Book of Oa/Parallax:Ultimate Light Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by dr strangeonline, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Makineko Committed Player

I know some of those abbreviation (SQ,Imp, claw, WT, Ram) but what is CS, BG, LS and RS? :)
  2. Captain Neos Committed Player

Im guessing

CS= Chainsaw
    BG=Boxing Gloves
    LS=Lunging Swing
    RS=Robot Sidekick

I could be wrong lol
  3. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Neo's is right.

CS = Chainsaw
    BG = Boxing Gloves
    LS = Lunging Swing(bat from entrap)
    RS = Robot Side Kick

The robot isn't mandatory. It'll actually add very little difference in total damage out throughout a raid. If it stays alive and powered its basically a free DoT which Light kind of lacks. The way our AM works we really can't use our DoTs that much. Exception being ST/GH but their single target powers and work best in high health/high threat situations.

Basically the robot is a cheap background DoT IF you have an extra power point and loadout spot.

I should probably put up an abbreviation's list sometime......... Sorry bout that.
    • Like x 1
  4. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Added a Legend at title post.
  5. CdnAtheist Well-Known Player

I like claw > hold claw > ram > fan back into claw. I've been using it in the new duo. Sometimes I use mini gun in-between hold claw and ram. It's not the best but it's fun and it reminds of how I used to play using the various claw > hold claw combos prior to GU36.
    • Like x 1
  6. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Edited Controller FaQ section to make it easier to read.

If anyone has anything they'd like addressed in that section please post or PM.
  7. Xanoth Dedicated Player

So, I've not used light since before GU47, figured I should dust it off and have been playing it a bit, got though BP just fine using the old range loadout I had prior to GU47.

Is it possible to alter that to allow for a more varied melee (getting WT/chainsaw or something), as while clawx4>ram>fan>repeat is fun when able, it doesn't feel overly effective compared to just the standard ranged rotation (with less kb/pulling enemies all over the place which has always irritated me).

Do I need a 3rd armoury to really benefit from the damage boost melee got?

Not really sure what to do, only place I'd probably use it is the duo to try and limit all the knockdowns interrupting me... not worth an armoury for.

Any advice to try and make the most of the power would be much appreciated.
  8. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

An additional armory would be the best way to go. That's going to give you the most bang for your buck.

If your cool with running no shield..... Here's two options. !st will leave only 1 passive DPS innate. 2nd is the Tunso Melee loadout. That'll leave two power points for the iconic innates.

Assault(9)(8)
    • Claw, Ram, Spike Quake, Mini Gun, Chompers, Light Weight, Whip Thrash, Fan, Chainsaw
    • Claw, Ram, Spike Quake, Mini Gun, Chompers, Light Weight, Fan, Chainsaw
    Support(5)
    • Gloves, Impact, Entrap, Grasping Hand, Light Blast
    • Gloves, Impact, Entrap, Grasping Hand, Light Blast
    Rotations
    • IMP > CS > Rm > WT > IMP
    • CL > LS > BG > CS > CL
    I use an additional armory for melee. I like to use IMP>CS>Rm>WT. It deals good damage but gives me the ability to move to a block breaker OR interrupt if needed. Where the Tunso Loadout will only give you interrupts. Each deal a similar range of damage. If your looking for a tweener range something that's one armory and can still allow you to go Melee or Range its totally possible.

In addition to the Claw>Rm>Fn You could also use Claw X 5 > LS X 4 > BG X 6 > IMP > GH> Fn > Claw repeat. That's doable with Rokyn's loadout in the AM DPS section. It will still allow you to get the DPS iconic innates and a self shield.

It's up to you. If your going to skip an Iconic it can be good to think about what buffs you teammates run. If you have a Tank who carries a crit chance buff then Melee'ing near them will make up some of the ground skipping your Iconic crit chance passive. Totally up to you though. We have enough options you can get it or skip it if you wish to do so. Having it will deal more damage but may cost you a power you may want to play with. It all depends on how important the scorecard is to you. The content will still be doable without it.
    • Like x 1
  9. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Anyone else out there excited for the new Lantern themed content.... I'm pretty excited.
    • Like x 1
  10. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Excited for sure. On a side note, I was talking to Dark a while ago on league chat and he mentioned on how this guide is literally a book and I just had to laugh. It's a book because you are deconstructing and decomposing the power set down to the tee and explaining the usefulness of every power and the variables associated with said role. I've been tanking and DPSing a lot lately so I'm bit disconnected with current state of Hardlight specifically DPSing. I still troll though. Hope everything is good.
  11. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

That's quite a compliment since I've tried to model what we're doing off of the Gadget Guide. Dark is awesome! ;)

Trolling is pretty fun. I think theres a lot of good about it. The change to how debuffs are applied work nice with WT. Still sucks that we have to be around 10 M in to get the damage from it but I like that if I'm a little to far away I'm still getting the debuff(even if no damage). The counter on block still sucks from the tray but oh well. Overall I like HL and Gadget controlling the best. HL since we can no weapon control and Gadgets since I can help with so many other things(Decoy), power, etc.

