Constantine's English 'slang'

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MrStoob, May 24, 2020.

1. MrStoob Well-Known Player

It's like no-one did ANY research into the English language and just inserted slang they didn't understand at random.

Add to that that Constantine is now some kind of West London Sloane, rather than a lad from the North West as intended by Barker, it's all rather sad.
  2. Caroline Dedicated Player

Such a wanka
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

Didn`t you know, mate? I`m a right bastard!
  4. MrStoob Well-Known Player

Gentleman Ghost ain't much better.

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  5. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Fiddlesticks.
    • Like x 4
  6. Whodini Well-Known Player

Rubbish!!!
    • Like x 2
  7. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Constantine on Legends this past week said "chin wag"
  8. MrStoob Well-Known Player

IIRC he says that in the JLD duo, "Let's 'ave a chin wag.", so at least that one's correct.
  9. nawanda Loyal Player

Constantine’s voice is a laughing stock.

Everything he says is hackneyed and cliched. I feel ever whoever scripted him did no research.

Constantine in lore has a Liverpool accent, in DCUO it’s some sort of attempt at a London accent; which is the other end of England from Liverpool. I feel that whoever selected/guided the voice actor did no research. Likewise for Constantine’s slang. It is London slang.

The term ‘w-er’ is actually more offensive than non-UK English speakers imagine, and it seems inappropriate somehow. W-ing is literally masturbation, so ‘w-er’ is only slightly less offensive than ‘F-er’.

Nobody in the UK talks like Constantine in DCUO.

He should sound a little bit like these guys:
    • Like x 2
  10. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

We do ham it up even in our own productions though. Every posh 'guy' Colin Firth plays is about 10 times more 'posh' than real life. The accent is normally fine, if slightly overdone, but they make 'posh' people talk way more formally than they do in real life.

The British slang is the worst though, outside of east end cockney boy even we seem to struggle with an authentic working-class/street accent. Kingsman made me laugh, should have just made him a geezer type instead of a wannabe hoodie, it was quite cringe.

Red Dwarf is apparently popular with Americans, that would have been a good basis for Constantine's accent.
    • Like x 2
  11. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Rimmer, Lister, Cat, or Kryten? :)
  12. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Lister, definitely Lister. Him and Constantine (original version) originate in the same area of the country.
  13. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

not sure about region but class matters...Con is very working class...and should have...a common mans voice...in character he reminds me very much like an American tv show character called The Night Stalker...he is simply a common man who survives extraordinary events and realizes all the myths about evil in the world aren't just fading stories but "the real truth!!"...
  14. Cyro Committed Player

Fun fact, the actor who plays kryten based the characters accent on the canadian accent
  15. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Bloody ell!
  16. MrStoob Well-Known Player

I think 'Scouse' Scouse might be a bit much (I am a Scouser - Scousers 'ere, Scousers there, Scousers f'ing everywhere!), but even something along the lines of the McGanns would have been preferable.

Am I right in assuming the vast majority doesn't know why I posted a pic of a man rowing?
    • Like x 1
  17. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

Oxford!!??