DCUO Has Eighteen Million Players

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MrMigraine, Aug 20, 2014.

1. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Many props for the mathy bits. Those are the numbers that have been rolling around in my head as well, so it's nice to know that there are others who are seeing the same trends based on the bits of information we've been given. Algebra really is useful! :D
    • Like x 4
  2. MoreAwesomeMechanic New Player

Yes but they said 2% of the population beat round 1 and if 38000 beat round 1 that puts the active population at 1.9 million not the 18 million stated. Of that 1.9 million, based on the numbers the article gives, 1.4 million are on console and about 440,000 are on pc. That is what we can tell from the SM numbers that were given by the devs. 18 million is 10x the actual number.
    • Like x 3
  3. xColdFront Committed Player

No no no it has 18,000,000 million in game characters created.
    • Like x 1
  4. xColdFront Committed Player

It's 18 million created characters in game.
  5. MoreAwesomeMechanic New Player

Mepps just said it was accounts but who knows if that's true.
  6. MrMigraine Devoted Player

As I said in the OP, I don't for a second believe that there are 18 million active players. But I do believe that there are 18 million accounts.
    Now some of them are probably people who downloaded the game and never got off of Brainiac's Ship and haven't played the game since ... but they still 'count' because this is a Free-To-Play game. Their accounts continue to exist. Those players could pick the game up again at any second because of the F2P model. (Heck, the servers would explode if all 18 million people logged in at the same time! :eek: )

I guess my main point in the OP was that seven million new people have tested out the game in the last year. If only 5% stuck around, that's still hundreds of thousands of new active players and that speaks to a healthy game-state which makes me a happy camper.
  7. MrMigraine Devoted Player

The reporting says individual accounts, but I suppose that it could be erroneous.
  8. MoreAwesomeMechanic New Player

I know and I agree for the console side at least. PC is on its way out bad ed on the numbers given. I was just trying to shed light on the actual active played because I doubt they will ever share that.
    • Like x 1
  9. Stark23 Committed Player

He just replied to you specifically and told you it was unique accounts and then you come in here and immediately speculate it's authenticity. All I ever see you doing on here is act like a ***** and it's incredibly annoying.
    • Like x 1
  10. Bast10n Committed Player

The wording that I have seen in the past is unique registered users.

To me, that means station ID"s, PSN Accounts, Prosabian(?).

One person in my League has a PC profile, and Two PSN profiles. One person who is responsible for 3 unique registered user accounts.

This is also a free to play game. It is understood that a high volume of people will download the game and try it out because it is free. Maybe they didn't get past the character select screen. maybe they never made it off Brainiac's ship. maybe they never made it to 30.

It is highly possible that 18 million people downloaded and tried out the game. I think MoreAwesomeMechanix is pretty close to the actual Active members based on something Sptyle said in a different thread.
    • Like x 2
  11. MoreAwesomeMechanic New Player

Sorry forgot to clarify if it was true for active accounts. On the contrary I love it when people take it upon themselves to moderate the forums for the moderators.

Ps if you look at my posts from yesterday you'll find I'm not ALWAYS that way. I give credit when credit is due and I also call out what I believe is bs. Sorry but that's how I am. I don't tell you how to act so don't tell me how to.
    • Like x 1
  12. Owl Devoted Player

Note in the same article Smedley is quoted "roughly speaking 96 percent of people don't ever pay you a dime".

4% of 18 million is 720,000.
  13. xColdFront Committed Player

Well if it is true that's crazy but based on the Survival mode numbers that's not even close. Where did he say that?
  14. Bast10n Committed Player

It's easier to catch fish when you are using a big net.
    • Like x 1
  15. Sbel Devoted Player

I like the math, but aren't you comparing characters with accounts? 36,000 characters only equals 36,000 accounts if all/nearly all only have one character.
  16. Aren Sul Committed Player

The thought of that many people hitting the servers at one time hurts my head...

HEYYYY, wait a minute! Are you using your super powers on me Mr. Migraine?

;)
  17. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

18. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

I interpreted the "18 million registered users" as being 18 million created accounts. It leaves out how many character names have been made, and did not specify active accounts over a selected time frame.

The Society (league) I joined 2 months ago has dozens of characters who last logged in in "1969." I think they fixed that default time stamp oddity. The point being between my friend list (bought the game @ launch in 2011; dozens of character names in friends list) and league roster (199 members), there are Lots of character names not being actively used. Those people that have not been online in months or more than a year registered.
    • Like x 2
  19. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Too late to bring up an inactive player/account name purge? Too early? I assume the millions of inactive accounts belong to deployed service members - or - wait, just saw Doctor Nova's post....

20. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

it's nice to see DCUO heavily featured in the PS store as well.