Best DPS powers?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by klazhiki, May 15, 2020.

1. CCPONCHO Well-Known Player

All natures aren't the same that's for sure. Just like all prec dps ain't the same.
    • Like x 1
  2. Schimaera Devoted Player

There is an exploit but I'm not talking about it. I'm talking about legit rotation without any poison effects not being removed or rather refreshed by others.
    With Nature, you're sacrificing a little bit of mobility, you have to maintain your DoT effects, recent content slaps you in the face like all the time if you don't have a healer spamming EoG since you'll drop DoTs almost all the time.
    If you strip away the non-legit playstyles which, to be honest, only the worst players would use anyways, Nature is pretty much where it should be. High maintenance for high reward and a chance to keep up with prec, which not all might rotations can do.

Also, Nature got the shaft from like 2012 to 2017 ^^
    • Like x 3
  3. Schimaera Devoted Player

Biggest upside is the passive AoE damage that just farms up without you really doing anything. Plus, in encounters like PC LB you farm free damage that doesn't have any effect since the bosses heal after one is down.
    Easiest comparison to others would right now be the Re-Programmed ORCL-Bot. And you have to really work for it to keep up with Flurry Shots.
    But aside from that you are right. Savage Groth has such a low cooldown rate for the damage it dishes out, having 11 power abilities at your disposal is also a huge benefit if you can maintain your supercharge level.
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

You can’t compare damage in a duo. Especially in low level duo. Pretty much who ever gets there first will “be better”
  5. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

it would be cr equivalent duo never said a duo 200 cr less than us better a duo of cr than a 8 man with wild varying crs
  6. Schimaera Devoted Player

If you really want a realistic and unbiased comparison of different powers you should have equal footing. That means, (I just use Nature hear since I mained it for years now)

- longer, sustained boss fight (e.g. a raid)
    - most optimized rotation/loadout/settings for the powers you wanna compare (e.g. same footing on artifacts, SP (to max stuff), Augments, etc. etc. etc.
    - specced for the same strategy (e.g. single target, melee allowed, bla bla)
    - no player is disturbed by mechanics that the other player isn't (e.g. Nature ST dropping DoTs on bosses or shield phases)
    - no mechanics that alter the scoreboard (like ppl hitting Luthor in FB(e))
    - no mechanics that clearly favour one powerset (like last boss PC(e) where nature just on accident spreads DoTs to bosses that heal anyways after one is defeated or anything that has more than one boss)
    - the baseline has to be that either both powers or neither do mechanics

there are many more criteria that have to be met. Like you can't use bosses that by nature spawn adds and such split damage for some powers but don't for others.

Bottom line, the closest in my eyes right now is the Reprogrammed ORCL-Bot in CTe and even theren, if drones spawn on one players side this player pretty much has to switch priority and such would alter the results.

But if you really want to compare two powers in general - never, do never ever, try to take duos, alerts or content that clearly favours one power over the other as a baseline. At least go to sparring targets on the test server and go nuts there. I cant really tell a single recent raid that has even footing for all powers because at least it comes down to target switching or priority shifts to doing mechanics.

As your (or our) comparison was munition and nature. I used to be munitions on an alt and nature on my main last year when they clearly had equal stats in everything. I had full elite gear, op itmes, maxed augments, even SPs, even Artifacts and everything.
    I was just parsing on 1, 3 and 8 sparring targets to not take into account that some things change in actual content.
    There as no way in hell I could outparse my nature toon with munition. The numbers were close but that was it. I was even the right movement modes for some loadouts (nature's being acrobatics).

In the end, it comes down to two things:

- there will never ever in hell be a day where power would be completely equals to one another. If that day comes, it will be the day when everyone is basically using the same rotation but with different coloring. That day will be the day, the game shuts down.
    - Who gives a cr*p about that stuff anyways. You should never be a burden to your team (and that varies with their acceptance) but to me, everything comes down to the group saying at the end of the raid "This was great. 9 min FBe run, 19 min CTe run, everyone did their job, nobody was chasing the scoreboard and such ignoring something else important, we had no wipe, everthing went great".
    If I can say that in a group with an Earth and Atomic ST dps, so be it, noone cares. Sure, it sucks to an extent to not be able to burn down critical adds as fast as possible, but then there is always the option to switch powers or to switch your playsyle (like prec) for the time being. It's up to you and if you don't wanna do any of that, you can still give constructive(!!!) feedback to the devs, with numbers and everything. Will they listen right away? Probably not but at least you tried instead of just being angry.

