Few Thoughts On the Current Content and The Future.. (TL : DR Warning)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SigmaAtom, Apr 24, 2020.

1. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Hi Guys

I have played the new BOP DLC.. and I enjoyed it. My friends however have blasted it and stopped logging.. I told one friend 'y'know.. *anything* they would have done would have been a step down after such a big event as the Metal Crisis.. so we went street level so they could build it up again..' I *did* feel OW BOP Metro was the least amount of work that could be done.. it's just a clean version of Metro they have *probably* had since before Beta (I've seen a clean version in very old videos.. minus the Brainiac and other destruction).. but I enjoyed the OW missions.. especially Harley's Pet Safari hehe.. idk what the mission is *actually* called.

The Alert.. wow that feels like a straight up elite Alert, I really enjoyed fighting Amazo; I thought it was a well put together boss fight.. I haven't done Fire & Brimstone yet.. but I enjoyed Clock Tower raid. The solo.. my initial impressions; felt like a copy and paste of the Bruno Mannheim (under) level 30 mission with some new mobs.

The Future..

We see that in BOP Metro.. we are post-Brainiac. I *think* this is the first time we have seen this since Death of Superman.. and only the second time in the game as a whole.

The first post I ever made on these forums (the old forums) was to ask to open up Central City.. this was in 2012. IIRC I wrote a whole post about an opened up Central City and Superboy Prime attacking CC.. but Pro7 came and accounts were moved..

I digress slightly.. We know that the Brainiac threat has passed; once can be a mistake or a fluke, two is a pattern..

Could we be getting OW 'clean' Metro and Gotham?.. more importantly, I would still love to see Central City opened up.. with player bases and content. If not a clean Gotham.. why couldn't get an unbottled/clean South Gotham as say Star City with minor tweaks?

I'd like to see one new City a year and then that city cut up for the rest of the year.. while in the background they make another new city for the next year. Little Bohemia/South Gotham sized city..and just tell the stories they want to tell with that setting..

While I did like seeing Metro City Hall without the Lantern debris.. just recycling Metro.. man! You could have made Star City and done the OW missions there with the Clock Tower (raid) still being in Gotham.. look at the BOP team.. four are from Gotham and one Star City.. what are they doing in Metro?* This wasn't the perfect time to introduce Star City.. but it was a good opportunity.

The Pet update..

I welcomed it and even artifacted (200) the Grimorum Velum on the now three pet powers..

My impressions.. I tested the pets on lower OW raid bosses @ 292 cr. Sometimes randomly.. imho they felt too sedate, would just stand about doing nothing, their defence wasn't what I was expecting.. good at times but then..

If it were me, I'd up their defence by another 10%. It wasn't until I got to OW Bizarro they did any significant damage and didn't get hit so hard.. OW Raven was OK.. but this is at 292 cr. I tested Turret, Crystal and Fury.. too often I found Turret would just either stand around or take too much damage for it's cr when active.. but then I went and tried Crystal.. she too was taking a lot of damage I hadn't noticed before.. I even wondered if they had the HL defence bug.. I will say this seemed random.. Turret did well against Titans Robot. iirc.. Fury did less well against Titans Robot and died quickly, but his reduction in health seemed 'normal'. idk whats going on there.. OW Ultraman could pretty much 2 shot Turret..

[I tested them against.. Titans Robot; OW E3; Raven GWL; Bizarro, Little Bohemia]

Maybe I haven't understood how Turret works..? I mean.. the hologram gives him a defence buff.. right?? So.. its acts like Offering and Fortify Golem (non PI) giving your pet a boost (of *some* description). right?

Perhaps the 'sedate' thing.. is an ongoing problem?.. I have seen that in the henchmen for months now.. they often stand about doing nothing. This is shown most clearly with BOP OW Metro Meta bounty.. when he teleports you and your henchmen stand about doing nothing for 3+ (?) seconds.. been seeing this since Christmas.. they come to you and just stand there like nothing is going on.

Overall..

I'm pretty happy with the game.. and I realize morale is going to sag after the Metal Crisis, that's not the Devs fault, was always going to happen. Cutting up Metro.. that could have been avoided. While it might seem impossible to the Devs.. 'mind boggling' might be a better term.. it actually *is* possible to to keep the happy times rolling.. and my solution is to have the one new city a year I spoke of.

I actually don't mind going to different locations and using old locations.. with one large.. I feel obvious caveat; there has to be new cities to be used in the future.. the promise is DC Universe Online.. not Gotham and Metropolis Online..

