Anyone agree that style unlock should not apply to materials or BB auras?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Some of us spent 100's of millions of in game dollars and probably 100's of real world dollars (not personally...but I know those who have), to get these styles multiple times for multiple toons on their accounts. Now as long as you have one, or can get just one via trade or good luck, or like a lot of us by spending a lot of money (in game or in RL)....you can get those 2nd, 3rd or etc ones for next to nothing. Especially with the BB auras, those were limited time items that were supposed to be rare and limited time only.

Hey, maybe they won't do materials...or the ultra rare auras (Nimbus, Plasmic, Smoke...etc), but I think it's BS if they do. Looked like BB boxes 1-3 were first on the list, which would cover the 3 rarest ones. In game drops, or marketplace styles fine. Those are not supposed to be rare or hard to get, have at them.

Reinheld
  2. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I can see your point, but I don’t mind them being unlockable. It’s the way it should have been from the start.

It all comes down to how many people were doing multiples for alts; and I doubt it was many people. Most that I know would pass the rare aura or material to the character they wanted to use it on - they weren’t using the same auras or materials on all characters at the same time. So it comes down to what money is being left on the table - the money from people buying boxes to get multiples or the money from people doing unlocks. I would wager neither option will amount to much money worth chasing.
    • Like x 10
  3. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is a good thing, not a bad thing. First, because it only applies to people who already have them. If that person wants to rock a ton of them, more power to them. They have to pay DCUO to do so, so the game makes money over and beyond what they spent originally.

Materials are not going to be a part of the unlock program apparently, and even if they were, I surmise they would've been extremely, extremely expensive to unlock. Also, no item from any Time Capsule, was ever guaranteed to be an exclusive, one-time item.

Anyone who has any old BB auras lying around to sell is going to be super happy, since now they can charge even more taking into account this new development.
    • Like x 5
  4. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Oh, and if you're worried about sales, because you're hoarding a bunch of them to sell and think the price will drop. Don't worry. If anything, this development makes them even more valuable.
    • Like x 4
  5. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I don't see how it should bug anyone (although from the sounds of it, materials won't happen due to tech issues) if they make "rare" things unlockable.

You have to have it on an alt in order to use it, if people spent a bunch of money so that their favorite characters could have it in addition to their main (and I know two who have original plasmics who are making fun of themselves right now for wasting so much money) that was a choice. Depending on which aura they have gotten time (in some case multiple years) of being able to have it. Adding this isn't taking anything away from them (I mean sure you could argue they didn't have to spend all that money but again they did get use out of it).

One has to have the aura on one character in order to unlock it on another.... so allowing style unlocking on the items in question is only going to allow those who have the auras in the first place to benefit... All those alts can't be online at the same time either so it's not like you're going to see zillion of characters run around with rare auras.
    • Like x 5
  6. Kestral Committed Player

No.
    • Like x 9
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Well, as someone who busted his butt to buy (in the broker) 2 smokes, 2 nimbuses, 3 cosmics and the collections for 2 phoenix and void materials so I could have some of those on alts, it's a kick in the...well pistachios. I guess it's no more worse than them giving away the 1000 treasure boxes or other feats that people ground out, except that those things are not supposed to be 'rare' or 'limited' and they didn't potentially cost real world money, but let's put it in recent terms. How many people ground out the Mega caps, or (god forbid) bought them in the MP for a chance of getting a 2nd Scorching aura (the best one out of the group IMHO), or sprung for them in the broker if they didn't feel like gambling? Now a month or so later, all you need is one and all 16 toons on your account will be running around like flaming idiots.

Meh....I already have all auras and all but the chrome material, if anything I benefit more than others....I just don't like the cheapening of something I spend time and/or money to get now being available for every level 4 ship escapee alt out there. But hey, if it doesn't bother anyone else...no biggie...I doubt they were going to say, "Hey...we better stop development on that enhancement....Reinheld isn't happy with it"....I was just looking for a feeling on it from the community.