Now I know, me maining Nature seems to be a bit hypocritical but let it be known that I was Nature before the stats revamp when it sucked and I was still trying my very best to compete - and at least I could always say that it wasn't too shappy and that I contributed to the group all the time. I usually played powers that weren't cream of the crop just to show that achieving something with underdogs is possible. Earth and Sorcery before AM, Nature before AM, Nature during AM, fire tanking HHe when everyone was saying they wanted Ice because it was simply the easiest power to tank with until they realized that good players were simply invincible by countering bosses because counter shields were %health based - that's when I switched to another set.

I am just trying to tell you that your argument, that other great players still can do totally awesome stuff with other powers. My point is just, that when it comes down to base numbers and math, there are just some things that are factual true. Like in, base power 30 > base power 25. What people do with these numbers, how they butcher them or actually use them to dish out great results - it's up to them.

I somewhat smiled on your first comment, me being born in east germany. A sarcastic saying back before 1989 in the GDR was, that we in East Germany were all equals, some were just more equal than others ^^

Also, nah, Nature being good was basically a thing since the stats revamp (and at least since the Solar Amplifier). Savage Growth always hit like a truck since then and for ST you were using some movement mode abilites anyways. It just took ppl a while to realize this since they lived and played for the last five years (back then) under the impression that nature really is trash. :)
    • Like x 2
  7. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

I think fire is tops right now. I run my precision dps everyday in VMF. Usually if a might based power came close it was nature. I did see an earth do good with a soul shard at 160. I question how their loadout would do in FBE or CTE. Today I got destroyed by a fire dps. I have been topped since I started playing precision in December but never destroyed where I am checking my white mods after the fact. Until this happens again, I am team fire.
  8. Roocck Committed Player

You are 10000000% correct. I have been in raids with Nature DPS with some really outrageous numbers. So crazy that I have thought of switching to Nature myself. Funny thing is that some of these players were mixed gear with 261, 263 and couple of elite with artifacts anywhere from 160-200 doing twice even three times the damage.... Go figure.... LMAO
    • Like x 1
  9. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

Nature is stronger than flurry lol
  10. Schimaera Devoted Player

Not my main argument from that quote but yeah, on the sparring target it's true. But in actual content - depending on what it is - you can lose momentum really fast if you're not paying attention or if something goes awry.
  11. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Every power has good damage potential ,you just have to play around with your power and work out a good load out and rotation. I pick powers that go with the character i'm making,for example,my batman is gadgets and my speedster is quantum.
    • Like x 1
  12. zZzTorrOzZz Committed Player

13. I3eleth Well-Known Player

The best powers can differ very much depending on the situation. Best all around powers would probably be Munitions, Nature, Fire, Earth, Celestial in my opinion. Munitions is good all around melee range, long range, and solo target all being good/great. I have a 305 422 sp Munitions and i can troll or dps any elite and #s wise you have to be very good using a few select powers or an op precision set up to beat me. Rage is elite in everything except elite dps wise cause its a melee ranged offensive power and you'll die quickly dpsing that close to the boss same thing goes for Earths dps. In terms of Tanks there are basically three Earth, Rage, and Fire. Fire is a fun tank to play, Rage can be immortal if it's set up right and the user is skilled. Earth has two forms of tanking the only power like that and is very strong. Nature is amazing melee and ranged dps they can be savage and get high 10sec. Procs and their healers are amazing in all content. Nature is the mubitions of the healers. Celestial is a great healing power very strong but has a slight downside in tap/hold combos. A high CR high skill point high skill player can dominate as a Celestial but it probably has the hardest learning curve and is in my opinion one of the two hardest powers to learn.

