DCUO Census Data

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hi all,

We recently released a beta version of census data for DCUO, which is an API anyone can use to display in-game character data we supply. For example, Bytecode's Social Graph and Sore's Census App are exploring the possibilities of what can be done with the data.

We did not adequately message or announce this ahead of time, and we want to apologize for that and the confusion it caused. That said, we know from first-hand experience that data like this can be an incredibly useful tool in the hands of the community.

Some of you have expressed concerns over other players being able to see particular pieces of data, including:
    • Friends Lists (removed)
    • League MOTDs (removed)
    • Date Character Created (removed at least temporarily)
    • Date of Last Login (removed at least temporarily)
    • Total Time Played (removed at least temporarily)
    • Combat Rating
    • Skill Points
    • Stats / Gear
    First, some of this data was not intended to be available to everyone (Friends Lists and League MOTD), and these have been quickly removed.

Second, you expressed concern over other data points related to your playing behavior (Date Character Created, Date of Last Login, Total Time Played), and we have at least temporarily removed them while we consider your feedback. While standard in other SOE games and in the industry, we do understand your concerns here, and may look into ways to make this data available only to you and not to others.

Finally, some of you are concerned about having character Combat Rating, Skill Points, and generally stats and gear available for others to see. This is intended and fundamental. We know having accurate information available will have a long term benefit to the community, and that the positives outweigh the negatives.

Thank you for your feedback, and please continue the discussion and ask questions in the thread below.
    • Like x 42
  2. Zuse Loyal Player

ok you say to ask questions

I have a question...Why ?
    why all this ?
    • Like x 19
  3. Feenicks New Player

Can we have an opt out option?
    • Like x 42
  4. Juxes Committed Player

Remove stats as well.
    • Like x 14
  5. WickedRhys Well-Known Player

The temporarily removed ones should stay visible to everyone, not too bothered about the (removed) ones.
    • Like x 4
  6. Mister Brees New Player

Aren't the fields in green relevant to most server wide queries? You need to be able to differentiate someone who played once in 2011 for 5 min against a current user when looking up trends.

To clarify, if I look up how many people play fire, I don't want to know how many characters are fire. I want to know how many people logged in this month that play fire. Losing this info will skew too many statistics.
    • Like x 6
  7. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Can anything time related, whether that be last join/creation or total be totally removed.
    It should be rather available in game for your own sake to see.
    • Like x 11
  8. Zim New Player

I hope u guys reconsider the time and date when character was created, last log in, and time spent playing. Like u said, it's standard info on most other mmo's. And it's your info to do what u want with. In the end the people against this will eventually conform and deal with it.
    • Like x 11
  9. Grumpy Dedicated Player

Remove these three permanently.
    • Like x 21
  10. FameYack Committed Player

Indded,
    I certainly appreciate the removales
    I do appreciate having my own information available for me to see,
    I just feel very uncomfortable with its display and not having a saying on whom i share it with,

I will give it the benefit of the doubt i guess :( :cool:
    • Like x 3
  11. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Yea, would rather not have people see the time I have spent and see me as being inexperienced [Especially when I am playing on alts]
    • Like x 10
  12. Gale Reaper Dedicated Player

An opt out option or at least permissions to see the information should be mandatory.
    • Like x 31
  13. Drakonicus New Player

Do you know what feedback means ?
    • Like x 7
  14. Remander Steadfast Player

Firefighter Mepps is on the job!
    • Like x 4
  15. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

This is great stuff for our characters and I'm very happy to see the direction.

1)Not sure if it's possible, but it would be very nice to see the loot tables tied into this in some way.
    Not necessarily drop rates, but which NPCs drop what...?

2) What about a toons 'loadout' - is that something that could be included along with the Gear info?

3) My time in game is something I feel I have the right to know...if you're keeping track.:)
    • Like x 2
  16. Dametria Loyal Player

Stats: CR, SP, even gear...I am not a huge fan of these being open for discussion, but I see the usefulness as it relates to game play. And I run mainly in league and friends, so whatever.

This information however:
    IMO has no bearing on grouping and should remain disabled.

Thank you & thank you!
    • Friends Lists (removed)
    • League MOTDs (removed)
    • Like x 19
  17. Sorwen Well-Known Player

I said this in the other thread. Some of which you now show as removed or temporary, but I'm post the whole thing to keep the point of why.

Here is my other concern. We've had in the past and I've read more than one thread since I've gotten back about some Villains thinking because they are playing Villains that anything they do to another player is allowed. This give extra tools to this sort of person and they are not unique in the least.

There are a lot of reasons some of this data shouldn't be allowed whether it is personal or not(Toon gender, Last Location, Active, Play times, guildmates, etc). All are things that have no purpose for someone else to know and that is of the information we are aware of now. What are we missing or what could become information in the future? The concern isn't what the average person will do, but what someone malicious might do. That is the cornerstone of security.
    • Like x 10
  18. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

Make these perm removed. No one but me needs to know how many hours i played. These are not info that can be used for a tool.

Also give us a OPt out option.
    • Like x 23
  19. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Nononono. The last thing I want is people looking at my loudout. I can imagine Kaizer's being checked out 24/7.
    • Like x 14
  20. Valsmurf Loyal Player

I like being able to know when my in game and RL friends last logged on. A few of my best in-game friends I haven't seen in a while, after I checked the app and saw they hadn't logged in in a year i can safely assume they have moved on :(
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.