Courtesy and Appreciation

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Twilight Avenged, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

Giving or receiving a "Thank you" or "You're welcome" when successfully running content with other people feels good. It also promotes communication and education on how to do certain things in-game.

The same amount of time we spend letting someone know what they did wrong can equally be spent letting them know what they did right.

Examples:
    If the Tank was doing a stellar job holding back the main boss while the rest of you revived your fallen group mates, let the Tank know with a simple "Great Tanking" or whatever feels right. That person will be more inclined to help in the future.

If someone thanks you for helping them through some early missions, toss back a "You're welcome" or "No prob" before leaving the group.

If someone stops what they're doing to answer your question in chat, let them know you appreciate the help. Responding is much more effective long term, then silently taking the info and running off to use it. If that same helpful person see's you in need again, they're more likely to help again.

(Sorry if this comes off as sappy, but despite being a smarta** here and in-game it genuinely is how I feel and play)

[IMG]
    • Like x 16
  2. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

I agree I've met most of my friends that I have now known for 4+ years in this game by either giving them or getting advice from them at 1 point in time, and we continued out feedback / convo long after the 1 with giving advice just to see how 1 another were doing with said advice.

Sort of like a check up :p
    • Like x 2
  3. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

People have been saying "Thank You" or "Good Job" less and less as time goes by. :(
    Mentioned this in the past... but worth mentioning again.

I always say "Thank you".... or "Good Job"..... or give a quick "thumbs up" or "Bow".
    In the past..... most of the time people would reciprocate.

But as time went on.... less and less people did.

Now once in a while.... someone will reciprocate.... or be the first to actually say "thanks".
    But most of the time... people just leave without replying.

Courtesy in the game..... sadly is more and more rare as time goes by. :(
    • Like x 6
  4. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

I always say thank you and show appreciation when players play a role well. Unfortunately, my comments usually end up like:

PlayerX has left the instance
    Thank you PlayerX

People are always in such a hurry to leave. I type 100 wpm, and it's still not fast enough for many who leave.
    • Like x 7
  5. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

yup its like people expect help from others without having to say 'thanks' or 'GGs' or anything along those lines.

or even a simple bow / thumbs up.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dene Devoted Player

Great post - agree entirely.. its so rare these days

even a simple wave or bow shows courtesy - even gg - its not like their hand will fall off if they type that
    • Like x 2
  7. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

The Thumbs Up emote is my main go to reaction for quick instances, but I prefer the Bow for most. lol, most people don't hang around long enough to even see the bow play out.
    • Like x 4
  8. Tilz Loyal Player

sadly for many groups (especially lfg formed) they don't know when the healer/tank does a great job, because they're busy burning the boss and whenever they ignore some mechanics the heal has to do some insane healing to keep their pew pew up. For them it's just a normal thing when a heal keeps the group alive, because they can't see what insane work a heal might do at some points because of blind dps.

Whenever I play my heal in lfg formed groups I notice that. Especially with tanks that don't know what they're doing all the time and that are good at playing the paper-tank power. Nearly destroyed my keyboard a few days back in USn because of the tank
  9. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

It is not just this game. I have seen a decline in World of Warcraft over the past two years. It may not be limited to MMOs, either. The majority of players are from the US (on US servers, obviously), and things in this country have moved in a direction where people ignore other people for fear of getting hostility in return. It is very unfortunate how divided we've become.
  10. light FX Steadfast Player

Me too. I always say thanks or good game. Sometimes i forget. But thats rare. Id say 90% of the time i get no reply. The other day pugging alerts i did have a healer idk send me a tell and was very nice. I replied and added em to friends.

On the flip side i was running the same alerts in a pug group the very next day and 1 of the dps was quantum and was doing some decent dmg with a rotation i havent tried yet. So afterwards i sent em a tell saying nice dps and is this what u were doing? And i said what the rotation looked like from watching em. The reply back was eff u. Such a great community we have here huh? Cause i see that kinda stuff said way more then anyone being nice. At the end of the day people should remember its a damn video game. Not some competition to boost your ego or somehow make your life better.

And ive certainly had my own bad moments in game when speaking to others. These days i rarely say anything and wait to say thanks at the end. Or say "nice healing" or something like that. The 1 thing i will speak up on however is exploits. If i see someone doing any of that then yes im gonna open my mouth. And the person is making my ignore list.

