Episode frequency - time for a change? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheLQ-DCUO, Jun 27, 2021.

1. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

We haven't been paying for the content essentially for the past 3 or 4 DLCs dating back to march of last year. We've basically just been paying for normal loot locks since open episodes. While yes you could still purchase the episodes in the MP im willing to bet they arent a big seller hence going the free route. Which is why I'm not worried. The content has already been essentially free for a long time. Im willing to bet they understand the importance of creating engaging quality content.
    • Like x 1
  2. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I guess you're right, it's just crazy talk. Like that time I thought they were going use old content with iconic characters for pointlessly repetitive feats.
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

I would assert you are simply scaremongering good sir ;)
  4. Proxystar #Perception

lol
  5. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Get some new material.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Imo there should only be one version of the raid. Just make it so hard that you cannot beat it until you’ve grinded gear from the duos / alerts and gotten a few pieces of the vendor gear.

But thats just my opinion.
    • Like x 2
  7. zNot Loyal Player

If the difficulty is that of Paradox/nexus ill agree.
  8. Proxystar #Perception

No you really are just scaremongering.

Take for example my post, where I mentioned Origin Crisis your rebuttal of that was simply to say "it's not relevant, because the game was younger".. I mean with respect that is such a poorly thought out rebuttal it isn't even funny.

Let's take a more recent example Justice League Dark which also lasted for 5 months and 2 weeks, so 5.5 months - guess which episode came second in the episode competition during the 10th anniversary ladder... I'll give you a clue, just kidding you shouldn't need a clue...

[IMG]

Do you think perhaps the longer duration of the DLC along with the general overall quality of the content had anything to do with that?

By all means though continue to tell everyone that we need more content to keep the population stable despite the fact you have two examples right there (Origin Crisis and Justice League Dark) showing you the exact opposite is true in terms of player satisfaction.

The reality is the quality of the content and the duration of the content quite easily arguably have a direct impact on player satisfaction.

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  9. Apollonia Dedicated Player

We found something we can agree on finally. I also speculated about this in a back-and-forth with Proxystar (if they're liking your post now I guess they finally agree with us) iirc, a few weeks back. I agree, if DLCs were driving their profits they wouldn't be going free. The fact that they're going free is a pretty good indicator they were a small enough portion of their profits that they were willing to lose it. I'll go further (think I said this in the post I was referring to too) and say memberships probably also aren't big profit drivers or they wouldn't be willing to risk those by making DLCs free. TCs are almost certainly their most profitable offering.

To your last point; for sure. I mean, I hope so by this point. I think the disconnect OP is struggling with is the bugs in that content being more than they believe is acceptable. This will be subjective from player to player. Personally I don't have a problem with the bugs in the game and notice very few, if any at all, which are not game breaking.
    • Like x 1
  10. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Lol

Great, cite two dlcs that both led to massive drop offs in population, one of which was also riddled with bugs.

Great examples.
    • Like x 1
  11. zNot Loyal Player

So it the dlcs fault if it has bugs even if the actual content was good? Theres a reason why the top voted episodes in the bracket list have so many things in common age of justice,JLD,origin crisis
  12. Proxystar #Perception

So in other words you've got nothing of substance in return. duly noted.
  13. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Your "substance" is an unreliable poll. You can put your head in the sand regarding the extreme population dips due to OC and post (bug-filled)JLD but let's not pretend you're presenting anything even remotely substantive lmao
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

a poll whether allegedly unrealiable or otherwise is more than your hearsay evidence of "but omg people left cause I say so" ;)
  15. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

lol it's well documented and confirmed by former devs that OC did in fact cause a population dip. As for JLD, the population drop off was painfully obvious as the months ticked on until M1. But by all means, continue to ignore reality because you don't like it. You do you boo ;)
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

And there comes the condescending insult tacked in at the end when you realise the points your attempting to debate with lack real substance.

As I pointed out earlier, if you'd bothered to read, is that I know people left during Origin Crisis, so there's no there's no denial of that on my part, I however, did say, that it had nothing to do with the length of the DLC in fact the longevity of the DLC experience and quality of content was its saving grace and some of the only things stopping the population of tanking completely.

People left during Origin crisis for other reasons, it was the period for example the develooers starting playing with the combat system, people also left because they simply couldn't hang with the content difficulty, if anything it's difficult content with this games population that drives the players away, not the persistence of content.

In terms of JLD I've seen little evidence in any meaningful effect on the population level, if anything it was more popular, people constantly cite the quality of those elite raids, the only issue in that DLC is the seeming incapability some players have to skillfully press the jump button. ;)
    • Like x 2
  17. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Nicely worded post :)

I don't know if more content = better content personally. I think players who want more content aren't in the same category as players who want better content. That's kinda the discussion and we have two sides to that argument. It would be great if both sides could win and we got more content AND better content, but over the last 2 years of playing DCUO I'm not as convinced this will happen.

We need a bigger dev team whichever way it goes, so bugs can get fixed faster and ideally have a QA team behind the scenes to test content. The number of bugs is not only unacceptable but either take a long time to get fixed, never get fixed, or increasingly the devs will cut corners to work around the bug. Example being the collection rewards for the recent time capsule.

In terms of other points made in this thread, it might be best at this stage to wait and see what announcements might be made in the not too distant future, and then discuss from there. Otherwise we will continue to go around in circles and the thread will derail fast.
  18. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

It's fun to watch you call others condescending when your whole schtick is being exactly that ;)

Anyway, you're reaching very hard to make your posts make sense and have turned to an unreliable poll in order to "win" this argument. (Btw, I don't care about that at all. I DO care about the population of the game falling off). You brought up OC and JLD as some kind of high water marks with your "evidence" being an unreliable poll. I simply pointed out that we had population dips with both ;)
    • Like x 1
  19. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

It's probably best at this stage if this thread was locked and we await news on what is coming next for the game. Then we can focus our discussions on that.

Plenty of good points made in this discussion on both sides of the argument.
    • Like x 1
  20. Proxystar #Perception

Theres a difference between coming across as condescending within an argument and being condescending through the use of an insult, I would've had no issue with the former, but you chose the latter, so I called it out.

You lose credibility when you stoop to personal insults like using "pet names" when your intent behind using it isn't in endearment, but rather an attempt to denigrate.

There are allegations the poll was manipulated in the final result. I.e which one deserved to win not realistically the competition as a whole outside also the last laugh/legion trolling clearly two DLCs that were never going to affect the result in any case.

The reality is irrespective of our view regarding the result between those final two, those final two were there for a reason, a similarity as well I've rightfully pointed out in this thread, you can bury your head in the sand all you like, it won't help and making entirely unsubstantiated claims about your perception of population drops won't change the reality either ;)