Devs, I'm kicking dead horse?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pale Rage, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

With some new faces and fresh meat to the Dev team, let's talk PVP.

Can we expect anything to happen here? Balancing PVP out, making it popular again, or perhaps you'll just grant everyone the pvp feats?

Personally, I'd like to see pvp make a comeback!
    • Like x 11
  2. GhostRyder3000 Dedicated Player

LETTING PvP DIE WAS A HUGE MISTAKE.

Any mistake getting corrected is a good thing.
    • Like x 6
  3. FluffyCloud99 Committed Player

Remove from instanced pvp arenas:
    -Artifacts from PvP
    -Episodic Augments
    -Allies

Open world:
    -Anything goes

Change in all PvP scenarios:
    -All roles get base stats
    -SP and Mentor augments the only way to increase stats
    -Force DPS in 1v1 and 2v2. Roles only available in 4v4+
    -Increase toughness on armour
    -Give all PvP gear a specifc stat to penetrate toughness
    -Any one without this stat ^ should not be able to damage people with max toughness.
    -PvE armour should not overpower PvP armour in ANY circumstances
    -Reduce Troll debuff effectiveness against players (Instead of say 30%, make it 15%)
    • Like x 1
  4. ItsMeAgain Well-Known Player

One huge factor that has to be addressed if they did get back on the PVP wagon is to take care of the broken power Mental! It is outta control and is way out balanced.
    • Like x 1
  5. Emoney Dedicated Player

I'd say, only DPS role in all PVP arenas. Unless they revert it back to rock paper scissors formula.

No shields
    No Supercharges
    No PVE artifacts (perhaps make PVP arts to fund changes)
    No PVE Allies (Create PVP Allies)

NO GEAR! Gear in PVP was always a silly concept. It is the number one cause of imbalance and deters new players from facing seasoned players with full gear. No one wants to play in that scenario, unless you're the person in full gear.

Instead of Gear as rewards via marks, create a reward vendor with cosmetics like styles, auras, materials, accessories and supplies like Nth Metal, Ally favor and stabilizer fragments purchaseable with PVP marks.

New feats
    New Maps

Add a Win/Loss tracker that can be seen on our own personal stat page, and when players inspect us.
    • Like x 2
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

Also, no weapons! And no powers! No combos! All slap fights all the time!
    • Like x 3
  7. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Bring back RPS and glass cannons. And fix what they did to my favorite instance the Moon. More objective based maps instead of pew pew.
  8. L T Devoted Player

There are a ton of gamers who play PvP games primarily if not exclusively. By abandoning PvP, DCUO has isolated a LOT of potential players. Players who would very likely be throwing a couple of bucks into time capsules every once in a while to get cool styles. I could see custom emotes being very popular with hard-core PVP players.

I feel one of the things DCUO got really wrong with PvP was stats progression. PvP fights have to be fair or there isn't much point. With that in mind, the above idea of restricting some PVP interactions to DPS-only could go a long way towards balancing things.
    • Like x 2
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

While I care little about the rest, no new feats or maps to 'FIX' PvP. Once it's fixed....sure a new map sounds great, but seeing as all it ever does when they use feats to drive traffic is cause a stampede of all the people who are currently 'done' with something, then it just ends up as another inaccessible feat to add to the pile of them we already have.

Dangling a feat in front of us to drive us to run something we'd otherwise NOT run doesn't do anything to 'fix' that content. Fix things without the feats being the only reason we'd run it....THEN add some feats if you want.
    • Like x 1
  10. Grim931 Committed Player

Agreed, objective based game modes are always a plus.

I wish they would also do more with the open world PvP. Maybe have special PvP modes that would place players in that environment (similar to the PvE Operations, but placing PvP restrictions on the zone). I don't know if they could lock everyone out of combat from anyone outside the instance (similar to what a Duel does, just no visual?).

I just think it would be cool to have wide open combat that would utilize the bigger maps, and take place across a wider range. Implementing more diverse game modes is always a plus, and overall balance should be a priority.

Speaking of balance, maybe make PvP modes that are able to mix Legends characters (for those with minimal gear/new to PvP, accessibility is always a challenge it seems) and Original Characters in the same mode. Have one team iconics, with an objective, and the OC's trying to stop them. Themed modes would probably be best (maybe recreating DC storylines?), certain maps/certain teams (hero/villain locked?) have access to certain characters. It could potentially be mismatched sides, depending on the Legends character and how strong it should be thematically. Kind of like the offset 4v1 modes that other games have. Whoever controls the iconic character would be a bounty, and if they fulfill enough objectives before being defeated, they could either get stronger or unlock CPU allies to even the playing field for the Legends character.

On the flip side, they could be reversed in terms of power. For example, someone could control a Kryptonian Iconic, and the only way to stop them would be for the OC's to gather hidden Kryptonite stashes around the map. So they start off strong, and then get progressively weaker instead.

