Enough is enough: What's being done about speed hackers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by STsource, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Proxystar #Perception

Oranges and apples.

The people being referred to are those that make the letters visually indistinguishable in game and that is their intent.

Naming yourself LiLi is clearly different from naming yourself lIlI, despite them being the same word, but using the lower case and upper case letters to obscure the name to others.

I suspect you know this though.
    • Like x 5
  2. GermanML New Player

If i find a player named IIIIIIIIIIIIILXIIIIIIIIIII or something similar i would probably leave the instance.
  3. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

What is it that motivates these speed hackers to cheat? Understanding their motivations might lead to constructive countermeasures the Company can take to thwart this behavior.
    • Like x 1
  4. ItsMeAgain Active Player

Mainly because of two things the stat clamp and to much broken content. A lot of the ones I come across always say it's bs and they're like "F it, they wanna clamp my hard work and nerf down my burn then I will get it else where" and also complain about how they don't care about the game and just keep bringing out content, but never put effort into fixing the prior stuff. Like PVP for instance, they just basically said F it I ain't fixing that bs. Run across a speeder and ask and those are the main two things they keep saying.
    • Like x 2
  5. GermanM Committed Player

As you might see during Suvirval mode, they sell their "services" to finish instances fast and get hard feat´s, also they farm instances to get rare items to sell.
    • Like x 2
  6. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

I might agree that was a main motivation, if the speedhackers hadn't existed years before the clamp. Happens in other games that have no clamp too.

Some people are just lowlife scum, who like to cheat because they think it makes them superior. Losers.
    • Like x 4
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

This problem seems to have grown exponentially in the past few months. This past summer, I ran into my first one in June, after 11 years of playing. I then started bumped into a couple in July and August. This past September, I'm now coming across them weekly. All with ridiculous toon names that are difficult to report, you know the ones, they look like barcodes.

I don't get what enjoyment people get out of these hacks.
    • Like x 2
  8. GermanM Committed Player

Although these invisible characters and barcodes can be used to make names with more than one space (or at least that's what it seems) it is undeniable that they are used by speed hackers. Devs should seriously think about in not allow the creation of toon´s with those names, rename existing ones and submit name changes so they choose names that are "reportable" in case they fall for fraudulent activities.
    Will fix the problem? No, but could help a lot.
    • Like x 1
  9. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

The easiest answer I can think of is, "because they can." Some people enjoy it and feel a boost in confidence when they get away with it on a regular basis, to the point of being complacent and "insist" that speed hacking is part of the game mechanics. This is unacceptable and disrespectful, as many players level up and gear up their characters legitimately to participate in challenging content.

The name generator needs to be looked at; some games do not allow names that have more than 2 of the same letter in succession, capital or lowercase and no more than 2 vowels/two consonants together in a single name. For example, if you wanted to have the number 333 in your character name that would not happen; you would have to use 33Three instead. These cheaters have learned that putting multiple letters that look the same together is harder for other players to report and have taken advantage of that.

Another issue is the allowance of many multiple accounts on a single machine: why? At this point, technology is much more available to many more households than ever before; do MMO's really need to allow people to make hundreds of accounts on one machine? In my opinion, no. The devs should consider limiting the amount of accounts for one machine, VPN or otherwise, just like many software companies have; 5 accounts per machine should be enough for most players.

Speed hackers/spammers/scammers take advantage of games that freely allow many multiples of accounts on one machine; if one account gets banned they can just queue up another. Putting this type of limit per machine will force those cheaters to limit their log-ins and/or eventually move to easier targets.
    • Like x 1
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club