Enough is enough: What's being done about speed hackers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by STsource, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Proxystar #Perception

Layoffs that possibly occurred as a result of management not knowing the importance of the role. :)
    • Like x 3
  2. BumblingB I got better.

Or higher ups just seeing numbers and not longevity.
    • Like x 2
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I think you’re missing a part of it. That is, that they literally spam advertisements for speedhacking “services” in LFG, Trade, Shout, etc. It’s one thing for someone to commit a crime and not get caught by the police. It’s entirely another thing to commit said crime loudly, visibly and boldy in the middle of Times Square at noon on a Sunday and get away with it.
    • Like x 3
  4. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I imagine if such an “accomplice” policy were put in to place it would be heavily announced/communicated, there would be quite a bit of time between the initial announcement and the effective date so to let the word spread and also probably a soft grace period where first time offenders get a stern warning and very clear communication on the new policy. I highly doubt it would be rolled out in draconian fashion.
    • Like x 2
  5. nawanda Loyal Player

Nobody is suggesting people get punished in circumstances like that. We are talking about the subhuman scum who WILFULLY group with these people.
  6. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

One would hope, but there is already a precedent for draconian actions. Being banned due to guilt by association, which such actions are, is very unfair. You or I could innocently random queue into a raid where a speed hacker does his thing, and bam! We are all banned from the game for who knows how long.

Such measures would discourage anyone from ever blind queuing into any content ever again, which would be very, very detrimental to the ecosystem of this game. I know I would stop.
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I don’t recall there being any major changes to TOS and violators of said changes getting banned from the get go. What happened that set this precedent and when did it occur?

I’m pretty sure if you leave the instance pretty quickly from the time it becomes apparent there is a speed hacker you wouldn’t get banned at any point. They do require video proof and said video would show who left and who stayed. The only grey area where I see any ambiguity is if people stayed for the whole run but didn’t gain anything meaningful out of it. As in, no feats were gained and either no loot or relatively meaningless loot (they’re already max renown, full elite gear, maxed OP gear, etc). Or if it was an instance that starts at a boss fight and the speed hacker kills the boss in three seconds and feats pop before any unknowing participants can assess what’s going on and take appropriate action (leaving instance). I could see people getting banned and pushing back since they didn’t benefit or have reasonable time to leave before they did. But the former is avoidable by simply leaving and the latter is a pretty rare circumstance.
  8. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I thought the whole feeding anything into arts / augments back in December and the fallout from that set the precedence. Didn't a lot of people get banned for weeks after that?
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

It’s always been against TOS to use exploits to gain more XP than is clearly intended. People knew what they were doing was against the rules and could bring about consequences. Most were probably thinking the devs don’t bother policing stuff like that so the risk would be very low. Or something to that effect.

That kind of circles back to the point I was making in my first post. When people are able to freely spam announcements of speed hacking in the most utilized, widespread chat, it gives people the impression that there is little to no effort being put forth to stop it which only entices more people to partake in the shenanigans.
    • Like x 2
  10. BumblingB I got better.

To make a response to above, you don't need video proof. All the necessary information would be in the logs that a GM can view. If there is not enough information, a GM can shadow the player reported to catch them in the act. In the case of a person leaving early, it would be in the logs as well.

The reason I was asking Mepps is because of they add an automated system to detect can result in problems. Really, more CS would fix a lot of issues now. In game GMs especially.
    • Like x 2
  11. C3alix Committed Player

THIS.

Too many people keep thinking dropping a few lines of "count attack input" will stop them. If that were the case, then every online game would have the same strategy.
    • Like x 2
  12. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That’s why I suggested making a frame counter to detect players going below the frame limit of moves. That way if a speed hacker tries to hack they instantly get detected and get banned. So even if they make a new account they will just trigger it again. And unlike manual reports from players, a hacker wouldn’t be able to lower the settings enough to go under the radar since it would be looking at the frames per attack .
    • Like x 1
  13. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I’d laugh if they had the SM reset and their money reset too xD but a ban would be more effective
  14. BumblingB I got better.

If the devs are capable of making and implementing something like, sure, why not? But I think you are overestimating what is possible with the game itself. I think this would require a bigger update than rebuilding the combat system.
  15. RTX Well-Known Player

What exactly do you mean by "frame counter"?

So far i can only guess that you mean rendered frames? However the count of that only changes if you would use API Speedhack. For example: The game runs at 60 frames and you go to slow down the process with API Speedhack divided by 10 (0.1 of normal speed) then you would end up with 600 frames, opposite would reduce frame count, however the "real" processed frames will stay same, you only going to "tell the frame counter" to count frames in different time steps, obviously the person wouldnt have 600 fps its 600 frames per 10 seconds and vice versa.

While mathematicly you could use that to detect API Speedhack, it would have no effect whatsoever when removing weapon delays, since the speed basicly coming from macros (click speed, if you could click that fast it would be same) Meaning that there isn´t a "speed change" in frames, only faster hits to the target.

Edit: The speed when using (No delay + Macros) pretty much depends on the processing power of their PC´s, since obviously they might all set the macro script to click in 1ms periods, there shouldn´t be any hardware capable of doing that. Some handle 20ms others might only 40ms, leading to one hacker beeing half as powerful as the other (if stats etc. are same)
  16. thedemonocus Loyal Player

This is a good idea but it should not be applied to random Qs cause you don't get to pick your team.
    • Like x 1
  17. Proxystar #Perception

You don't even necessarily have to ban players that run with speed hackers just remove their ill gotten gains.

People won't run with them if they know its futile, they run with them to get things done, feats, get loot etc. If those rewards are removed from all players within a speed hack instance irrespective of whether or not they were the ones hacking then they won't run with them.
    • Like x 1
  18. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

True, but if I in good faith random queue into a raid, and a speed hacker does his thing and the raid is over before we can even do anything, why are we going to get punished and have to use a replay to re-run the raid to get our loot?

I’m basing this on my experience with a speed hacker during the Summer Event with Aquaman and Ocean Master. By the time the cut scene was over so was the mission and guy was gone.

Under the proposed solutions the innocent get punished just as badly as the guilty. This is what I want to avoid.
    • Like x 3
  19. GermanM Committed Player

Traduction:

So we will not have a strong solution in the short - middle term from the dev´s team.

Have fun with cheaters.

P.D: Yeah i know is hard messing with the game code and all... but still sucks and is sad for the community.
    • Like x 1
  20. Tolly Committed Player

this problem will always remain a plague as long as it is not tackled at the source...