Test Discussion Atomic Powers

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by spord, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L T Devoted Player

Right now, if you just cast a power and don't get a combo off, you get 0 healing (that's what seems to happen to me a lot). I'm suggesting that be changed, so that if you only managed to fire off the power you'd get 10%, if you manage a combo you get another 15% for a total of 25%, and if you get the second combo in it would be a total of 45-50% dominance heal.

I like your earlier idea of single-target combo powers.
  2. Elusian Crowd Control

I wish Proton Remedy gets changed and lasts full 12 seconds. The apparent stopping midway with your aura up is something that out of a sudden you missing heals and the healer wonders whats going on (when there is a lot of damage floating around ofc). It doesnt feels like a benefit to have Proton Remedy used while the aura is up.

Don't even mind its only a 25% heal increase when the duration is 12 seconds while you have the aura up.

But thats more nitpicking at this point.
  3. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

Nvm I'm reading the descriptions again and they make it seem like every time you get a molecular charge (tap combo) you get a 40% dominance heal so that does mean you have to combo to get a heal. Maybe we can change it so that molecular charges AND nuclear pressure stacks will heal.
  4. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  5. Drathmor Unwavering Player

i am personally in the opinion that they need to just remove the whole combat mechanic from everything in the game except bosses as one that will alleviate much of this issue for everyone.
    and secondly it doesn't work as its supposed to anyway

anyone who has tanked regularly can attest to the fact lots of the adds and bosses don't adhere to the combat mechanics correctly while any mistake you make are instantly punished

there have been so many times i can see a boss blocking and while they are still blocking ill block break then immediately get lunged even though they should still be within the timing window of thier block. and any other variation of the counter windows verniablity.. (and yes i am accounting for immunity)

not to mention breakouts or pop ups the bosses have, its like they all have a infinite amount of cc trinkets.. you counter them and they break out before they ever touch the ground and this happens several times before they finally run out and might fall for a sec and are right back up

saying all that if they are going to be in the game everything should have to follow the same rules or the whole system is pointless and currently it works nothing like that it is totally biased in the NPC's favor

EDIT: oh and the whole yellow brackets before a fake out very rarely ever happens either
  6. L T Devoted Player

Yeah I messed up. My suggested revised numbers should be doubled to 20/30/40 so that a single combo increases the healing from 40% to 50% and the total healing goes from 80% dominance to 90%. 10/30/50 might be a better split in terms of risk/reward. An average heal of 45% instead of 40 would make 3 full double-combos a little stronger than a normal Ice shield but still weaker than Reflection. It's just not that easy to string lots of double-combos together.
  7. Kuroki Honoo Committed Player

Hell, I have a tough time just getting off 1 double combo xD Even if you block break the boss, by the time you finish the animations he's hitting you again and if you have adds, the blue "safe duration" is gone from their damage and by using atomic combos to try to heal instead of blocking their incoming blocking and getting more counters, you lose even more health. There's no safe healing besides proton and it's duration is halfed with the aura, why is why I don't use it in pvp. My trick to try getting out of that was to use geigar blast before i used proton and then get my aura up and cycle through that way, but then i have to get my aura up constantly with the shortcut, im down a loadout slot from geigar, and if I don't get the aura then I'm weaker than normally. The aura should be beneficial but in practice it's actually hurtful to proton remedy. Atomic is a cool concept, just not thought out in term of current boss mechanics. I've tanked bd reg and elite as it and it's just kinda meh to just know regardless of how you play, the healer is carrying you significantly and it takes the fun away from thinking you're a good tank to just "i know how to block better than the next atomic tank."
    • Like x 1
  8. Kuroki Honoo Committed Player

blocking their incoming damage*
  9. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Agreed bosses should be the only ones that do combat mechanics adds should not it's so annoying to block a bosses lunge only for an add to to counter me and then I take the full brunt of the bosses damage ... On top of the adds as well ... I really wish the devs would go back and remove this from everything but bosses ...

I recently leveled my secind earth character so I can switch my main to atomic and still use earth as i know I'll still want to use it after I respec ... And tanking older raids a lot if them haven't had combat mechanics added to them ... I for got how much I enjoyed not having to worry about combat mechanics
    • Like x 1
  10. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

Just in case someone wants to skip the whole 60s of attacks:

My stats:
    CR 143
    Might - 10392

I did not use any weapon attack, so precision doesn't really matter.
    Also I used no trinkets or any other powers aside from the ones specific from the AM. I wanted to see the effectiveness of each AM alone.

Combo AM
    • Melee
      • 14,321/s
      • 859,262 total
      • 82 hits (27,033 max)
      • 28 (34.1%) crits
    • Range
      • 10,700/s
      • 642,009 total
      • 85 hits (20,635 max)
      • 25 (29.4%) crits
    Geiger AM
    • Melee
      • 14,773/s
      • 886,364 total
      • 70 hits (100,793 max)
      • 16 (22.9%) crits
    • Range
      • 12,540/s
      • 752,403 total
      • 66 hits (62,872 max)
      • 19 (28.8%) crits
    • Like x 1
  11. Mystere Well-Known Player

A previous post of mine gives one way to help with the combo blocking etc. Another idea is to add a 12 second cc immunity to proton remedy so that Atomic has two 12 sec immunities to rotate through and clip as well as have the breakout immunity. One way or another the CC issue has to be addressed for Atomic tanking on the hardest content. Atomic is fine for solo, duos and alerts.