DPS wise we're okay. Its still middle of the pack. I mentioned in another thread post GU 36 the Dev's have done an excellent job at keeping HL from ever coming out OP. GU 43 we we're good but not OP. The only exception was the unintended issue's with LW.

In short, at range we're one of the worst DPS classes out there. It's not very good. At mid range(really Melee 8.5M) we're a little better but not much. At melee its one of the best powers in the game(upper middle of the pack). The only issue would be our point blank melee abilities causing us to be more risky to use than other power sets. Its capable though if the player is good with positioning and has good teammates(controlling adds, keeping aggro, burst heals etc). All content can be done with any power.

In PvP we're probably a little OP(along with like 4 other powers that rule PvP). I did read one dev's comment stating that after the PvE stuff was done PvP would have its day to get adjusted.

I'm honestly waiting to see what happens with all the Tunso test stuff and am keeping my mouth shut for the most part. So much is likely to change once mid range gets addressed who know's how it will be.
  12. Jayross Well-Known Player

was reading and im not 100% clear here. What's the hard light max dps melee combo? i saw that our best damage is in melee range and I want to know what the combo is so i can use it when i can melee safely
  13. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

The most likely to give you 100 % best damage in a perfect situation is the Tunso 180 degree (CL > LS > BG > CS). That one has a wider AoE range and will give the biggest burst damage. It is all vulnerable to block and will lunge you at your target(s).

The CS > Rm > WT > IMP is also good because it's a little more practical in dealing block breakers and being able to combo into other abilities at any point. But IMP/Rm have 60 degree cone's and the melee tick from them doesn't interact with the AM.
  14. Turbonic New Player

Is it better to let light blast and minigun play out their full animation for max dps? Or should I just chain as fast as I can?
  15. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

It depends on certain factors.

If the adds are dying quickly then its better to chain quickly to get the quick burst attacks. That'll register damage faster on the scorecard if the adds are dying quickly.

If your in close range(getting the melee tick from Ram and Impact)(within 8.5 M) its better to quickly chain. The extra tick from Rm/IMP will overcome the damage possible from allowing the animations to play out.

If at full range(out to 25 M) and a high health target...... It depends on where the crits fall to be honest. Letting the animations play out can do more damage then quickly changing at full range. BUT it isn't always 100 % better. I've parsed it out both ways hundreds of times. Post GU 50 I'm seeing either option viable. Pre GU 50 letting it tick out at full range was better. Now its kind of a toss up.

Personally I let the animations tick out on high health targets. Though the data available isn't conclusive to either being superior. Each deal a similar amount of damage.

Consider also the size of AoE's when targeting your enemies. Rm/IMP and Fan have 60 degree cones. MG/LB have 180 degree cones. If the adds are spread out it can be better to let those animations play out so that your hitting those targets.

There isn't a 100 % of the time its better to do X..... You'll have to adjust to the situation. Consider throwing in Grasping Hand when you need to target a specific enemy(high threat target).
    • Like x 1
  16. Turbonic New Player

What about a Pure AM Melee loadout?
  17. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

It still varies. Depending on the person and how the adds are grouped. Bosses have a tendency to block(so does some trash though less often). The Tunso AoE to AoE Melee rotation/cylce is Claw X 5 > Lunging Swing X 4 > Boxing Gloves X 6 > Chainsaw X 5 > Claw. It's all vulnerable to block. It has the largest width AoE at all 180 degree. That still is all at melee range. In a perfect situation that's going to give the best damage numbers/parse. It'll also take off the biggest chunks of damage the quickest.

You can use Chainsaw (X how ever many taps you want) > Ram > WT ( X 1 or 2) > Impact > Chainsaw. That will allow you switch to a block breaker when needed. It also allows you to transition when you see the block coming. The main downside to Tunso's rotation is LS. We want to keep our combo's going without interruption as much as possible. LS has to go through all 4 slow taps to move into another vulnerable to block attack. That's roughly 5 seconds of definite vulnerability to block without option.

The above will give roughly the same level of damage but IMP/Rm's Melee tick doesn't interact with the AM. That tick does regular scale damage. It does work better in the way it can reach a longer area of targets and gives more choice's to transition. But in a vacuum if the conditions are right the Tunso rotation is best. I like the other cycle better for options to avoid counters and if I'm pugging and don't know how well the tank is going to group the adds.

You could try either and decide which you like best.

Notable other options include
    • CL>Fn CL > Rm > Fn > CL
    • CL > MG > WT > IMP > CS > Rm > Fn > CL
    • IMP > LB > BG > CS > Rm > WT > IMP
  18. OANGL Well-Known Player

Is Swing bugged? Having issues comboing light claws into swing plz help :/
  19. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

What are you seeing? Is it not transitioning? Is the damage not in the right range?

Is this something your seeing in specific instance's?

Some background info that is usually needed to figure if its a bug or not.

Are you ....?
    • PS3/4 or PC
    • US or EU
    • Where is this occuring? PvE or PvP. Open World or specific instance
    • Is there a time that is occuring.
    • How long has this been occuring.
    I haven't had any issue's recently with LS as far as transitioning goes. Sorry can't be more helpful.
  20. Walrusneck New Player

Is anyone able to keep up in damage in end game content? I'm getting completely blown away.