Book of Oa/Parallax:Ultimate Light Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by dr strangeonline, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Rokyn Dedicated Player

Here's some of the updates so far as of today on Test Server only.

Sparring Targets
    • PCTEST ONLY: Removed Sparring targets created last December. Please use the Sparring Targets in Lairs and HQs instead.
    • Sparring Targets in your Base, League Hall, and Headquarters will now allow you to keep the hit counter.

Controller Role
    Power granted over time from using the following abilities will now show in your combat log as coming from your "Innate Power" ability:
    Light
    • Impact
    • Boxing Glove
    • Claws

Controller Debuffs
    Updated the following ability tooltips that still erroneously stated they remove power over time effects, which they do not:
    Light
    o Snap Trap
    o Entrap

Damage, Healing, and Defense debuffs from using the following abilities have been unified into your "Innate Power" ability. This means the debuffs range is equal to your max targeting range.
    Light
    • Whip Thrash
    • Entrap
    • Grasping Hand
    • Snap Trap
    • Light Blast
    • Light Weight

Light
    • Fixed Light Weight's Control role damage debuff so that it will work from range.
    • Throwing the Light Weight will no longer debuff enemies. This brings the number of targets that can be debuffed in line with the other Control role debuffs.
    • Like x 1
  2. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I haven't talked to him.... I'll do that when I can. We're in mandatory OT mode right now at work(and a new baby) so my time has been really limited right now. If you have time I'd appreciate the help if not I'll try to get to it this weekend. Thanks!!!!
  3. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

For those that are curious.... Rokyn(and I) asked Shiny Mackeral to look at Light's update and take a good look at the numbers. He's the man when it comes to that stuff! He's done a great job and here's a few notes on what he's been able to confirm.

• Light Blast does the same range of damage regardless of health while in the AM.
    • Impact and Ram's first tick(melee range) does not get the AM buff. That's one spot in the test thread I think we need to push for.
    • Inspiration is factored into the flat boost that the AM gets. It's part of the calculation for the damage though. We do not receive a crit chance increase. It's done that way on purpose. We can still utilize teamwork and get the buff while in our AM.
    • Entraps(Lunging Swing) is not receiving the AM buff. That's gotta be a bug.
    • The DoT for ST/GH are not getting the AM buff. Again that's a small thing but is worth bringing up. It's likely intentional.
    Here's a link to a spread sheet Shiny made. It shows the increase's each ability received. Ranging from 17 - 20 % at range and 80 % at melee.
    I'm not sure how much we can expect to get out of this update as far as changes go. The team is busy with solving the overwriting issue's and bugs. Hopefully we can at least get Imp/Ram's first tick(Melee) to interact with the AM, ST/GH DoT to interact with the AM, and LS to have its bug fixed so it interacts with the AM.
    • Like x 1
  4. Viridian Pyre Level 30

Those fixes would be great and as I stated in the testing thread, I do think the update is on the right track and I give the devs credit for their work so far. It just needs to go a bit further. Light is still getting curb-stomped at range by gadgets and ice in my tests (haven't tried fire, mental or quantum yet). Now, we all know that a lot more then numbers goes into overall dps performance and, at least in my experience, light performs better in actual combat then in testing. That being said... the AM alone scoring around 25K at range is simply not enough and there are players more experienced then me supplying data and videos that will say the same thing.
    • Like x 1
  5. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I've started a FaQ section. Its no where near complete. It will implemented in two sections. Troller and DPS specific. I'll finish it as I can.
  6. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Finished F. A. Q. Section for DPS role(and Lights AM(s). Please review and let me know if their is anything to add or needs editing. Thanks! Link here.
  7. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Updated Ram/Impact's tooltips to correctly mark the range the first (Melee) tick of damage occurs. Which is at around 8.5 Meters from the target(s).
  8. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

So I wanted to point out with the Controller role improvements from GU 50(specifically relating to PoT). Players will likely have to adjust and continue to communicate. We'll likely see in PuG groups players who don't understand why their PoT tick isn't working and will stop throwing it.

My example situation would be : Controller A vit of 5800, Controller B vit of 5400.

Controller A would continue to throw out PoT, trinket cycle doing everything as usual. Controller B would throw PoT and take over duties while their Trinket is active and their Vit is increased. After their Trinkets up just give the other controller a heads up.

This is pretty normal but we'll likely hear in groups of uninformed players(who don't want to talk to each other); Who don't know of the change, Controller A will stop throwing because he tries during Controller B's enhanced period and thinks he's now the back up controller. Causing the group to need power. Communication especially in this early stage will help with all that.
  9. Captain Neos Committed Player

I'm really pleased with the debuff changes. Im finally using whipthrash and as long as the boss is not blocking I can clip out of it before I'm in the danger zone.
    • Like x 1
  10. Walrusneck New Player

Is WM chompers stronger than our AM currently?
  11. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

From the test I've done the AM can out parse a pure WM build. Their in a similar range though.

To add their are times when using WM can be more beneficial depending on your likely hood of interruption. But ya WM should get slightly edged out in the right conditions.
  12. Walrusneck New Player

Yea cause I was trying to find a more enjoyable way to play HL. Back in the day with clipping, it required skill and the competitiveness was fun. Then they changed that, and introduced WM combos which basically made HL become WM + chompers. Then they introduced clipping again with the power back mechanic but it didn't feel the same. Then they made the infinite combo AM which in theory has a lot of combo possibilities but there is only really a few useful/effective combos. Currently, I have a hard time keeping up with just those combos and I feel there is a lack of skill involved.