But honestly i feel many player struggle with any communication at all. Asking simple questions that have yes/no answers and ya get no reply. I see it happen way too much to be a language thing either. Kinda weird if ya ask me.
    • Like x 2
  11. nawanda Loyal Player

I met the co-leader of my league about two years ago during a random Halls of Hades run.

The group had lots of halfwits in it. I was trying to explain that if we start the last boss fight by wiping, when we return to the room we will have a better angle on the dog for the creature handlers feat, when he PM'd me "you're wasting your time with this lot, mate".
  12. Artjitsu New Player

I am still new and I have not noticed the anger and volitale nature except in shout chat, which I am assuming are children. Granted I have only started, around a month, and not a MMO expert by any means. Comparing this community to the other MMOs I have tried (WoW and Wildstar) this one is super helpful and kind. Though I do notice a lack of manners when it comes to those ignoring Good job and Thanks.

The only negative experience is when I opened a trade to give someone a set of Green Knight Shoulders, for free because they did not have them for their set. They responded with, 'I aint poor and don need handouts.' I would not consider that the norm though.

Again, I am new and sure it is possible I just have rose tinted glasses on currently.
  13. light FX Steadfast Player

Yea ive been playing dcuo for 4.5 years so ive certainly seen a lot more. I will say in my experience the positive interactions is about 30% and negative is 70%. Now someone else might have those #s flipped around. Because part of it is who ya get paired up with in groups. I have bad experiences with pug groups almost every time. But an old league mate ive mine always had good ones. Used to say he very rarely ran into a bad group when pugging. Luck of the draw i guess.
  14. Caroline Dedicated Player

I can't imagine myself not saying "Thanks all" at the end of an alert/raid, or "Thank you" at the end of a duo. I would feel bad if I don't show my appreciation to the rest of the group.

And when people don't say anything and just leave the instance as quick as possible, simply tells me that they must be thinking they're above everyone else or something. Basically - "too good to thank you peasants, in fact you are welcome for being carried" kinda thing. :D
    • Like x 1
  15. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I agree and its how I play as well. Hey no one even has to do some special outstanding job as far as I am concerned. The mission is over we defeated the last boss. No one died. No one was totally out of power 90% of the time and it didn't take forever. .... I thank all my team mates and usually give a nice /bow before i go..

Sadly A lot of players either are not used to getting that thanks or are in a big hurry to move on because I lose track of how often in the short amount of time it takes me to type THX Guys I have discovered i am the ONLY one left inside that mission. Has never stopped me form doing it and never will but a lot of times the people you are thanking are long gone before the remark hits the chat box :(

Hey doesn't even need to be a team.. I bounty hunt and have had a number of occasions where some one just jumps in and helps without ever forming a team. I'll get on shout and thank anyone that helped take out Captain Boomerang (or who ever). If they are still close by I will /wave or /bow as well.
  16. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

I hope you didn't add me today. I was using an exploit this morning to see what benefits it offers. I just reported it to Mepps. :p
    • Like x 1
  17. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I actually had a situation like that a while ago. I blind qued into a Zamarron duo. My "team mate" was well above the CR require to join or even to still get marks .... probably only still doing it to grab the posters it dropped (there is a feat associated with that).
    ANYWAY.. this guy was one of those seriously devoted score board chasers. Stood in one spot just firing away at anything that moved and never bothered to pay attention to anything else.

THREE different times I used my supply drop to keep him alive and two of those were in the caves against mobs not even during a boss battle. Now i did my share of the damage but obviously he was like 40-50 CR higher than I was 9and this was LONG before the revamp) so his damage out was 3 or 4 times what mine was.

I never even got the chance to say thanks .. His HIGHNESS typed in "YW" and left the mission before i could type in a thing. THAT ticked me off... I'm welcome for what? Being your Troll/Healer/DPS while you TRIED to see if you could die repeatedly?

There are some teams i won't say thanks too and attitudes like that are usually the reason why.
    • Like x 3
  18. Caroline Dedicated Player

That's just being too cocky. I put that kind of people on ignore, instantly.
    • Like x 1
  19. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

In your situation, that was warranted. I had someone do what I thought was the same thing in a raid. After I flew off the handle at him/her, I was told that a friend had said "thank you" through a tell and the response in group was to that. :oops:
  20. light FX Steadfast Player

lol im sure ya know what i mean. What u are doing is something different.
    • Like x 1