Peace

Sigma

----------------------
    *I am aware Lex is the bad guy for the DLC. He's a Metro guy. I get it. But it felt like an excuse to put the LexCorp tower in something.
  2. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Always wanted a mission inside Lex Corp, now we got one.
    • Like x 1
  3. Toshknight Loyal Player

they add a lot of episodes to this game now... i just figured out since i take month long breaks at a time. i missed like 4 dlcs . and went back to do Doomed metro. and that era , Since they aren't giving us Full DLCs anymore.

i wish they would have finished the War of the Light series by giving part 3 in full and halls of power 3. but we got episodes of the chopped content. i was kinda pissed about that cause we didn't get everything they were going to do in each. At the same time. this game is 9 years and change old.. and a MMO.

its an SOE game. aka daybreak, This dev team gave us SWG , Everquest 1 and 2, planetside F$#% they are a developer team that has always delivered on what they are suppose to and allowed to do at the best they can. we have gotten way more in a 9 year old mmo , then some newer mmos that fail in less then a year. im greatful .

i know its easy to get pissed, i feel like the 3 missions in Bop are weak as hell... way too short and easy, but hey... we got the alert/challenge and raid.. its more content. im just along for the ride. and when it comes to an end.. that will be that. im just glad we have a good dc mmo.

anyway just wanted to put my 1 cent in
  4. Pinky Well-Known Player

The Teen Titans Episode still ranks as my all-time favorite Episode released to-date. Why? Because it has witty dialogue, awesome cutscenes, and original environment art. Metal part 1 and part 2 were too dark for my liking.

BoP isn't too bad - I like the introduction of Amazo to us in the alert by Jimmy. Interesting back-and-forth dialogue between characters is what makes these type of interactions memorable to me as a player in DCUO.

I think overall its a job well done on Birds of Prey by the dev team.

The ORCL base items were a nice touch, I especially liked the Large Clocktower Window in my base, as it gives a glimpse into the city nightlife from your base.

Thanks devs - I really appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing behind the scenes.
  5. inferno Loyal Player

I think the Devs did a great job on the DLC. New skins that were shown and also retrofitted ones we've been asking for i.e. Superman. Even though is over ten years old and overhauling the graphics of the game would be a massive undertaking and likely never occur, I like that they have decided to overhaul characters as they are used in the DLC, eventually and hopefully reaching all the NPCs. Amazo! How long have we been asking for that, even going through original digital files of old unused characters.

All instances with brand new Maps!! What a complete change from a few years ago, when we always got re-hashed maps with maybe 1 or 2 new maps in every dlc. I will say that Atlantis set a very high bar with what we got but I think the Devs have done a great job trying to match it with every dlc.

Mechanics and cooperation. I have never seen such concentration on ensuring that groups communicated and observed the mechanics of instances, even at the solo level. New mechanics such as in the batman-who-laughs fight with red death and Merciless, to the Robins grounding and transportation of metal. To Ivy's fight with the two pods and crowd controlling the ads in there; the card game. Blue and Red, AoE pool placements in Clocktower raid and sooo much more.

I was not very enthusiastic about an episode about the Birds of Prey, I just was never interested even in the comics but this content really turned me around.

When I see all these changes and many more that the devs have done, a lot of these things we requested from a few years back, and I see comments that DCUO is dying or the DeVS don't have pride in their work; I just shake my head. Because I do see pride, care, and meticulous planning, hard work and talent.

My apologies to the devs that I don't bother to speak out against such comments and dfefend them since they are too numerous and futilely useless.

It's not perfect. There are thing I would have loved to be different such as harley's voice, the lag that's more prevalent than before and in more areas, the broker and dc economy. I would really love to have more ways to get Superman styles and emblems. There are things I want but from what I have seen and experienced I am satisfied and content with the improvements in dcuo.
  6. SigmaAtom Committed Player

Thanks for the replies.. I enjoyed reading them even if I didn't agree.

I feel.. the outpouring of <3's for the Devs.. that I should react.. but balance first..

Working in an MMO is the 'hard mode' of being a games developer.. often dedicated demanding fans.. all like baby chicks screaming for attention and.. parental love? but no; passionate fans if an MMO is lucky enough to have them... are the correct words to use.. Passionate fans ready to invest in their hobby, have new experiences and make new friends. And providing for those fans takes a dumper truck of dedication on the part of the Developers.. other Devs go away for four years work on something, then move on to something else fresh.. hand people the world they built and let the publisher deal with any aftermarket support.

Not so for MMO Devs.. if you aren't at least involved in the community you created with your game.. you will miss something and that community will fracture.

Making a DLC within 3 and half months is a significant achievement.. but then we come to the other side of this balance..

What is it that's being built here?

Is it comic book episodes you can play?.. if it is.. then this is the first moment this has ever occured to me that was the goal.. after playing since 2011. I always assumed the goal was to build a universe.. because it's in the title of the game itself.

Perhaps the name was poorly chosen or for the time correct, but now knowing what the game is.. is over exaggerated..

Up until that moment a few seconds ago.. from the moment I begun DCUO.. I sat there with a plate and knife and fork and expected a 'Universe'..

wow.. the realization deepens.. they had no intent in building a Universe, but instead giving us playable comic books.

I need to think on some things now.. reevaluate.. because I spend a fortune in this game, and the idea a Universe isn't coming.. and just playable comics.. I need to reassess what this means to me.