I've been experimenting with clipping mechanic and found some pretty good combos but the power usage is unsustainable, especially with groups running with 1 troller. I just want to find a style that is fun, effective, and competitive to play. At this point, i felt WM was more satisfying.
  13. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

The clipping mechanic should be power sustainable.... What are you using if you don't mind me asking? The main issue I've found with the clipping mechanic is that the damage is only viable in single target situations. In AoE it will absolutely get dusted. The single target however will fall in a similar range as WM and the Combo AM.

The combo AM will out damage WM and the Clipping AM(power refund mechanic). However players have to stay in their combo's. That would mean no INS by the user. That will lower the user's overall DPS. They also need to not be interrupted. It also would help if they don't HAVE to do the cogs/pick ups considering how the AM works. That last part isn't mandatory and only relates to scoreboard chasing. I don't want to promote that. It's more important to do what needs to be done to finish the content.

Lastly our AM is most effective at point blank Melee range. Which isn't really viable in most raids. We're also easily interrupted at that range. Our AM is definately stronger at Melee range though. The Full Range AoE to AoE combo Rotation will do a similar range of damage whether your 10 - 25 M away from the target(s). At around 8.5 M in game we get the first(Melee) tick for IMP/Ram. That tick does not interact with the AM. Basically at Melee range we can use the full range combo rotation but it will only be a slight bump.

All of the AM's seem to have lowered some of the skill factor although I never personally felt clipping was all that difficult(for any power). All of the AM's seem to be somewhat restrictive. Light and Gadgets seem to me to have some of the more versatile power choices for their AM's. That said I do think there are some things that should probably get changed to make the power more effective.

WM is definitely okay to use. Any player SHOULD be able to use whatever they wish. If you personally like the way that plays then do it up. It should do nearly the same range as the Combo AM and will have less risk involved.

Fan, GH, HC, and Ram/IMP are probably my favorite powers to use with WM. If you can stay in the 8.5 M range Ram/IMP can be very effective.
  14. Walrusneck New Player

Thanks for the help. I'll try running a few things/testing a bit more to see if my combos are any good. I'll post them once I have a bit more experience with them
    • Like x 1
  15. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

So guys, what's your favorite melee combo? I'm partial to Chainsaw > Ram > Whipthrash > Handclap > Chainsaw repeat. But I also love Claw hold claw > Swing > Boxing.

We go into the alerts and just tear stuff up, either all DPS or 1 troll.
  16. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I'm partial to IMP>CS>RM>WT which is very similar to what your running. It's just all AoE. HC is also very good. It has the same base damage range as CS.

I also use CL>LS>BG>IMP>GH>FAN>CL. Depending on the situation(or Armory I'm in). It's not all Melee but its what I have available in my range loadout.

If using the clipping(power refund) AM I like CH/INS>CL>Ram/WT>WT/CS>Ram/CL. It's not as good but is still pretty fun to do when I get bored.
    • Like x 1
  17. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

My bad forgot to hit reply......... Anyways I'm using a very similar loadout/cycle.
    • Like x 1
  18. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I started a F.A.Q section for the controller role. I'll finish as time allows.

I also have video's for jump pulling/NWC that will be added soon.

I'm still not seeing LS getting its increase from the AM buff. Or that Ram/IMP receive the AM buff on the melee tick(8.5 M ).
  19. Makineko Committed Player

Long story short:
    Always resisted using HL until lately due to the sheer number of HL users when I started the game (pre Quantum getting it's buff and becoming FotM for a long time). tried it out on my Mental alt and had fun Trolling with it. I switched my Mental alt back but made a HL alt to troll with. I will say HL is fun to Troll with, had a chance lately to dps (T2 raid and there was already was a troll) and used a few moves I'd unlocked for my Trollling side and found melee combat quite fun with HL. I will say I'm quite tempted to try close range dpsing with it a bit for fun.

My current loadout (mainly due to using what I got for Troll side) is Claws-Boxing-impact-spikes-grasping hand-personal shield
    I start with claws-mace(not sure if that's what it's called)-boxing-ram (train move)-Light blast-gun-impact
    Or I'll go similar up to light blast but repeat from boxing to LB for a continuous combo.

My main question is what's the optimal melee loadout+combo that's gonna be fun to use and is optimal for 4/8 man content? I'm not looking to chase a scoreboard or be top every time however I want to be able to contribute to the best of my ability in alerts and Raids.:)

(soz for the long post)
  20. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

In 4 man your less likely to get KO'd by trash. Having an armory you can switch to for a high level threat(boss) can be good still though. Our Melee moves are point blank melee range and throw us right in the enemies face. In raids you kind of need to know the map and have good positioning. Having 2 controllers and a GOOD tank is beneficial since trash can't attack if their CC'd.

I'm not trying to persuade you not to melee. It just takes a little more experience for most to pull off. The soft CC and likely hood of a block counter can make it much tougher to use( aside from the whole melee risk).

Here are two cycle's you could use
    • SQ/Trinket>IMP>CS>RAM>WT>IMP(upon interruption or out of combat re cast spike Quake)
    • SQ/Trinket>Claw>LS>BG>CS>CLAW
    I prefer the first one since i'm altering block breakers and can transition whenever I need to another power(LS has to go through all 4 taps). Each can be effective.
    If your looking for a few example Melee Loadouts here's a couple
    SQ, RS, Light Barrier, IMP, Ram, SR
    SQ, RS, Light Barrier, CS, BG, SR
    If you have other questions feel free.