Another way to look at it is that both ice and atomic get the def buff. Ice uses shields to basically give added health (and with hand mod actually heal). Atomic is supposed to basically get the same benefit via comboing. The major difference is that Ice can't be countered from casting its shield whereas Atomic can land on its butt from doing a combo.
  12. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

Looks good Mass. Why did you not do the tests on the 3 dummies in the league hall?
  13. Mystere Well-Known Player

Another suggestion would be to make the ranged multi target pull (the one that tp's enemies to you) have a combo. This would help free up a space on the ability bar for another helpful option to help with getting the aura up and breakouts and cc immunity.

Presently I am using 2 tank builds:

When I don't need the single target taunt: 1 - The ranged teleport pull, 2 - The melee combo that knocks down, 3 - The break ability that grants aura after a combo, 4 - the melee aoe pull in combo, 5 - Proton rememdy, 6 - the cc immunity

When I need a single target taunt: 1 - The ranged teleport pull, 2 - single target taunt, 3 - The break ability that grants aura after a combo, 4 - the melee aoe pull in combo, 5 - Proton rememdy, 6 - the cc immunity

If you made the ranged aoe teleport pull a combo I would drop one of the melee combos and replace it with the 25% SC.
  14. Aglorenzini Dedicated Player

Now that's a good question lol
    I forgot about league hall.
  15. Roomba Dedicated Player

What if some combos counted as a block, rather than a lunge or interrupt?

Combos offer paper and scissor, why not rock?
    • Like x 1
  16. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

I really like this idea a lot
  17. Sore Steadfast Player

Ideally I'd like the full detail. When results align with the existing targets and results, I tend to not mind. When results stand out (too high, too low, different from what other people have posted) then I tend to need to troubleshoot. It's nice when I can look at the description and immediately identify that they've been going against the wrong sparring targets, have the wrong spec, or didn't have the right mods/proficiencies enabled.
  18. HeavyWeapon Dedicated Player

Yes that's what I'm thinking changing fracture to be a single target melee combo power to avoid being screen blocked, and maybe changing up density so it was a block along with the shield, the next combo refreshes the shield and blocks again, and the third combo again refreshes the shield and blocks again.
  19. Kuroki Honoo Committed Player

1. After looking at the last video, it seems certain. Basic atomic combos are weaker than geigar rotations alone, the difference in actual damage that makes me and others say that atomic combos actually do more damage is made by the rest of your loadout you can get from the extra loadout slots running atomic combos. Haven't seen one geigar > atomic combos video/parse that uses a full loadout.

2. It seems Spord stopped replying which isn't good considering I'm assuming this is supposed to be getting released soon.

3. After thinking about it, atomic isn't going to be an active tank just from a concept perspective so I'm tempted to give up on feedback. If I remember right, Spord said that he didn't want it to be like rage without a rage crash function, but actually after running raids, that's ridiculously close to what you actually need in order to not block. If we get shields, it'll be a counterable version of ice. If we get health, it'll be a counterable version of fire. If we get absorption, it just turns into earth which is meh. The only reliable way to get atomic to stand out as a tank power using atomic combos and to be viable is to make the heals "op" so to speak. When I'm spamming combos with my aura I need to be healing the same as a rage tank. You can't have a full atomic combo only healing for 5k and that's the same damage you can take IN ONE HIT FROM AN ADD DURING YOUR AURA *cough* 2H BD *cough* There are even times where I'll 1v1 an add in BD as soon as my cc ends from the atomic combos, he starts slicing through my health like it's nothing. He legitly hits harder than what I heal for which is sad for a healing tank considering it's only 1 add. When you take into account say BD last boss where you have a brawling weapon boss that's immune to counters sometimes (you'll be blocking, he does a combo and doesn't get knocked down) and you have 2-5/6 adds on you as well all doing different pvp mechanics and you're expected to handle that when you can barely heal back the damage from 1 add. I'm noticing this at 144cr (28k health & 3600dom/25-26k health & 5000 dom depending on how I'm spec'd) and the only person I know that can take off proton remedy and not rely on it as a crutch and can actually do atomic combos somewhat frequently is 147cr. A tank shouldn't have to be a higher level than the boss to have the freedom to even come close to doing what it should being conceptually.

As a side note, if you actually want to see how atomic tank is in order to give the most beneficial information, stop going in and solo'ing nexus or dox or fos with said gear on. Type in server chat and get a group for UM or BD. Your experiences in t1-t6 do not even begin to touch the surface of the struggles and mechanics you face in late game content. Yes those bosses may skill hit hard/yes you may not 1shot them, but the level of the stress is nowhere near the same. You can't compare T5/T6 bosses to BD last boss with 5-6 adds on you hitting for 1/6 of your health on each attack EACH, black hand chunking for 5k-15k and a bb from Black Hand that can 1shot you and if it doesn't the adds will kill you from the vulnerability. If the healer goes down for 2-3 seconds, you're dead, consistently. I've had to pop supply drops, sidekicks, shields, sc's, and soders in the matter of 2-3 seconds from clipping and still died because it wasn't enough. You can get an idea of what atomic is like in that content, but you won't see the full consequences of its weaknesses and how hard you can be punished until you run end game content and can lose all of your health in under 2 seconds no matter what you do.
    • Like x 2
  20. TRELL1 Well-Known Player

In regards to 1, there's actually been quite a few parses where the combo outdoes matches the Geiger am. And that's without NV and RS. The dps side is fine from everything that's been presented. Wouldn't be surprised if in instances with trash mobs, the Geiger "wins" vs the combo. That's not really important. The balance is supposed to be around boss fights.

For everything else, I'd imagine spord is processing the feedback and trying to figure out the best avenue for improving the tanking side. At a certain point, it's not productive to respond in the thread when he could just work on a fix. Test server just went down, so maybe something could change after it comes back up

Edit:it's coming Wednesday... Derp
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.