Just thoughts, the point is there is a ton of things they could be doing to make PvP absolutely incredible. They have probably the best source material available in terms of creativity and established lore... they just need to use it.
  11. Aiden_Warren Well-Known Player

DCUO is Unreal Engine 3
    PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X, Nintendo Switch, PC

It's alot of work and coding and networking for those platforms as they are not the same for development coding.
    It's 4X times the work and networking. Unreal Engine 3 takes alot of work.
    Devs haven't switch it over to Unreal Engine 4.
    So in a way, it's like trying to add Unreal Engine 4 improved compatibilities onto Unreal Engine 3
    Back then, Consoles were in that data, and developers and games and enhancements moved onto Unreal Engine 4.
    Other Systems in console data and networking data also have changed to be more optimized for Unreal Engine 4, leaving unreal engine 3 obsolete.
    Using more heavy data and cache and systems design and likely can go over Unreal Engine 3's Maximum Capacity.

The idea why DCUO has to closed PlayStation 3. It wasn't able to handle it over time.
    Unreal Engine 3 can do a lot but it's far from Unreal Engine 4 Capacity.

As in say Facebook App and Facebook Messenger App, it takes up a Gig and Messenger take sup close to a Gig, back then, the apps was no more than 200MB and gonna have to use older versions on older phones such as iPhone 5 and lower and Samsung Galaxy s5 and lower.
    They can improve pvp as for the quality of the content but it can use up more data as well as more networking data.
    Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, PC don't use the same coding development
    As like Apple and Android are different data and their servers data not running off the same Server box.
    PvP can be done on Unreal Engine 3 and improve on the quality of it. But the platforms is going to take work to refresh and update it to run on the latest platforms. Can be done but it's alot of work and digging up old stuff and replacing it with the updated data.

Unreal Engine 3 DCUO wasn't getting more difficult on PS3 and getting lag. And different work of coding.

It can be done but it's gonna be a lot of work and updating PvP obsolete data. It's running the way it is now. Old versions content.
  12. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

PvP never seemed broken to me.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just the queues lol. Entire groups getting stuck because smaller groups in queue taking priority and what-not.
  13. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Sadly.... already just balancing PvE seems to be beyond the Devs' ability.

There is no way they can balance PvE and PvP.

When they try to balance PvP they break PvE.....
    And seeing how the huge majority or players play PvE..... better to just focus on PvE.

Destiny has similar issues.... They have a hard time trying to please both PvE and PvP players.
    You could think they are following in the footsteps on DCUO and focus more on PvE??
    Heck we see the same complaints from PvP Destiny players then we see here on DCUO.

Heck Overwatch 2 just gave up on PvE because they cannot make it work with their PvP component..... or something like that.

Don't get me wrong.... I loved PvP wayyyyy back when.
    But doing both is just beyond what the Devs can do.

Not an insult to the Devs.....
    other games with other Devs cannot pull it off either.
    • Like x 1
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Forget kicking a dead horse. This is desecrating a horses grave that has long been covered in overgrown weeds.
    • Like x 3
  15. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

What if it's a vampire horse? It could still come back! However, probably just as much a fantasy as them resurrecting PvP.
    • Like x 2
  16. kallader Committed Player

For me when they remove the Pvp from the world option was a proof Pvp will never return
  17. Owlman 2 Well-Known Player

NO FREE PVP FEATS.
    • Like x 1
  18. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

In that we can agree on. If they weren't possible to obtain, then maybe, but they are...
  19. Grip Committed Player

I'm on board with doing something with PvP. Maybe that thing could be consolidating the play mode into something more manageable that's siloed from the far more mainstream PvE, its toys, gear system, etc. The tendency is to propose bigger plans, but devs, imho players who wanna battle in arenas would be pretty happy to see any level of PvP revival as opposed to watching the mode horse decay live on our On Duty menus. Doing Mxy's Metro for a couple weeks and seeing the lanterns near Lexcorp being completely ignored hurt a little, too. Streamline the content and offer completely optional new rewards maybe? Obvs something to consider down the road as I'm sure the new team has their hands full at this point.

Thanks for your thread, bud :) It's not just you...
  20. Emoney Dedicated Player

Well, that's why I put those two at the bottom of the list, implying they do all the other suggestions first. I wasn't implying only adding new maps, or only adding new feats would be a fix....it was meant to be a complete list of suggestions.

For the first two years of this game, all I did was PVP. I even started on a PVP only server. It's what I loved about this game. My league was also only about arenas. It's a huge loss for this game with it not being played. I mean here we are in a comic book world, and heroes don't fight villains?!? Every dlc is heroes working with villains to take on a bigger threat?!? The devs need to restore that pvp aspect, it's really what this game should be focused on, and I think new players kinda expect it when this game is advertised as playing as a hero or villain.

The biggest reason PVP became broken is power creep. Our characters were far less powerful the first two years. Balancing PVP back then was far easier. That's why I'm suggesting rolling back most of all the extras. And dividing the two modes. Eliminating gear means our base stats would be the main factor in PVP, and then PVE gear would still allow us to progress stats in PVE.
    • Like x 1