I do have one suggestion, is there a way to turn off the 'buy' option? My main has 19 pages of auras(and like 24 or 27 pages of chest/back/legs/etc...) and i'm not planning on buying them all on my alts. Would be nice to just see what they have, and if something comes up I want to get, I'd turn on the 'show available styles' or something so that I could see all the available ones I could buy.

And hey...at least now I can finally get that Gorgon Slayer belt I've not gotten for over a year. So there's that.

Reinheld
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I did say 'rare' though.....I'd say it is pretty rare to get the components to build any TC aura or material with the RNG drop rate. However, it does sound like Mats are out of the mix.

Sounds like everyone so far is fine with it. Was just asking.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  9. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Style Sharing should include EVERYTHING. ;) ;)

It will be a BIG help for those of us who have a LOT of Alts. Some styles are just wayyyyyyyyy too difficult to get on multiple characters.

Sadly..... it will not include the Materials. :(
    I was hoping to be able to share my Cosmic material to ALL my characters. :(

Oh well.

At least... I will be able to share my Batman Cowl. :p ;) ;)
    • Like x 11
  10. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

I have everthing including all mats and I like that ill be able to get my original plasmic on my alts along with maybe a og nimbus here and a black og smoke there.
    If you are talking about the Dark Knight cowl you can actually redeem it on every character on the account.
    • Like x 4
  11. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I was kidding...... AKA making a joke. :p

But thanks for the info. ;) ;)
    • Like x 1
  12. majosea Dedicated Player

what so I'm reading is you have og auras to sell , for inflated price
    and players will not buy it if they can just unlock it
    [IMG]
    • Like x 11
  13. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

Seconded.
    • Like x 1
  14. Black Eneas Active Player

I have purchased 2 plasmic auras cost me a lot yes.... But I would like this to be implemented why? Because not everyone has these auras, this is cosmetic and only people who were dedicated to the game has them. even if I lost money then I gain more from having my whole account have them. if I see someone else with it I know they earned it just like I have. and now if you had them stashed well your going to be even more happy cause account wide auras are worth a lot more than just 1 per character so I can see these og plasmics getting as high as runescape party hats so if anything stop crying. people that have them have them. people who don't have to pay a lot more for them. so chances are they not going to get them. so my 800m I paid for 1 will x4 the price if not more so it didn't actually hurt me at all. if anything its going to make it even harder to get.
    • Like x 2
  15. Proxystar #Perception

Is that you MattSuper1971?

What you're failing to realise is that those people have already got the aura's once, they're still limited time items, they're still not coming back, but why should you not be able to unlock them on other toons within your account.

If you miss out on a little bit of money or these things become a bit more affordable for other players that don't even have one yet, then forgive me for not crying for you.
    • Like x 9
  16. TestReporter Loyal Player

The price of unlocking a OG aura will probably be ridiculous, besides, the guy already spent hundreds of dollars or a lot of cash in the past to get the aura, it's only fair if he can unlock it in another char, even more when the auras aren't coming back and you want to have multiple "mains".
    • Like x 9
  17. Black Eneas Active Player

all of the you listed 2 smokes, 2 nimbuses, 3 cosmics will be worth even more than you paid for them. so busting your butt for only 2 or 3 picture those auras x4 the price for account wide instead of per character if anything you actually saved money
    • Like x 1
  18. tukuan Devoted Player

Since you are unlocking across the same account I can't see how that'd be anything but a good thing. I suppose if you spent either real dollars or ingame dollars to get say the same rare aura for more than one of your toons you might be po'd but really that has to be an exceptional case.
    • Like x 4
  19. Shark Dental Devoted Player

If anything, having the possibility to unlock them account wide would probably make them even more desireable and drive up the price for any player that doesn't have one, which is quite a large portion of the playerbase by now.
    • Like x 3
  20. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Why are you saying that 20000 Replays would be a ridiculous price to unlock an OG aura??
    Seems quite reasonable to me. :p ;) ;)
    • Like x 2