Check out my melons!

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Mint Stiletto, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Some of you guys already know of my love of melons, I thought I start a chronicle of my adventures in melon farming.
    I'm going to take new pics every 5 days.Anyone else doing any farming? Post some pics.
    There is plenty of room for anyone to post their other hobbies, a good joke, a favorite song,cartoon,poem, or whatever.
    Just keep it fun.

Here's my melon patch[IMG]
    Just going to show the growth of the first melon I pollinated,7/15[IMG]
    7/20 it's growing fast! [IMG]
    Going to post next pic 7/25, I hope the crazy amount of rain I'm getting since yesterday is good for my melons and doesn't drown them!:eek:
    • Like x 10
  2. Lights Derp Loyal Player

Wow Mint those are some Lushish Green Melons
    • Like x 2
  3. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Noice.
    • Like x 1
  4. Mont New Player

Almost mouth watering
    • Like x 1
  5. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I got really excited and now I'm hungry instead.
    • Like x 7
  6. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

Curse your kinda misleading title! I thought this was about something else. :oops:

Nice melons! :D I finally get to say that to someone and not have to worry about getting slapped. LOL!
    • Like x 6
  7. Ninja'd Dedicated Player

Its amazing how small watermelons are at the start.
    • Like x 4
  8. Gam3r4Lif3 Dedicated Player

Nice melons.....lately I have not been to fond of WM
    • Like x 2
  9. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Yeah it is, I thought it was cool that they start out with tiny cute stripes tho!:)
  10. SkullGang Devoted Player

It's weird seeing watermelons at that size lol.
  11. Forsberg New Player

No trouble with insects yet? Or you battling them? Natural ways or chemical?
  12. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

No, I've been very lucky so far. I inspect them everyday,the vines and both sides of the leaves for bugs and molds and stuff and so far so good! As far as what remedies I'd use, I'd have to wait and see what it is if I do get any pests. I'd try a less chemical more natural type if possible, but if I need to break out some hard stuff I will to save my sweet melons;)
    • Like x 2
  13. MercPony Devoted Player

Just be a bit careful once they start reaching a large size. I've grown plenty of watermelons, gourds, squash, pumpkins, etc. and often the vine will break prematurely so if you want them to be about as large as you see them in grocery stores, you gotta really watch it.

This year I am growing tomatoes and cucumbers and corn :) You really should give corn a try sometime, its really fun in my opinion.
    • Like x 1
  14. Faust74 Loyal Player

Did someone say Melons?!?!! :eek:

Aw dammit! i was expecting something else. :mad:
    • Like x 4
  15. Forsberg New Player

Oh im glad! You truly have the green thumb. I have the black thumb.. what I TRY to grow either dies from some misdirection of me or bugs. I've tried natural ways.. I've tried mild chems. I don't want to go hard core because I want "healthy" stuff lol stupid Michigan
    • Like x 1
  16. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Actually I've grown corn many times! Nothing better than fresh picked corn! When I was a kid I worked in my grandfathers fields quite a bit also. I used to plant a small garden every year but haven't for about 4 years, forgot how much fun it is.
    Thanks for the tip, this is my first attempt growing watermelons. I may hit you up for some advice if I need it later!;)
    • Like x 2
  17. SpicyMoonlight Devoted Player

OMG baby watermelons! How cool!!

How long till it's big enough to eat?
  18. Feenicks New Player

I miss gardening.
    • Like x 6
  19. MercPony Devoted Player

Home grown fruits and veggies are the best! :) In fact the tomatoes I grown are from a plant that was started over 50 years ago lol My family just keeps passing seeds down. I've always wanted to set up a mini greenhouse but that costs a lot of money to keep up with... money I don't have sadly :( But anyways, I live in a small farm town so produce and livestock is something I've grown up around lol Most of this stuff is common knowledge growing up.

From what I can see now your set up is working just fine :) Feel free to ask me if you run into any issues!
    • Like x 1
  20. Dametria Loyal Player

What beautiful melons you have Mint, but I think I've already told you that. :p
    • Like x 6