calling me over the phone...
    My GF older brother 19 never figured out the Block breaker... still in the ship locked up never to return...

it depends on the player on their attentiveness and ability to learn...

like how it tells you that you have to hold triangle to Block break... many people ignore it since its not eye catching at all
  14. Magnificent Loyal Player

The phrase "graphics updates" doesn't always mean "bigger, prettier pictures", it can also mean performance enhancements (for a very rudimentary example: changing out a .tiff for a .jpg or .gif). More than likely this is what they meant as I am sure they realize the scope and breadth of the graphics issues on the PS3. Have a little faith, my friend ;)
    • Like x 1
  15. Remander Steadfast Player

Well, if you don't listen to the audio or pay attention to the text cues, I can see how there might be a problem. And, to be fair, my son started his first toon before that part of the tutorial was added.
    • Like x 1
  16. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I love those and I think they are even more important than new raids - because many never seem to ever see any raids.

About #2:
    What will be your ressources for that? Will you look at some of our guides to find good tips, that answer faq? (hint: I collected a huge amount of faq - the majority is still only available in German, cause translating is tiring)

About #3:
    Will that app be English-only again? Because then it won't be much of a help to many players in Europe or other parts of the world.
    I would love to see an easy way to find and access guides in other languages (German is one example: Guides exist, but they cannot be found via google o_O :()
    Depending on the answer, this could change the community on the Eruopean servers a lot - or not at all - or make it worse. (The recent we-voice-only-the-english-version-policy left a bad taste as well - don't make it worse)

edit:
    I also wanted to ask about the official Game Guide and if it will be updated. But it seems to be offline on the SOE-Site, I guess that there will be a new one with the new UI, right?
  17. SuperiorMouse New Player

see! potty mouth everywhere. reported! :p
    • Like x 1
  18. danielqpk New Player

it's not before, it's after.. i learned hoe to use block breaker and CC people 5 - 7 months after playing...

i ran into a kid today who lunged at me fell (i was blocking) and lunged several times again and again
  19. BadJade New Player

Some people will never be happy and feel left out.

Get the game to work on the ps4. The game isn't going anywhere. Patience is severly lacking these days.

The influx of players should and hopefully fix the apparently low villain side ps3.

Anyway get that sorted and then we can go back speculating on new content. I've been waiting since launch for high res textures and the ability to save respecs.
    • Like x 2
  20. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I totally agree.

BUt it'd be nice to have SOMETHING in game.

Look at the guides on the forums, you have a first page of a ton of information then pages and pages of most bickering with some gems of information throughout.

It's tough to pick out the gems.

When you do an alert or basically any instance your On Duty Menu becomes a scorecard. On that card there is an "info" tab that gives the genral info you see on your on duty menu.

What about another tab with helpful hints.

LIke I posted before, knowing to watch for flamethrowers and gas in Ace Chem would be a HUGE help, info like that could be added and help a ton.

Add some tip tools for the differnt roles as well.

And again, they don't even have to write these, just say you're going to do it and I know you'll have plenty of people giving tip suggestions to toss in there.

Asking people to visit the forums and read a few threads shouldn't be too much to ask, but after years of playing MMOs, I've realized to many people it is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.