Get your Rocks off -- Earth Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by 13igtyme, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Lacedog Loyal Player

Any one on test have any insight as to the animations and timing changes for earth? Tank and dps points of view?
  2. Remander Steadfast Player

I'm going to jump back on later this evening and test Earth, as well as Electricity. All I've heard so far is about the slowing of Jacks.
  3. Lacedog Loyal Player

me too, thats what i was curious about. how slow is it now, and is it that slow while in tank stance as well? thanks for looking into it.
  4. Dogico Loyal Player

Update 36 and dlc 10 will really make or break DC, kind of worried.
  5. 478874 Dedicated Player

Would you mind specifically testing Shards, Rumblecrush and Earthen Grip?
  6. Remander Steadfast Player

Quick jaunt on test. Jackhammer's first hit has a very slow "wind up." Feels awkward, like you're working up to it. Aftershocks are still quick, though. Interestingly, Upheaval aftershocks seemed faster, and the attack hit from max range, which I don't recall it doing. Could make it a better ranged option. Earthen Grip was supposedly slowed, but seems unchanged. Striking Stones also seemed the same. Shards felt faster. Will be back on in about an hour for more testing.
    • Like x 1
  7. Lacedog Loyal Player

thanks for looking. im mainly concerned with how this affects tanking, since im hoping the WIP thread brings major changes to the dps side. do you think based on testing upheaval would be better than jacks for aftershock tanks now?
  8. Remander Steadfast Player

No, better ranged option. It was also included in the target number change. Want to see if it will actually hit 8 from range. For tanking, Jacks and Upheaval have a similar wind up. Will have to choose your window more carefully. Just reinforces my feelings about hybrid tanking with Earth. You'll need a backup.
  9. Aspar Agus Well-Known Player

On Test:
    Jackhammer: Just under 2 seconds from cast to being able to block after one aftershock (<1/4 cooldown)
    Upheaval: Just over 2 seconds from cast to being able to block after one aftershock.. (>1/4 cooldown)

Aftershock tanking just wont be feasible in endgame PvE. You wont even be able to slip it into an immunity window on Sinestro if you knock him down. It just takes too long.
    • Like x 1
  10. Lacedog Loyal Player

this should obviously be brought up in the testing then. i cant, i pay for the wrong version of the game.
  11. Lacedog Loyal Player

the only thing to me that would make this ok, or tolerable, would be for any move to grant 50% absorption. maybe thats where they are heading?
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

OK, here's my take on Earth changes with GU 36. Overall, I think there are some good changes. Most of the animations are listed as speeding up.

The only ones listed as slowing are: Jackhammer, Earthen Grip, Stone, and Entomb. I didn't test Entomb, but EG and Stone seem pretty similar to live. Jackhammer, as I mentioned above has a much slowed first hit "wind up." Not terrible for DPS, but will make tanking interesting. Takes a couple of seconds to get back into block.

As for the rest, the changes all seem positive. Upheaval is noticably faster and hits everything in a narrow cone between you and max range. Did not confirm, but it's listed in the now hits 8, splits at 2. May be a good ranged DPS option now. Rumblecrush is also faster and clearly hits in a wide 360 AoE. I would pick it up and throw it at a dummy, and the dummy behind me would also take damage and get crushed PI. So, presumably, you can also apply the PI to 8 targets in range. I'd still prefer a dropped option, but super strength effectively doubles the damage of the thrown stone. Wouldn't get that with a dropped stone, I would assume. Shards is definitely faster. as is totem. Localized Tremor and Tectonic Break seem marginally faster. Both are mid-range 360 AoE, and TB applies dazed to 8 targets in range. Back top the tanking side, Gemstone Shield is now ridiculously fast. Very nice.

So, that's my summary. Questions are welcome.
  13. Remander Steadfast Player

Yeah, will have to have another option, like pet and damage shift, PDF.
  14. Lacedog Loyal Player

great info. my only request is the tank issue with jackhammer be brought up in the testing threads. preferably until a green name says something one way or the other. the only thing i currently like about earth is the tanking side, aftershock tanking specifically. if they change the dps side to work better, but take jacks away for tanks im gonna be ticked.
  15. Aspar Agus Well-Known Player

I posted a thread just now. Hopefully we'll hear back from a developer.
    • Like x 2
  16. Lacedog Loyal Player

thank you
  17. Cold Lava Active Player

Is there any video on gu 36 earth, especially concerning with jackhammer? All I find are hl, gadget, celestial and rage.
  18. Remander Steadfast Player

Don't really need video for Jacks. Just picture the first punch into the ground occurring after a pause. Your toon gets in position, pauses, then strikes the ground. Aftershocks are as fast as on live, though.

EDIT: The reason you don't see Earth videos is because so few of us run Earth, lol!
  19. xxxpervysage New Player

Just switched from hard light to earth was wondering what others are doing for DPS.
  20. 13igtyme Devoted Player

You can't use both anymore. Before you could and jackhammer would override damage shift for 12 seconds of +7.25% absorption, but they changed it when they changed the descriptions. Now you can spam jackhammer till the cows come home, but you'll be stuck with 43.25% absorption till brick dies.

After reading the changes, I now have a definitive answer to my question of whether I will continue playing this game or not. Bye everyone.