Fire- self heals hard to kill, great pvp, good tak, avg dps.
    Quantum- op in pvp, average dps, great troll.
    Gadgets- #1 precision, good troll, good dps.
    Mental- Good troll, Great pvp, below avg dps.
  14. AD Leo Well-Known Player

Electric is up there as well. ST isn't great but AOE it's second to none imo.
    • Like x 1
  15. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Actually it's ST isn't that bad:
    HV, Ionic drain, Arc, Tesla blast, RSK, SC.
  16. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I do pretty Ok with Quantum without relying on Superspeed and just using unattended gear. On have 1 200 artifact.
  17. BrandonB Well-Known Player

I'll pretend this was me.

In all seriousness, Fire is in a really good spot, but as many have said, it's hard to beat a good Nature Might DPS.
  18. dcuotoo Well-Known Player

another believer in muni!!???...watch it bub...they tried to take off my head last time I gently reminded them muni was a power in this game...
  19. The Anxient Loyal Player

Duos are a horrible way to compare damage numbers. Everything has extremely low health. Who ever gets to adds first will have dramatically better damage. That's why everyone dps comps raids where things are alive long enough to actually get a rotation off.
    • Like x 2
  20. Brit Loyal Player

"Best" DPS is a somewhat subjective term, because there are slightly different metrics for measuring it, especially depending on the content that you are running.

One of the biggest points of division that we see is between AoE and single target DPS. A powerset like Electric or Fire can be really powerful in AoE, but less impressive in single target boss encounters. (Less impressive does not necessarily mean "bad", but when a powerset drops from 3 of 15 down to 7 of 15, it's still in the top half, but no longer a clear frontrunner).

But we also see a few other areas that really make a strong difference. One of the reasons why I believe that Precision is so popular these days is because it doesn't really require a Controller. Many of the top performing Might powersets do so at a very power-intensive rotation that requires a good Controller providing a constant supply of power and then it still requires the DPS to non-stop be drinking sodas to keep their power up (which is a playstyle that some don't like when they prefer to save their Soda for the purpose of Health or rallies). In a group of mostly Precision DPS, the Controller basically just debuffs, feeds the Tank and Healer, and then provides additional DPS themselves. Precision also offers the players the individual freedom to have more control over their soda usage, and sometimes even affords them the flexibility with their power bar to be able to include something like a personal shield or other "oh crap" button. And for those who primarily PUG, being able to take more individual responsibility and be less dependent upon strangers can often be regarded as an advantage.

Even still, if you're not running Elite content and you're not using a ton of Replay Badges, the generic gear grind is going to find you spending more time in Alerts than you will in your weekly raids, so another adjustment happens to address smaller group dynamics and role-optional buffs. Any alt or Event-level character I play is designed to be self-sufficient so that they can survive certain support roles being missing. This level of content doesn't require the 100% optimized DPS nearly as much as it does the ability to adapt to the different group dynamics. An absolutely awesome Might DPS rotation that requires a heavy controller might absolutely tank in a No-Controller Event version of a raid, and those 6-offensive/no-defense/drink-soda-for-power-not-health builds can be stellar in a great Elite level group, but when you find yourself slogging through the Alert with no healer to shore you up, no controller to give you power to keep that rotation going, and no tank to hold the aggro off of you, all it takes is for 1-2 deaths to happen and you fall behind on the scoreboard because those slow and steady players get to fight for the whole boss, while you're sitting at the door twiddling your thumbs.

Taking into account the type of content that you will be running, and the sort of groups that you will be working with, what is "best" will change. This is not the generic "anything can be good" response that some people give when they want to try not to be helpful. This is more the thought process of understanding that what is best in column A will not be best in column B.

For me, I like Precision DPS for Elite Raids. I find them more mobile and more defensive, and less taxing on the Controller/Healer in those intense settings.

I like Electric DPS for Regular Raids and Alerts. It has great AoE damage, and one of it's bread-and-butter abilties will also provide a modicum of healing to the group. That makes a world of difference in a no-healer Alert or a floundering Regular Raid where many of the players don't know the mechanics yet.

For Duos/Challenges/Dailies, I like Ice. Not a traditional top parsing Ice Build, mind you. Instead, an Ice build that lets me shield to gear on things that I need to do for my dailies, so that they don't expire or get taken by the opposite faction. And since Reflect actually kills that trash while I am shielded, I don't even see a significant slowing of time. But any powerset that doesn't use a lot of long channels will generally be fine.